Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    It is, if you are interested in these games and if there is that reality containing a future where you actually play all the games you own.
    Loved the sims 2, didnt think i'd like bejeweled 3 with all the modes, happy i was wrong, wing commander 3? yes, yes, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyken View Post
    EA - Origin, ive had problems with every single game i got. Ill never buy again from them.

I have like 7 Ubisoft games and ive never had a problem with any of them.Everything worked good.
    haha try playing a uplay game on release day, they are unplayable, far cry 3 was a burning pile of dung, at least origin gives you refunds for your games.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2014-10-10 at 01:14 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Loved the sims 2, didnt think i'd like bejeweled 3 with all the modes, happy i was wrong, wing commander 3? yes, yes, yes.

haha try playing a uplay game on release day, they are unplayable, far cry 3 was a burning pile of dung, at least origin gives you refunds for your games.
    The mere fact that people refund games simply because they arent working on release tells me something about the developers today. Or at least the people behind the developers who push for release.

A game should come out when its finnished.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Last time i checked Blizzard didnt release 15 expansions a year with a mimimum amount of content though. THats what really annoys me. You can push it a little, but EA just goes overboard with it.
    You can get every Battlefield 4 expansion for $10 more than a WoW expansion and that includes arguably the same if not more content without throwing micro transactions in your face. Doesn't sound like EA goes overboard with anything really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every online service like Steam, Origin, and Uplay. I think they're stupid. As a person who buys the actual disc version of games and despise the digital only model of gaming (I seriously believe it's an unhealthy model for video games. Convenient but unhealthy.) I will never use these services ever. Everybody praises Steam like it's the greatest thing in the world well that's fine but just like what Mechazod said it ruined PC gaming for me. The fact that you always have to register your game with Steam or Origin is just retarded. Why can't we just buy the game, enter the CD key and play it? Why do we have to go through the Steam or Origin bullshit all the time? It may not be every game that does this but it's enough to piss me off and turn me away from PC gaming. It's an unnecessary requirement and it's really annoying.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Every online service like Steam, Origin, and Uplay. I think they're stupid. As a person who buys the actual disc version of games and despise the digital only model of gaming (I seriously believe it's an unhealthy model for video games. Convenient but unhealthy.) I will never use these services ever. Everybody praises Steam like it's the greatest thing in the world well that's fine but just like what Mechazod said it ruined PC gaming for me. The fact that you always have to register your game with Steam or Origin is just retarded. Why can't we just buy the game, enter the CD key and play it? Why do we have to go through the Steam or Origin bullshit all the time? It may not be every game that does this but it's enough to piss me off and turn me away from PC gaming. It's an unnecessary requirement and it's really annoying.
    How much Steam is actually needed to play depends on two factors: use of Steam API and services, use of provided 3rd party services tied into Steam services. Otherwise sometimes games would even allow off-Steam starting of games - I have a friend who plays his Steam-registered games almost always offline this way.

I also think that Steam despite its flaws is an excellent tool to provide exposure to smaller developers and a far superior way of feedback aggregation. This is not just limited to indie releases but older releases as well. People are surprised to find out what game they have been missing out on until it got released on Steam. Also case in point: the game Pandora was distributed by Slitherine's own online service and per on-demand disc and they writhed and argued against Steam, it would totally destroy their game, their culture etc. and then they released it and suffice to say its release helped them a lot. Any successor will finally take into account the opinion of more than five vocal players they had on their forums. Another case is Matrix Games' Distant Worlds. Most people didn't know the series until latest Universe add-on, they had their own services (digital;on-disc) but it really helped them to get exposure to a game which is de facto unrivalled on the genre now. I could go on but it should be clear by now why services like Steam are helpful from a developer/publisher standpoint.

From a servicing standpoint centralized services like Steam have yet to meet a rivalling efficiency when it comes to patch and content distribution. Which is why services like Steam even require physically bought games (looks at Skyrim box *cough*) to register with Steam and enter your key there. From a technical standpoint this is no different if not vastly superior to ye olde SecuROM, TAGES or whatever abominations which often required you to crack your own legal copy in order to get your game running off-line and foremostly: off-disc. Sometimes your copy suddenly ceased to work due to marks of physical use, aging or simply because it doesn't like your new Bluray R/W drive.

