Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weight loss, tips results etc.

So i have been on a diet for 4 weeks now, only changed the amount of food i ate each day.... ;>

So far i've lost 7.4kg = 16,3 pounds.

i was just around 90kg before being 1.75high

What about you guys, how do you think i've done and how have you done yourselves?

I calculated that my calorie intake would be at 2500 something if i was to maintain my weight, the thing i did was to drink meal replacement shakes, 2 times a day, and then having my real dinner food. Which is around 600 calories all together.

so i've cut back from 2500-3500 calories a day, to 600 / day. the first week went extremely fast, and then it just went slower.

Do you guys have any tips on how to speed up the process again? -

I am drinking about 2½-3 liters of water each day

You've been losing 4 pounds a week and want to go faster??
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience (and that's purely based on how I lost weight, there's no scientific evidence behind it, so take it with a grain of salt), losing weight too fast might cause you to lose lean mass rather than only fat. I'm currently eating 2.300kcal a day, and my progression is way better than it was when I cutted to 1.600kcal. I'm losing weight really slow (around 1 pound per week) compared to my previous diet, but I feel better than before and my gym performance is way better than it was before.

Again, this might be pure bro-science, but I don't think 4 pounds per week is a good thing.

600 calories a day is NOT healthy.. for anyone. Your body burns a certain amount just EXISTING..

My body burns about 1.5-1700 just doing my normal daily routine, and I eat around 1200 calories a day to ultimately lose 1lb a week.

You seriously need to eat more.

Signature by Shyama!

600 is too low. Way too low. You will put your body into starvation mode.

Read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Read it again.

1 kilo a week would be max unless you were tremendously obese. If you are trying to maintain muscle mass you'd want to lose even less a week. During my cuts I only try to lose .5 kilo at the most.

However, if you are not doing any resistance training then I would at least suggest walking minimally 2 miles a day.

Also get your calories up where they should be. It's very unhealthy what you are doing. And don't replace meals with shakes. Only time I'd recommend shakes is if you need to add calories for protein intake and even then real food is better. Lean meats and lots of veggies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting healthy is not about impressive results and it is certainly not a race. Losing weight < being healthy. I've only been losing about 3 pounds a month but I don't mind because I'm not losing any muscle and look and feel SO much better. I'm not getting sick (haven't even had a cold for about a year), don't feel weak, have loads of energy, and don't constantly feel hungry. I eat about 2,000 calories a day even and I'm still losing, albeit slowly. Decidedly not a glorious way to lose weight, but I'm not interested in glory. What I do is permanently maintainable (eventually I'll plateau, and that's fine). What you're doing is essentially anorexia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Getting healthy is not about impressive results and it is certainly not a race. Losing weight < being healthy. I've only been losing about 3 pounds a month but I don't mind because I'm not losing any muscle and look and feel SO much better. I'm not getting sick (haven't even had a cold for about a year), don't feel weak, have loads of energy, and don't constantly feel hungry. I eat about 2,000 calories a day even and I'm still losing, albeit slowly. Decidedly not a glorious way to lose weight, but I'm not interested in glory. What I do is permanently maintainable (eventually I'll plateau, and that's fine). What you're doing is essentially anorexia.
    I don't think you understand what anorexia is, it's not being malnourished or super thin, it's a mental sickness

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that someone eating 600 calories a day in order to lose mass amounts of weight quickly and creating threads about it asking for tips to speed up the process might be displaying symptoms of anorexia. Maybe I didn't world it well, but I certainly know what it is. Being malnourished is not anorexia, but intentionally malnourishing yourself heavily suggests it, don't you think?

Going from 3k to 600 calories a day is putting your body into starvation mode. When this happens, your body actually stores fat instead of burning it.

If you really want to lose weight in a healthy way, you need to find a personal trainer who will put you on a proper diet and workout plan based on your current weight and your overall weight loss goals.

Asking people on MMO-C for advice is beyond pointless.

Deleted
    Why would it be beyond pointless?
    Why should i pay a personal trainer for something i can easily find out by asking other experienced people.
    It is a very simple thing.
    You need to have a calorie deficit. Achieve this by eating around 500 less than your daily need or eat more and do exercises.
    I run 3 times a week and hit the gym.
    Ask on reddit, there are some nice subs like /loseit .

Deleted
    Some people are misinformed about nutrition so some might think 600 is still enough, a friend of mine had no idea about nutrition and barely ate anything all day long and when i told him how to lose weight he wanted to lose weight fast but he was certaintly not showing any symptoms of it

Deleted
    I'm quite tall (if that matters since I thus become bigger) but for me it has worked to cut down to around 1,8k and walk or jog around 6 km a week when I've been out of shape. Slow and steady loss .5-1,2 kg a week depending on how you reach the cal goal. I'd also recommend to drink A LOT of water, keeps the hunger away and makes you more hydrated (which might help with the weight loss....?).

600 calories a day? Be realistic please, losing weight extremely fast can give you the wrong idea of how to keep weight off and all that shit.

1. Find out how much you're suppose to be eating by going off your height, weight, lifestyle, how much you want to lose per week (1-2kilos should be your goal)
    2. Get a proper diet, diet is key, exercise just helps you lose it faster and get stronger.

