Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Acceptance of this compensation should be conditional. You should be mandated to wear a sign that says "I am a fucking idiot" for 6 months.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post

???
    Oh now that's just mean.

I wouldn't make anyone wear one of those.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    You mean a candy that tastes like LIGHT.
    Ehh rainbows need both and I'm not sure light actually has a taste.

Snappy headline/post title, but almost completely wrong. Red Bull were not successfully sued - this is a settlement, not a verdict. Also,, as many others have pointed out, it had nothing to do with wings.

Also, while there is a lot of talk about the McDonald's coffee case, this one is completely different. The plaintiff in that case actually suffered a real serious injury and racked up big medical bills. The lack of universal health care in the US is a major driver in that kind of a case.

The Red Bull case is entirely driven by plaintiff class action lawyers. It is their business to aggregate a bunch of tiny claims, call it an injustice, and use the justice system to essentially blackmail deep pockets (large corporations or the government) to settle to avoid the costs of the lawsuit. This is a classic example of it. The people who suffered the harm get $10 (likely less after all the publicity floods the claims process and dilutes it) or $15 worth of the product that they say harmed them.

What do the lawyers get? $4,750,000. The rep plaintiffis get $5,000 each. The lawyers get 4.75 million. Everyone else? $10.

See question 19: energydrinksettlement.com/faq

I dont get why people drink red bull, ADD meds are much safer, they are a bit expensive but they get the job done!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I dont get why people drink red bull, ADD meds are much safer, they are a bit expensive but they get the job done!
    But I don't have ADD, I'm just thinking about things that are more interesting then what you're trying to tell me. So it LOOKS like I'm not paying attention.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    So ignoring the staggering amount of people in this thread who didn't read anything apparently but honestly think this is about wings...

In the US there are quite a few laws surrounding advertising claims and in particular ones that can be considered medical in nature -- IE -- improves performance, prevents disease.

There are also laws about comparison claims -- X out of Y people prefer this brand, this brand is better/stronger/faster than that other brand.

These laws exist for good reason. Because otherwise you would essentially have fraud -- and when you mix fraud in with medical claims you get a very very bad situation.

Sorry all you free market libertarian types -- common sense laws get to trump the free market now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Requite View Post
    What a pointless and rude comment to make, it's a class action law suit which means that it's involving thousands of customers when the final settlement is reached the parties will only get $10 dollars! Simple.
    I bet the lawyer representing the accusers will make considerably more than 10 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    So ignoring the staggering amount of people in this thread who didn't read anything apparently but honestly think this is about wings...

In the US there are quite a few laws surrounding advertising claims and in particular ones that can be considered medical in nature -- IE -- improves performance, prevents disease.

There are also laws about comparison claims -- X out of Y people prefer this brand, this brand is better/stronger/faster than that other brand.

These laws exist for good reason. Because otherwise you would essentially have fraud -- and when you mix fraud in with medical claims you get a very very bad situation.

Sorry all you free market libertarian types -- common sense laws get to trump the free market now and then.
    idk maybe its an old thing but for as long as I recall the red bull commercials have always included a "red bull does not give you wings, but something something wakefulness energy something"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we please stop with this whole compensation culture rubbish? Judges follow public policy which for the last 25 years has been against frivolous lawsuits. You can't even be compensated for pure economic loss; the idea of a compensation culture is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    East Texas is an area where you can sue someone and the jury will side with the claimant 90% of the time no matter what.

You might've heard where that woman successfully sued because she spilt hot coffee on her lap? East Texas. Smart lawyers struggle to get their cases moved there even if the thing they are suing over happened in Delaware.
    I learned about this in my law class. A little bit of info you are missing at the McDonalds would keep their coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). The lawyer argued McDonald's coffee was defective, claiming it was too hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment. Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants. So no they were not sued for the women spilling the coffee on her self, they were sued for keeping their coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C) and because of the temperate it caused suffered third-degree burn on a 79 year old woman.

let me also add

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for up to two years afterwards.
    Last edited by diamondjim; 2014-10-10 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Technique
    Capitalism and democracy are not synonymous

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    East Texas is an area where you can sue someone and the jury will side with the claimant 90% of the time no matter what.

You might've heard where that woman successfully sued because she spilt hot coffee on her lap? East Texas. Smart lawyers struggle to get their cases moved there even if the thing they are suing over happened in Delaware.
    Actually, the lady who dumped coffee in her lap won fair and square. You, like most people, seem to think she dumped some coffee and sued and won CUZ TEXANZ R DUM MKAAYYyyYYy. . . but in the real world of reality, the coffee was 200 F over the desired temp and burnt her almost to the bone, layers of skin peeled off her inner thighs and she had to have re constructive surgery to live. She simply wanted McDonalds to pay for the surgery, but they said no, so an investigation was started and uncovered that many of the McDonalds coffee makers were not regulating the heating element properly, causing coffee to become extremely hot and dangerous, some people have sued because the hot coffee burnt the inside of their mouths so badly, that there were holes in their faces. BUT THEY JUST DUM TAXANZ!

#TheMoreYouKnow . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Great example of why legal professions are held in contempt.
    Because people don't read the actual articles?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of that one electronic store that promised to sell stereos for 599 bananas. They had to honor exactly that.

Did.. this really happen? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    except A, not a frivolous law suit, B, they served too hot coffee that was the thing, It was by and of it self, even inside its cup, Dangerous.
    and you know, today, they serve their coffee colder, and in better cups.
    Or she could have not been completely retarded and put a cardboard cup of coffee between her legs. What did she think was going to happen? Even if the coffee had been a little bit cooler she still would have dealt with scarring and injuries. Frivolous lawsuit is frivolous.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Or she could have not been completely retarded and put a cardboard cup of coffee between her legs. What did she think was going to happen? Even if the coffee had been a little bit cooler she still would have dealt with scarring and injuries. Frivolous lawsuit is frivolous.
    She was held 20% liable. Its way too old a suit for people not to know basic shit about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    She was held 20% liable. Its way too old a suit for people not to know basic shit about it.
    No, there is a very good reason people dont know or have misinformation. Part of the settlement was that she had a gag order and McFood did not. So they could say anything they wanted about the case publicly, and she was prevented from correcting it or even responding.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Good, you know how many times I tried jumping off buildings after drinking a redbull? Too many. I deserve more than $10 compensation for all my medical bills, pain, and suffering.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Vyvanse is the only way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."