Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Problems with sleeping - Can't keep it right

I've got a bit of an issue with my sleeping and I don't know what might be most at fault.
    See, I keep pushing my sleeping ahead by about 1-2 hours every day. Two weeks back from today, I slept perfectly. I went to bed at a normal hour, 22:00 (10 in the evening), then the next day it's 1 hour later, 23:00. Next day another hour, 00:00.

It keeps going like that. So now, two weeks later I haven't slept at all and it's 8 in the morning. I was meant to go on a trip today but I can't, becaues I haven't slept at all even after trying. I suspect I will get sleepy-tired at around 10:00.
    Then I'll try to stay up, go to bed at seven in the evening or something and this pattern will repeat itself.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm considering regularly taking Melatonin supplements again, to help me get tired when I'm supposed to be tired.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did that when I was unemployed. When I got a job that required waking up at 5am every morning falling asleep at the right time quickly became natural. (tonight being an exception due to weekend and a sick wife.)

Deleted
    Not enough daily routine and/or not doing enough during the day can often cause this.

Exercize can help, not looking at a monitor/screen a couple of hours before bed can help, sleeping in a dark cool room can help, meditation can help, getting more routine can help, etc. there are many things you can try.

Deleted
    All the time!

My job was bartender (season ended monday gonna go talk about new job)

I woke up 9am (morning) worked till 10pm (evening) << thats work days, i get home like 22:32, im up till like 3-5am (fcking morning) i wake up again in 9am
    In weekends its same but i work 11am till like 2-3am (morning).
    Sometimes now, i can stay up 36h just chilling home with wife, playing wow and so on, im not even tired. tho its always been hard for me to wake up.

i guess people just have 2 types, the ones who like to sleep in day time and be awake in nights and people who like sleep in night and be awake in daytime. i think teacher @ biology mentioned it like back in school days (10y ago)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I did that when I was unemployed. When I got a job that required waking up at 5am every morning falling asleep at the right time quickly became natural. (tonight being an exception due to weekend and a sick wife.)
    I've had sleeping problems since my teens. Having something to wake up to has never helped. Infact it might make it worse, because it stresses me out to HAVE to wake up to something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Not enough daily routine and/or not doing enough during the day can often cause this.

Exercize can help, not looking at a monitor/screen a couple of hours before bed can help, sleeping in a dark cool room can help, meditation can help, getting more routine can help, etc. there are many things you can try.
    I think it might have to do with not actually doing something to get myself tired as one should be. Actual exercise could help, if I can keep that up. Melatonin supplement should aid well in getting tired normally too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I've had sleeping problems since my teens. Having something to wake up to has never helped. Infact it might make it worse, because it stresses me out to HAVE to wake up to something.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it might have to do with not actually doing something to get myself tired as one should be. Actual exercise could help, if I can keep that up. Melatonin supplement should aid well in getting tired normally too.
    Having a routine isn't as much having something to wake up to as it is consuming your energy reserves of the current day to be able to fall asleep easier, so yea I think routine with a good amount of exercise would do you some good. Melatonin supplement can't hurt to try, but for serious sleep deprivation it's really not a solution.

I don't take medication because I'm worried that I'll need to take it forever. Stress might be your problem.

Practice clearing your mind. Remove all thoughts. Nothing should be going on in your head at all. You can do this with practice. If you're truly sleepy you'll fall asleep.

Sexy time works for me too. It's kindof the same thing, you focus on something.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Perhaps you are like me, I used to have trouble going to sleep because I was always stressed, so lying quietly in my bed made it that much harder to avoid my mind freaking out. I take some medication now though, for my anxiety, that has alleviated the problem.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance