Criminal History Help

I am going to make this clear now. I will be extremely vague but I or my family have no idea where to even start for help. So I am looking for advice from people who may have had similar issues and how it was solved. To make a long story short and simple a family member of mine has been incarcerated for a long while. He was a first time offender but received a MASSIVE (and illegal) length sentence. Despite fighting the case for so long nothing has happened. Recently it came to light that he has previous offenses on his record which ARE NOT HIS. They belong to someone else who had the same name, lived near us (one town over) and a similar birth date them. We are at a loss as to how to rectify this mistake. We brought it to the attention of the authorities but that fell on deaf ears. I am desperate for answers so if anyone has ANY suggestions I am all ears.

Lawyer up. Shop for one, it's crazy how much the prices and quality differs for lawyers.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

We tried lawyers, crazy expensive, money we don't exactly have, any other options?

Contact some news station/paper?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    We tried lawyers, crazy expensive, money we don't exactly have, any other options?
    nope.

find a lawyer that will work for contingency. means they wont charge you until after the case.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Train yourself like the prisoners do. Talk to a paralegal.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am going to make this clear now. I will be extremely vague but I or my family have no idea where to even start for help. So I am looking for advice from people who may have had similar issues and how it was solved. To make a long story short and simple a family member of mine has been incarcerated for a long while. He was a first time offender but received a MASSIVE (and illegal) length sentence. Despite fighting the case for so long nothing has happened. Recently it came to light that he has previous offenses on his record which ARE NOT HIS. They belong to someone else who had the same name, lived near us (one town over) and a similar birth date them. We are at a loss as to how to rectify this mistake. We brought it to the attention of the authorities but that fell on deaf ears. I am desperate for answers so if anyone has ANY suggestions I am all ears.
    Sounds like your family member that is incarcerated should be spending a bunch of time in the library learning some law. It's not like they don't have a bunch of free time. They should be able to spend 8-10 hours per day researching what they need to do.

If they can't be asked to help themselves in such a manner, then they probably don't deserve to have the sentence reduced.

Call your local Legal Aide Society, they can help you find an attorney who knows how to handle this and may be able to help you with cost. Good luck

Unfortunately, no. You can maybe try going public with your story (contact newspapers/stations) and hoping a lawyer will work with it for the publicity.

Was the lengthy prison sentence the direct result of the prior convictions? It would have been brought up in court during sentencing, and that was the time to raise the objection, not after the fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lawyer it up. Thats really your only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give media as much info as posible. The pressure on police will force them too take a second look.
    After this change his name.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Contact some news station/paper?
    This! As I see it this is quite the scandal. Newspapers will drool and some high profiled mediahorny lawyer will come to save the day.

You are not going to get anywhere without a lawyer. If you can not afford one figure out how to go about it.

You can involve media or human rights groups but this is still just a means to getting a good lawyer...without that you might as well just give up.