If you keep eating 600 calories a day when you eventually hit your goal weight you're just going to put most of it back on because you will want to eat more. If you get a good balanced diet that's healthy it might take you a little bit longer to reach that goal weight but you will feel A LOT better and will be able to keep it off a lot easier. You don't go on "diets" it's a lifestyle change.

Also replacing meals with shakes is a big no-no, eat proper food don't replace it with a shake.

January of last year I resolved to lose weight. Though my 6'5" frame could hide it pretty well I was 336 pounds. At 42 with a history of diabetes in the family and feeling numbness and light-headedness, I knew I was playing with fire. I couldn't even hold a fork without my fingers getting numb and having to put it down and flex it out. I cut out all drinks but water and a glass of skim milk, strive to eat less and avoid carbs as much as possible, fried foods, and stick to "healthy" vegetables and avoid sugars. Basically eat a bit less and eat better. I squeeze in a couple of hours of walking (I end up with about 6 - 8 miles on a normal day including incidental walking). I've managed to drop down to the low 190s (193 this morning). If I can do it anyone can do it. Just eat a little less, a little better, and get more exercise and the weight will come off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Understand, that the more weight you lose, the slower your weightloss will be. If you wanna keep a constant drop it'll end up harming you.

As Huskar says, Diet is key.

Hit a heavy bag.
    You don't have to be fast or strong or have perfect technique.
    Just keep punching it until you puke.

I went from weighing 235 to 205 during this past spring / summer.
    Drink 2-3 gallons water a day.
    As you diet, never aim to feel full; you should feel hungry all the time.
    Before you put anything in your mouth, drop and give me twenty.

10+ Year Old Account
    im sorry but 600 a day is way too low, that is literally dying.

you're already at 180 pounds, why do you want to go lower?

if its fat loss you want and muscle building go do strength training.

you will go into starvation mode which means you will start storing more fat and will start burning muscle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Everytime weight loss threads are all about calories, I feel like I am in the stone ages. Like blood sugar levels, hormones, vitamins have nothing to do with it, you just burn stuff like an oven.

Hey..here is a tip then: 50 grams a sugar and 50 grams of butter a day and your weight flies off. Will you like it? I doubt it.

How did I do it? Avoid sugar like the plaque (soft drinks, deserts, sweets)...and also carb heavy food like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, crisps etc - and ...sadly ...beer.

If you cannot say no to all that, you gotta be ready to take on some serious exercise....

The other very obvious thing is: The moment you go back to your old habits, the weight comes back.
    a lot of that stuff is pretty broscience man. Of course low intake of sugar is always healthier, but you don't need to reduce carbs to a max low to lose weight.

its all about calories in vs calories out.....of course it's better to have more protein intake and fats but carbs are also necessary. you eat less than you burn, you lose weight.

there's no magic to it. no diet pills, no reducing to zero carbs. just daily in caloric intake to daily caloric expenditure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    a lot of that stuff is pretty broscience man.

its all about calories in vs calories out.....
    Other way around, that's broscience man. As much as it's been believed for the past 30 years by the general population and there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support it, science has enabled us to look into how our body reacts to different macro nutrients. So far, what has been found is actually quite the opposite to what we were told before. As much as an energy balance may matter, the type of calorie makes a difference to how the body handles that energy. When our bodies have two different fuel burning methods, with one being far more efficient and better for your health, you would think people would jump on that right? Wrong. Why is that? Misinformation perhaps that has been controlled by big food?

www.nusi.org

The next few years are going to be huge for nutrition.

He's not going to die with a 600 calorie/day diet at his height/weight anytime soon, particularly if he has a large amount of fat reserves. The human body is much more resilient than some people seem to believe.

That being said, that is very low and not sustainable, not to mention unhealthy and counterproductive given the effect it's going to have on your metabolism.

Eat clean, up your calorie intake and start up a strength training program with some cardio a couple of days a week if you haven't done so already.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Going from 3k to 600 calories a day is putting your body into starvation mode. When this happens, your body actually stores fat instead of burning it.
    This is, of course, unequivocally false. Were it true, famine wouldn't be a thing. Consuming 600 calories/day is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, but "starvation mode" is completely irrelevant in this context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Eat clean, up your calorie intake and start up a strength training program with some cardio a couple of days a week if you haven't done so already.
    This is generally the only advice that's really needed for losing weight and getting in shape. We all more or less intuitively know what we should be eating and doing, it's just having the willpower to do it. It's not exactly a big secret that a plate with chicken breast, broccoli, and some beans is healthy, can taste pretty good, and is sufficiently satiating to aid weight loss. It's not much of a secret that doing a ton of pushups and running a few miles is good for you and aids weight loss. It's just a matter of developing good habits.

Worth mentioning - once good habits are developed, they're trivially easy to keep to. Research that I've seen points to habits taking something in the ballpark of a month to become ingrained. If you pick up an exercise regimen, do some resistance training twice a week, run three times a week, within about a month, it's such a habit that you no longer need willpower to do it, you just go do it as part of your day.