Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[POC/WIP] Compact Garrison Mission UI

Hello there,

I've been working on an addon to (hopefully) improve the usability of the garrison mission user interface by replacing the stock one. While the default UI looks great with all thebells and whistles, it also wastes a lot of space and clarity.

Here's a screenshot (click for bigger size):

Basically it shows all missions with their properties, and also all followers with their abilities to counter the mission encounters.

The basics work (drag'n'dropping followers onto missions, starting/finishing missions), but some features are missing (regarding follower traits, tooltips, infos about followers etc.), so unfortunately not ETA for a release yet. My Lua skills aren't that great, and all the new garrison APIs are not yet documented (at least not on wowpedia), so that doesn't really help finishing it

Is there anything you guys would like to see in such an addon?
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-10-12 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    Hello there,

I've been working on an addon to (hopefully) improve the usability of the garrison mission user interface by replacing the stock one. While the default UI looks great with all thebells and whistles, it also wastes a lot of space and clarity.

Here's a screenshot (click for bigger size):

Basically it shows all missions with their properties, and also all followers with their abilities to counter the mission encounters.

The basics work (drag'n'dropping followers onto missions, starting/finishing missions), but some features are missing (regarding follower traits, tooltips, infos about followers etc.), so unfortunately not ETA for a release yet. My Lua skills aren't that great, and all the new garrison APIs are not yet documented (at least not on wowpedia), so that doesn't really help finishing it

Is there anything you guys would like to see in such an addon?
    I like it. So you can just drag and drop them straight from that screen without clicking on each mission? Can you post a shot of how it looks once you've placed a follower? I'd just like to see how it looks. And are you able to move them back and forth between missions? For example, if I drag X follower onto mission 1, and then decide I want him on Mission 6 instead, can I drag him from 1 to 6, or do I need to take him out of 1 back to the default and then to 6? (Hope that makes sense)

I only know of missions/followers what I've seen in Beta videos, but this seems to be a pretty good little addon. I'd like to see it in action if you feel like posting a video at any point.

Thanks for the work

Is it possible to hide what we don't want to look at ?

EG the Not Hired section. I don't really want to know about the followers I don't have , just the ones I have

Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    I like it. So you can just drag and drop them straight from that screen without clicking on each mission? Can you post a shot of how it looks once you've placed a follower? I'd just like to see how it looks. And are you able to move them back and forth between missions? For example, if I drag X follower onto mission 1, and then decide I want him on Mission 6 instead, can I drag him from 1 to 6, or do I need to take him out of 1 back to the default and then to 6? (Hope that makes sense)
    Yes, you can simply drag the follower from the list to a mission to assign him/her to that mission. After dragging a follower to a mission it looks exactly like the missions in the "in progress" section. Follower level and name, countered abilities dimmed.
    Dragging them from one mission to another does not work right now, but it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    Is it possible to hide what we don't want to look at ?

EG the Not Hired section. I don't really want to know about the followers I don't have , just the ones I have
    Not implemented at this moment, but it's something that's easy to put in there.

Deleted
    Looks very nice

Something I would like to see in such an add on would be a summary of abilities in available/all minions, eg. Interrupt x2, Danger zone x4, Timed Battle x0, etc.

Something way down the line to implement would be a sortable table/grid, with rows being your followers, and columns being abilities/traits

Edit: Graphically something like Wildstar's Rune Master:
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-10-12 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daiceman View Post
    Something I would like to see in such an add on would be a summary of abilities in available/all minions, eg. Interrupt x2, Danger zone x4, Timed Battle x0, etc.

Something way down the line to implement would be a sortable table/grid, with rows being your followers, and columns being abilities/traits

I specifically came back to this thread to post sort of the same idea.

Some way to sort your followers by available abilities, etc.

Or even a search function to quickly find followers with the abilities you're looking for. Let's say a bar at the top that has each ability, you click on the one you're looking for and it filters your followers by those abilities.

A lot of potential here, and a nice start.

Quote Originally Posted by daiceman View Post
    Like having the followers as rows and traits/abilities as columns? That'd definitely be a nice overview, it coulda also contain the XP, item level etc.

Or even a search function to quickly find followers with the abilities you're looking for. Let's say a bar at the top that has each ability, you click on the one you're looking for and it filters your followers by those abilities.
    You mean in that overview table?

Like having the followers as rows and traits/abilities as columns? That'd definitely be a nice overview, it coulda also contain the XP, item level etc.

You mean in that overview table?
    Something along those lines could work, yeah.

Hey there,

still working on it, here's a new screenshot:

On the outside not that much changed, but on the inside there were many changes (in fact I pretty much rewrote what I had in my first post. I'm learning at a geometric rate). Some items got rearranged, Mission mechanics are bigger and bettervisible; cost, base experience, and average follower item level are displayed.