Yes, it some people like physical media. I used to like them too. I ran into space problems in my old flat, in my new flat I have a room divider shelf (3.5 m x 2.5 m) which has plenty of space for more dust collectors however I am reserving that right to a few titles only few ones. I can also see why indie developers like it digital, the excess cost of physical distribution can contribute to a delay of a breakeven or even a loss, if the success is not as granted as it is for AAA titles then it's too much of a risk. There were always indie developers like Spiderweb Software which existed long before digital distribution was a thing, also called shareware developers, but ask them how Steam has impacted them: There are like thousand times more indie developers these days due to existence of services like Steam if not because of Steam, it also has changed how they think about sales: even niche developers like them have a lot more sales which allowed lowering of pricing. Overall it allowed them to continue to exist and thrive through this ghastly age of digital distribution.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I also think that Steam despite its flaws is an excellent tool to provide exposure to smaller developers and a far superior way of feedback aggregation.
    Their new discovery update has also improved this a lot, navigating the steam store was my biggest issue with the platform.

Games for Windows...there was a time I couldn't play Warhammer 40k because of that half-assed service. Oh my brother was playing my XBox with the same account? Sry can only have that account online once at a time...

U-Play is coming in second. I haven't had any connection issues with them, but it's just a dumb layer of DRM and account tying even when purchased through another provider.

Deleted
    I hate fact that Steam breaks EU law by not allowing refunds, and nobody sued them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    I hate fact that Steam breaks EU law by not allowing refunds, and nobody sued them yet.
    Germany is suing them. But that started a while ago and I'm sure on the status of that atm.

Requiring refunds from digital providers will open up a can of worms though, hence my belief it's a bad idea.

Origin by far. Someone managed to hijack my account. They couldn't change my password without access to my email but they managed to change the name and change the security question.

I try to change my name and it won't let me. I have to answer a security question I didn't setup. None of this can be reset by email. I had to call them.

Worst system ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    1.) Valve definitely got sued by the German Verbraucherzentrale (vzbv) over their reselling policy but they lost against them twice

2.) They are not breaking them and it's complicated:

They are carefully wording their policy and passing the buck to local lawmakers.
    The EU directive is pretty clear on this: digital downloads/content such as games, papers, books,photos etc. are neither goods nor services but digital products. Each digital product must list the hardware and software it requires to run as well the limitations (as some digital content may have regional restrictions). If it does not run under given interoperability then it is declared faulty and therefore you are entitled to a refund.
    You are also supposed to sign a contract (which is the EULA in 99.99% of the cases). If you signed the contract and started using the software then you are as per EU directive losing the right to withdraw from the contract. Each contract has a cooling-off period of 14 days by the way.
    Now about EULAs: Depending on how they are written they may be void (as in illegal junk) or enforcible (as in legal by the authoritative laws). Relying on EU directives in opposite to regulations won't get you far until the day EU has replaced your country's legislative authority since a directive only becomes law if your country puts them into laws. Local lawmakers may use the EU directive and creative a derivative local law which is entirely its purpose, expected and okay and if they haven't done so then blame your lawmakers really.

So the SSA saying "no refund unless local laws say so" is entirely correct.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2014-10-13 at 09:48 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

Deleted
    God damn steam, and their policies, damn laws not protecting customers, god damn double irish, dutch sandwich, someone should do something to stop those money grubbers from stealing from EU and their citizens.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are a Steam subscriber you are agreeing to a lot of things in return they allow you to use their service network.

For instance I have bought Civ5 as physical game but I registered and downloaded it via Steam nevertheless. If I had returned the physical copy of Civ 5 due to its aggravating instability then I could have still played it via Steam. It would have me agreeing to the EULA first though before downloading nevertheless my returning to the shop would have failed as per local law because I unsealed it.

Steam is seeing themselves as layer between publisher and consumer, they do occasionally provide refunds but there is a good reason why they do not do so as a general policy: it would scare publishers which are also only acting as far as the law permits it.

The problem is that it is difficult to verify whether software is faulty, Valve would have to run a huge QA lab for companies supposed to do QA themselves. People would also likely start to return on the grounds of "I finished the game. But it sucks. My character was forced to eat Marmite on Mämmi." and similar reasons if this restriction wouldn't exist.

Perhaps they will do that nevertheless seeing a lot of Early Access disasters are haunting Steam back. They might charge an extra QA tax in addition to the provision which anyone publishing content via their platform has to pay.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2014-10-13 at 10:28 AM.