Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Pro gun people: Whats your answer to this.

Regardless of Jim Jeffries being a comedian, he pretty much debunked every `solid` argument pro gun owners (family protection, gun safe, second amendment, only criminals will have guns, etc) have in this 15min bit.
    So my question to the Pro gun owners: Got any arguments left?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-10-11 at 09:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jefferies is a very crude but really funny guy, always seems half drunk when on stage.

But still, it doesn't matter how many logical debates or how much reason you try to apply to gun owners, you won't change there minds. They are going to want there guns because its a safety blanket to them.

Also, I always laugh at hearing about american freedoms for certain things, especially from republicans who want the freedom to do all the shit they do like have guns or have church forced on children in schools, yet when it comes to the rights of others who aren't republican white old fart americans, noo no no, no rights for anyone else.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2014-10-11 at 10:28 AM.
    #boycottchina

That was one of the best "anti-gun" pieces I have ever seen. It was hilarious and true. The best combo. There IS no argument except "F*ck off, I laik ganz" Let the debate commence!
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

The best part of that vid was right at the start: "people just like guns and it is the only argument they really have". Same is true of weed too, but you end up with all this facetious shit about medical weed and whatnot when it is really about potheads wanting to smoke pot, the end.

Deleted
    Policy is very rarely dictated by logic and reason, this phenomenon is not inclusive to gunlaws.

Seems like most of what this guys does is use an argumentum ad populum and pathetic rhetoric.

Probably the worst part is that OP is brainwashed to believe that this guy is trying to argue seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching it now, but my initial reaction, why would anyone get so excited over the fact "woohoo!!!! I can't own a gun"

Watched halfway through, is this really comedy? This seemed more like a public service announcement. I understand it, people can't be trusted with guns. 340,000,000 people live in the US, with our 300,000,000 guns, and we keep on trucken. For most Americans, life is good and safe. And if it someday it isn't safe, we won't be stuck with our pants down.

At least make me laugh, comedy right?
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2014-10-11 at 12:09 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My answer is... It's a joke? He doesn't debunk anything because he doesn't give any evidence supporting his claims. As a gun nut, I saw that special and remember that bit being funny as hell, but that means fuck all outside of its entertainment value. There are correlations with a reduction in gun crime and the lift of the Clinton ban. There is also evidence to show that while gun crime in England dropped after guns were banned, violent crime increased markedly. In the end it was a respectable comedian making a funny that was very funny, but don't try and drop it like it's evidence that anyone who supports gun ownership for a reason other than "I like guns" is wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Seems like most of what this guys does is use an argumentum ad populum and pathetic rhetoric.
    Probably the worst part is that OP is brainwashed to believe that this guy is trying to argue seriously.
    That translates to `Jim is dead on and i have nothing to argue against it so i rather call the OP brainwashed´ in what language?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Permatree View Post
    My answer is... It's a joke? He doesn't debunk anything because he doesn't give any evidence supporting his claims.
    He uses rationality. For instance, if you say you have a gun for protection, and you keep it in a safe, how is it going to protect you? That doesnt require statistical evidence, thats just rational fact. Only a lunatic would debate that. Same goes for the ´you cant change the 2nd amendment´ argument and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    That translates to `Jim is dead on and i have nothing to argue against it so i rather call the OP brainwashed´ in what language?
    Use Google Translate for "Strawman" and you'll get those results.

- - - Updated - - -

He uses rationality. If you say you have a gun for protection, and you keep it in a safe, how is it going to protect you? That doesnt require statistical evidence, its just fact.
    Argumentum ad populum+pathetic rhetoric. Logical fallacies, my boy.

i don't really care what anyone has to say about it. i'll want to have a gun to defend my family, no matter what. because even if something could happen before i could get to it, it's still there and if i could get to it in time, it would even the odds between me and the person that i would have exactly 0% chance of stopping any other way.

a knife only works if you're strong enough to use it.

also, i do not keep my gun in a safe. there are no children in our house to get hurt by it. the most likely gun related problem that will arise from it, is me one day finally getting the courage to kill myself.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2014-10-11 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    Argumentum ad populum+pathetic rhetoric. Logical fallacies, my boy.
    Debunk it with an example then. Ill be waiting.

Debunk it with an example then. Ill be waiting.
    I never made a claim that argued against him. I just pointed out his flaws. Are you trying to inflame me for no reason?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a super long thread already devoted to gun control. If you were to look at it, you would see all the pro gun arguments you want which for them answers the points the comedian makes. Of course if you are anti-gun then no matter what is said, you will dismiss it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hread/page1858
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2014-10-11 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    I never made a claim that argued against him. I just pointed out his flaws. Are you trying to inflame me for no reason?
    I would do no such thing. Its just that you claim there is a flaw in his reasoning, so id like you to point out the flaw.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was funny, I wont change any opinions though. Gun control works in Australia, I can't see it happening in America for some time, if ever.

I would do no such thing. Its just that you claim there is a flaw in his reasoning, so id like you to point out the flaw.
    I already did. Argumentum ad populum and pathetic rhetoric (pathetic has ties to "emotion" if you don't know your Greek roots). Also as stated earlier by another poster, lack of evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have 15 minutes to watch that, but that guy is funny.

The answer to gun control is banning assault rifles. They serve no real purpose to civilians and make bad shooters really effective with the amount of accurate lead they can spray. The rest is fine. Need personal protection, handgun. Need home protection and can't be arsed to learn to shoot, shotgun. Want to hunt, any long rifle with a big ass scope.

Nothing will really help though. Baddies with guns get them confiscated 90% of the time anyway. If ARs suddenly became illegal, people wouldn't just go turn them in and crazies or thieves would still have access to them.

Do what I do, be aware and keep your head down if shit goes down.

or protection, and you keep it in a safe, how is it going to protect you?
    Bio-Metric Speedsafe.

Yeah. Guess that kills that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Bio-Metric Speedsafe.

Yeah. Guess that kills that argument.
    I thought the SCOTUS knocked down the DC law that required your gun to be disassembled and placed away a few years ago. Same shit, different name I'd say.