Page 1 of 90
... LastLast

[6.0 Guide] Protection - "We still have heroic strike, don't be jealous"

Feel free to nuke this post, i don't intend to maintain it for level 100.

Warlords's of Draenor protection warrior guides:

Get SimulationCraft and learn how to use it:
    Last edited by booi; 2015-01-13 at 04:31 PM.

Looks solid, only thing I would change is that crit will (probably) surpass Mastery in value in general if Shield Barrier and if Resolve is fixed and the single-target DRs are removed.

Also, I would add that Ravager becomes valuable in RPS gains due to the additional 30% parry, so it can be used as a rage gen talent. Unfortunately this will also be limited in effectiveness due to Resolve.

Finally, although niche, Anger Management is surprisingly useful in control/CC conditions, notably challenge modes or encounters that require a lot of stuns (i.e., Blast Furnace), since you average at least 2-3 seconds off Shockwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Charble View Post
    Looks solid, only thing I would change is that crit will (probably) surpass Mastery in value in general if Shield Barrier and if Resolve is fixed and the single-target DRs are removed.
    I don't think blizzard is under the impression that it needs to be fixed - I think it's where they want it.

I can understand them ending up there and not fixing it, but I really hope a situation where warriors outperform monks, druids, and DKs by a factor of 3-4 is not "what they want."
    Being perfectly honest here, it's fucking retarded; the DRs constitute about 50-60% of problems with tanks right now.

I'd take Impending over ER with how shit Barrier is.
    Last edited by Gliff; 2014-10-11 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    I'd taking Impending over ER with how shit Barrier is.
    edited post to accommodate. my typical argument is "both heal for 30%/min one is off the gcd". But with the devaluation of barrier, and the increased frequency - I can see the appeal.

The argument against second wind is basically "Even with 100% uptime you're looking at a ~56% heal every minute". Uptime rates are typically in the single digits. So if you just hit IV or ER during those spikes you're much further ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by booi View Post
    edited post to accommodate. my typical argument is "both heal for 30%/min one is off the gcd". But with the devaluation of barrier, and the increased frequency - I can see the appeal.

The argument against second wind is basically "Even with 100% uptime you're looking at a ~56% heal every minute". Uptime rates are typically in the single digits. So if you just hit IV or ER during those spikes you're much further ahead.

Keep the 10 rage cost on Impending Victory in mind, you can basically reduce its value by the value of an extra 10 rage into your next Shield Barrier, plus another 10 rage if Devastate would have Crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Keep the 10 rage cost on Impending Victory in mind, you can basically reduce its value by the value of an extra 10 rage into your next Shield Barrier, plus another 10 rage if Devastate would have Crit.
    I'll take a 20% heal for 20 rage all day considering Barrier is nowhere close to 1% absorb for every 1 rage even with 200% resolve.

ER is not a 20% heal. It's a 10% heal and a 10% HoT which I personally devalue in most cases.

hahaha. I don't know anything about tanking, but I like the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    ER is not a 20% heal. It's a 10% heal and a 10% HoT which I personally devalue in most cases.

I would devalue it with the current healing style where being topped off is what matters. However with the changes to healing and the fact that we're expected to not be at full health constantly, and no longer in danger of being 1 shot when Block is down, I'll take the free 10%+10% HoT and the 20 rage Barrier any day of the week.

Nice guide, thanks for the work, I have just a bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism.

When writing a guide, try to make it your own. There's nothing wrong with using another guide for formatting or inspiration, but put a little effort into it to make it unique to you, ya know? A picture, some color, a different font even. It personalizes things. Not trying to be overly critical or bash your work, but I think it goes a long way towards creating a better product for yourself and the reader.

Overall it is good information and thank you for putting it together.

Edit: One other thing, something I told Collision as well; considering it is a 6.0 guide I would only list things relevant to level 90, not 100. I know it doesn't really change data for Warriors as much as other classes, but it creates less confusion in my opinion.

Waaait a minute...in this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-thread/page36

they keep saying crit is slightly above mastery...I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    Waaait a minute...in this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-thread/page36

they keep saying crit is slightly above mastery...I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!!!

The graph in that thread covers TMI, DPS and Gladiator DPS. It has no information about DTPS. That's where Mastery pulls ahead of Crit.

Regarding this thread stating that Crit=~Mastery for TMI, its likely due to those being numbers based on T17 at level 100, and this thread being based on T16 at level 90. Things will obviously change once we hit level 100 and start getting Heroic gear, at which point Crit should start to pull ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    The graph in that thread covers TMI, DPS and Gladiator DPS. It has no information about DTPS. That's where Mastery pulls ahead of Crit.

Regarding this thread stating that Crit=~Mastery for TMI, its likely due to those being numbers based on T17 at level 100, and this thread being based on T16 at level 90. Things will obviously change once we hit level 100 and start getting Heroic gear, at which point Crit should start to pull ahead.
    Ah that makes more sense. I think I'll just aim for gear with both until I get to 100 and then try out being a crit fiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your 2 graphs use sudden death, yet the example talents show heavy repo on tier 45. We are probably going to want to be taking heavy repo anyways, right? It seem that heavy repo gives you a nice damage bump for ensuring your SB is active every 18 seconds as you note. Taking sudden death is a reduction in TMI and an increase in DTPS, yes?
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

i think i am going to switch protection because dps spec totaly suxx, so i try to understand some few things, what mean TMI and DTPS ?

DTPS - Damage Taken per Second
    TMI - Theck's Meloree(sp?) Index

TMI is a creation of Theck's @ http://www.sacredduty.net/. If you go searching on there, he'll explain how it's calculated, but a TLDR version is that it is a measure of how 'spiky' incoming damage is on a tank over any 6 second period. Some stats are better than others at reducing spikes, while some stats are better at reducing the average damage taken per second.

You can have situations where TMI is lower, but your average DTPS is higher. This is generally preferable for healers, since you're not constantly spiking down to 20% hp as much. You might take more damage overall, but it is predictable and easily handled.
    Last edited by CollisionTD; 2014-10-12 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nerocell View Post
    i think i am going to switch protection because dps spec totaly suxx, so i try to understand some few things, what mean TMI and DTPS ?
    TMI is a measurement of survability from a tank, more info here @ http://www.sacredduty.net/theck-melo...ence-document/

DTPS is Damage Taken Per Second

Deleted
    "18 seconds up, 18 seconds down.
    Essentially consume all your charges, and when shield block is falling off you start rolling your other CDs or call for an external. Allow the charges to climb back to two, and repeat the process."

Bit tired but did duration/charges for shieldblock change ? Otherwise its 12 seconds up and with new recharge its 24 sec down ?
    Either way, not sure i agree with that. I'd use both on pull and keep using once first recharged. Why let it go back to 2 ?
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2014-10-12 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    "18 seconds up, 18 seconds down.
    Essentially consume all your charges, and when shield block is falling off you start rolling your other CDs or call for an external. Allow the charges to climb back to two, and repeat the process."

Bit tired but did duration/charges for shieldblock change ? Otherwise its 12 seconds up and with new recharge its 24 sec down ?
    Either way, not sure i agree with that. I would never let it reach 2 again and outside pull/cd's I'd rarely use both charges. The charges are independent so uptime isn't affected, ye ?
    Its 6 seconds uptime with a 12 second recharge, which lets you cast 2 shield blocks, and right as your second shield block is falling off, you'll gain a third charge of shield block. Then its just a matter of sitting on a charge, pressing it when you have ~6 seconds left before your second shield block comes back up, and then when your second falls off again, you can press it again.

Rinse Repeat.