Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I think stories can be long and entertaining. In the same way say, lord of the rings was a good read that I didn't put down for weeks when I first read it and a day or two now. I enjoy long well written games. I'd submit that a growing inability to pay attention for long periods is leading to their downfall more than them getting stale after a day or two
    But not all game writers are J. R. R. Tolkien, mind that. You can't compare your average video-game writer to an actual writer. Besides, even Tolkien's work, be it 100% translated into game, would not be as entertaining as the same story in a book for various reasons.
    Space magic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n7stormreaver View Post
    But not all game writers are J. R. R. Tolkien, mind that. You can't compare your average video-game writer to an actual writer. Besides, even Tolkien's work, be it 100% translated into game, would not be as entertaining as the same story in a book for various reasons.
    Press A to listen to this 10 minute conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Press A to listen to this 10 minute conversation
    So, Metal Gear 4?
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Tolkien is wordy as hell and while an amazing writer his works could be cut down by quite a bit and still be just as good. Talk about filler, using that to prove a point just has me shaking my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    theres ALWAYS been shitty games. ALWAYS.
    Yes but we really are in an era of prolific shit, kind of goes hand in hand with becoming more mainstream, which is not to say that there are no good games being made anymore, however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    So, Metal Gear 4?
    Essentially yes, though I still love MGS games

So I guess I made fun of my own taste, dammit!

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So, Metal Gear 4?
    Not entirely, there is always something to see during longest cut-scenes (i.e. Volta River, Cemetary, etc.) and during Act Briefings you can fool around as Metal Gear Mk. II

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Tolkien is wordy as hell and while an amazing writer his works could be cut down by quite a bit and still be just as good. Talk about filler, using that to prove a point just has me shaking my head.
    Now, what exactly in line "be it 100% translated into game" you didn't understand?
    Last edited by n7stormreaver; 2014-10-11 at 10:01 AM.
    Space magic.

Which is why CD Project Red are the best

Not entirely, there is always something to see during longest cut-scenes (i.e. Volta River, Cemetary, etc.) and during Act Briefings you can fool around as Metal Gear Mk. II
    Eh, if the game needs to give you other things to do to keep you from getting bored while the exposition is going on, they really need to work on their pacing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    Which is why CD Project Red are the best
    CD Project Red doesn't exactly have a big track record, and are also selling a not finished game for preorder, 1 year in advance.

Deleted
    Play only good games then, like Hearthstone.

Now, what exactly in line "be it 100% translated into game" you didn't understand?
    Did you actually think I was disputing something you said? If so re read it, and think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    I wouldn't really call that a video game. It is just a card game.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    A mere three years after Skyrim is released and people are bitching up a storm about "no good games." What about bioshock infinite? What about Halo 4? Super Mario galaxy 2? Assassin's creed 4? Those weren't put out by "indie studios doing it for the art."

SOME of these games had DLC, sure... but none of it was "you can't finish the game's storyline without it and/or the game is unplayable."

DLC that's literally just added extras gets very little complaint in my book.

Now, something like Asura's wrath... that was pretty weasely of them. But Asura's wrath was more of an experiment of "why the hell not" in the first place, so...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    That's not a video game.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    So... Street Fighter is not a game, just martial arts?

10+ Year Old Account
    No no, don't you see, video games have to be grimdark and srs to count as "video games."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It's a digital trading card game.

It being in digital form is just for convenience.

You could play the exact same game in real life with real cards. It would play out EXACTLY the same.

Comparing that to street fighter = rofl

In most video games you are doing something that your body can't do in real life, even if you're playing some sports sim you're still playing as elite athletes that you could never be. You'll have to excuse me for not counting a digital version of magic the gathering as a "video game".

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Calling it good is even more of a stretch really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's a digital trading card game.

It being in digital form is just for convenience.

You could play the exact same game in real life with real cards.

Comparing that to street fighter = rofl
    Without the graphics, set up, card effects, animations, and all that jazz, sure.

I mean by that token I could real-life play streetfighter with my friends all I wish by gesticulating in the air wildly, just without the attack animations, automatic health counting, graphics, automatic combo recognition, and all that jazz.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.