Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If it wasn't specified see what your state average is and that's what'll be used in court. Maybe it'll even be free. Depends how it was worded.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
    man up and speak to him about it. Stop being such a pathetic whiner.
    This. It sounds like you've "talked" to him, but nothing changes. It's obvious that you're just sitting there and allowing him to get away with all these things with no repercussions.

You've got a shitty roommate, which seems to be by choice that you let him rent with you, so you're going to have to deal with it. If he's eating all your food, invest in a smaller fridge for your room and lock your things in there. When it comes time for dinner, you cook enough for you and that's it. When it comes time for bills, he either pays on time or you start reporting him to the apartment manger.

Your best bet is to just contact the apartment manager and tell him what this guy is doing. I'm sure the manager isn't going to take kindly to a pothead renting from him, as he's going to have to rent that room out afterwards, and the smell of pot is going to make it harder to rent out. Personally, I'd rather get kicked out of the apartment now, then when going to rent another place, explain the situation to someone new. Doesn't seem to be that hard to go, "I was evicted from my last apartment because I had a roommate that smoked pot and as a result, we were both evicted."

Quote Originally Posted by Akorizina View Post
    One thing I was thinking - and let me know if you think this would work, is:
    I have some unpaid time off remaining at work still, if I take 1 day off for the next 3 weeks, I can show that this drops me below the whole "income must = at least 3x the rent" rule, and have my 3 most recent paystubs to back me up saying I just can't afford it
    That probably won't get you out of it if both of your names are on the lease unless you can show that the two of you combined don't make 3x the rent (and I wasn't aware of a loophole like that).

Also like interception said, if both your names are on the lease and he can't pay his half because you got him fired, then the landlord will likely expect you to pay the full thing. You could go talk to the landlord and see if you can work out a reasonable penalty for getting out of the lease, though again if both your names are on it, your roommate would probably have to agree to it also.

Now if he can't pay the rent, you can probably get him kicked out, but unless you have something in writing about how you are splitting the rent and he fights it, it will likely temporarily make your life hell living together.

Honestly, your roommate sounds like a douche and if both your names are on the lease, I don't see anything you can do that isn't going to potentially be hell for you. If you do try something, I highly suggest you move out first.

One thing you could maybe do if the utilities are in your name is move back with your mom, tell him you are cancelling them and he needs to set them up in his name, and then put your promised half of rent+utilities towards the rent. Sounds like he already can't get the money in time to keep them turned on and even less so if he has to buy his own food. Will probably make him more amiable to the idea of getting out of your lease.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been there and there's nothing you can do to change him. He's figured out he can leach off you and that your not really going to do anything about it. You have a place to go, so leave. Pay the fee to break the lease and leave him on his worthless ass wondering who's going to cook him some chicken.

He's making you his bitch, don't let him. Stop buying food - any food at all. Eat out every day if you must, but more realistically just buy no food and eat everything he has.

Scorched earth, son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I've been there and there's nothing you can do to change him. He's figured out he can leach off you and that your not really going to do anything about it. You have a place to go, so leave. Pay the fee to break the lease and leave him on his worthless ass wondering who's going to cook him some chicken.
    This.

I was in a similar but slightly different situation. I was living with a moocher like you, late on rent, bills, ate my food, etc. Now, my landlords (husband and wife) of the apartment complex HATED this kid. I was sick and tired of living with his disgusting ass, he never cleaned, showered, or washed his clothes. So rent was due, he didn't have it. I made a deal with the landlords to move to a different apartment and just roll my part of the rent into the deposit of the new place. I moved out while he was at work. His parents actually tried to sue me for this, and not only did I win the case, but I counter-sued and got 'restitution and damages' for having to deal with him for so long. All of about $1,200, which I just tossed at my landlord to cover rent for a few months. I stayed there for 5 years without issue, and never spoke to that kid again.

It's always amazing how people change when you live with them. I was best of friends with this guy, until we moved in together. I'm now insanely paranoid about who I room up with.

You need to talk to your landlord/manager about it. Tell them the issue, tell them what you want to do, and see if they'll work with you. Hell, you may be able to get him evicted and keep your place, and find another roommate. Unless the manager is just a total douchecanoe, they should be able to work with you. I'd bet money this isn't the first time, or last, that your manager has to deal with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Smoke all his weed and shit in this room. Same rules for everyone .