Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    i think you can travel everywhere in the EU with the ID card, except the UK, don't think that works here.

Deleted
    Latvian ID cards are accepted for domestic flights only. Traveling anywhere else? You'll need a passport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i think you can travel everywhere in the EU with the ID card, except the UK, don't think that works here.
    You can travel to the UK on an EU ID card, I know people that have done it.

You can travel in EU with ID card yes. But most companies do not accept it because they have out of EU customers and they can't let "illegals" in.

Passport is your best tool of identification
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

ID card does let you travel basically all over EU but not carrying a passport while travelling does sound stupid to me. Taking a road trip across Germany or France as a Scandinavian is one thing and taking a flight down to Greece is another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You can travel in EU with ID card yes. But most companies do not accept it because they have out of EU customers and they can't let "illegals" in.
    Do you know that, or are you just guessing? I've never heard of people having trouble flying out of Cyprus or Malta using just ID cards.

Illegals don't have EU ID cards. Foreigners with a temporary residence have a residence card, not an ID card.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do you know that, or are you just guessing? I've never heard of people having trouble flying out of Cyprus or Malta using just ID cards.
    i had troubles with using only my ID card on a flight from germany to austria
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

Passport is your best tool of identification
    Stop telling lies. I fly every week from Belgium to Germany, Poland, Netherlands, Greece all on my EU ID. NEVER had any airline say ANYTHING about it. Where are you pulling this info from? Online check in websites for all major airlines specifically ask if you are checking in with ID or Passport. They are NOT allowed to block me from travelling on my EU ID, it's the goddamn law.

"stop telling lies" etc. people. Good luck. I didn't say it doesn't work or isn't appropriate. I said it will not work every time and passport will be always more reliable tool in times when ID cards are deemed un-usable.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Once again: Eu is a continent. European Union is a Union of some of its countries. Some of the European Union membership are member of the "Schengen" treaty.

A Schengen ID is valid in all Schengen countrys. But not neccessarily in the other European Union Countrys, and not in "third countrys".

For some countrys, bilateral agreements (between the country and The EU Schengen part) allow use of Schengen ID cards as travel documents. (an Example would be Great Britain , UK(minus oversea parts), France other side of the ocean territorries (martinique) ( no idea how to translate it correctly , Territoires outre mere), but not valid in France-Guyana, Valid in Ireland or norway, swiss).

And yes, if u try to go from Austria to Germany on a train, that came from Belgrad , with course waggons from Budapest, and travels via Vienna / Passau to Frankfurt, with coursewagons to Paris, London, Basel, with over 50 different nations on a train, u better have a passport with you, or police while take you out of the train on a Border within Schengen. U might be able to travel on later, but by then the train is gone.

I have seen this that those "my id card is enough" guys get arrested, even if its very clear that this guy is from a Schengen country (driver licence, ID).

U better get yourself a Passport, or u might be screwed.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2014-10-09 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a passport to travel to other european (EU) countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    true, but if you want to avoid the hassle use your passport

we probably should look at the laws at this point to be certain
    There is no hassle. I travel regularly all around the EU zone. Nobody gives a crap about a passport when you flip a German ID card within schengen.

But that's where it ends. Outside of the EU your ID is worth crap

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware ID lets you travel in the EU, want to go anywhere else? use passport.

Whilst on this subject, what are the various requirements to carrying ID? For example in the Netherlands we are required by law to carry ID when we are over the age of 14. How is that in other countries?