Biggest change it the highlight functionality. When you hover the mouse over a mission (in the screenshot it's "An Eye for Terror", unfortunately the mouse cursor is not in the screenshot) the followers that can counter the mechanics are highlighted (indicated by teh light gray background). It also works the other way around, i.e. hovering over a follower will highlight the missions that have mechanics that can be countered.

What's still completely missing is everything trait related.

Really love the overall look from screenshots. Going to be something i will use for sure .. Does it or will it come in pink though?

lol at Hugh

This addon looks great. Do you think it will be released by the time WoD comes out? Not sure how polished you want it is why I am asking Looks wonderful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    lol at Hugh

This addon looks great. Do you think it will be released by the time WoD comes out? Not sure how polished you want it is why I am asking Looks wonderful so far.
    How polished? As much as possible Beta will probably end pretty soon, and once WoD is released I'd rather spend my time with that than programming. I guess I could then release it as a alpha in whatever state it is. After all, it already helps quite a lot if you want to distribute your followers over multiple missions.

I hope you didn't take that as an insult. Def not how I meant it. I think the addon is awesome, and I can't wait to be able to use it!

Hey there,

On the outside not that much changed, but on the inside there were many changes (in fact I pretty much rewrote what I had in my first post. I'm learning at a geometric rate). Some items got rearranged, Mission mechanics are bigger and bettervisible; cost, base experience, and average follower item level are displayed.

Biggest change it the highlight functionality. When you hover the mouse over a mission (in the screenshot it's "An Eye for Terror", unfortunately the mouse cursor is not in the screenshot) the followers that can counter the mechanics are highlighted (indicated by teh light gray background). It also works the other way around, i.e. hovering over a follower will highlight the missions that have mechanics that can be countered.

The highlight thing is great, keep it going. Please make sure to post once it's done and point us to it when WoD comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there,

The highlight thing is great, keep it going. Please make sure to post once it's done and point us to it when WoD comes out.

One question with the highlight feature, is it only on mouseover? If so, maybe add the option to click the mission and keep the followers highlighted so you can look through the available followers? (It might already work this way, just checking).

Would be nicer to be able to click and then mouseover the highlights than removing highlights if mission isn't moused'over. Hope that makes sense.

One question with the highlight feature, is it only on mouseover? If so, maybe add the option to click the mission and keep the followers highlighted so you can look through the available followers? (It might already work this way, just checking).
    You mean that you could highlight followers for 2 (or more) missions on the same time? What exactly do you want to achieve with this information?

Also, new screenshot:

Rearranged/changed the mechanics icons a bit. The mechanics the follower can counter are now highlighted in the mission frame. Also works the other way around (hovering over a mission will highlight the apropriate icons in the follower frame.

Love the base UI.

Would appreciate databroker integration as well as alt support-- I use broker_garrisons now, but would prefer to keep it all in one addon (yours).

Have you chosen a name for your addon yet? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    Have you chosen a name for your addon yet? Just curious
    "Compact Missions" Yeah, nothing fancy, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. Since the beta ends a bit earlier than I expected I've packaged up what I have now and created a project at Curseforge: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/compact-missions/
    It's still waiting for approval, so you can't access the download yet. If I understand the page correctly you won't be able to install it using the Curse client, because it's marked as an alpha release.

Since this is an alpha version, there are some are some bugs/problems:
    • After login, you have to reload your interface (/reload or /console reloadui) to get the addon to display anythign
    • Blizzard's original Garrison Mission UI has to be opened to start and end missions in the addon
    • No tooltips whatsoever
    • Due to text comparisons, it will likely only work with the english client (localizitaion support is there, though, just no other localizations than english)
    • Experience rewards higher than 9999 will be displayed as something like "100..."
    • Experience increasing party buffs are not applied to experience rewards. It's only a visual glitch, as in the default UI
    • Encounters that have the same mechanic twice will be shown as 2/2 even when you only add one counter to the mission (that's due to a bug in the API)
    • Some party buffs might not be applied correctly (like the reduced travel time), simply because I did not see them in beta

- - - Updated - - -

It's been approved and can be downloaded at http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/compact-missions/

You mean that you could highlight followers for 2 (or more) missions on the same time? What exactly do you want to achieve with this information?
    I guess I'm asking: Does the mission highlight on mouseover, or on click?

If mouseover, it would drop the highlight when NOT moused over, and you would lose the follower highlights. I guess I'm hoping that we can click the mission to keep the followers highlighted while we peruse and plan, rather than having to stay moused over a mission which could be a minor irritation.

Chances are it's on click, but I was just curious.