Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frustrated that there are no Triple A Stargate Franchise Games

I just finished watching all 10 seasons of the old Stargate Sg1 Showtime/Syfy show on amazon prime.

After and nearing viewing it completion I began to heavily crave playing a game based on the Stargate universe, I quickly discovered that no major stargate games ever saw the light of day. Stargate alliance got canned in 2005 and the MMO stargate worlds was suppose to come out in like 2009 and there was some sort of scandal and MGM pulled their license and the MMO got canned as well.

I think Stargate would make for an excellent Action adventure game in third person or an FPS/Action game. I would prefer playing as Jack O'neil, Teal'c, or Ben Browder's character.

Checked out the videos of the MMO alpha or beta whatever and some of it made the game look very promising. The graphics were not that good but thats not important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to think I was the only one.

Yeah the whole setting is awesome for some sort of adventure type MMO. However since SG was mostly canned after the MGM bankruptcy and what followed, i highly doubt we'll see any triple A SG game before (if ever ) they relaunch SGA/SGU or come up with a new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I used to think I was the only one.
    Not even close. I rewatch all the stargates a few times a year, the day an mmo comes out that's of decent quality for it is the day I have an mmo for life
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I'm not huge on SG, as I've only watched a couple episodes, but, if I were to develop a SG game, I think a COOP ARPG (3rd person, not isometric) with procedurally generated areas and a central hub is what I'd do.

I always wanted a video game based off SGA. The Wraith/Genni-SG Team war would've been a great setting; would love a quality SG game. Too bad the IP is in stasis now.

I was part of the SGW community from the beginning. Biggest train wreck ever. I think the Stargate universe would have made a good setting for a game.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

There was Stargate game on Sega Genesis back then. It was 2D Action game, and it was Nintendo hard. Maybe it will help you to partially satiate your hunger for Stargate-based game.

Now that's an interesting idea. I LOVED the original SG movie with Kurt Russell, and watched the first few TV seasons religiously. While I haven't seen all the latest seasons, a game is still a great idea because the story line I think is still awesome.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

I think there was be it was cheesey as fuck. The show would be pretty hard to translate into a game without being overly cheesey imo. Lets work on getting it back on tv first.

I'm not alone in this world!
    All we really had was that poor poor poor mmo thing

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Not even close. I rewatch all the stargates a few times a year, the day an mmo comes out that's of decent quality for it is the day I have an mmo for life
    Are you sure about that, I think it is like nearly 1 month of solid viewing non stop to watch them all

And there was a stargate game but it crashed and burned, cheyenne mountain entertainment I think. Another MMO dream.

Always thought stargate would suit a sort of "reverse xcom" format. Send teams to other planets, recover technology, manage stargate command with research and such, manage strategic relationships for perks and whatnot. Maybe throw in some space battles and defense battles in there somewhere.

They can't even keep the franchise on a 3rd tier cable tv station and you think the franchise could support a AAA budget?

SGU wasn't that good, but it didn't warrant the entire franchise disappearing, it also got cancelled just when the show started to get DECENT. A new series or re boot could have done well. Oh Syfy how you suck.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-10-13 at 07:22 AM.

Deleted
    Stargate...the best sci-fi show I've ever seen.. how I miss you

I would love to play a decent Stargate game, but I think it's time to accept that the franchise is gone..

Whilst i love me some stargate 'triple A' in todays game climate just means 'unfinished, rushed out product with the rest of the game as poorely made dlc later' so i stick with reruns or netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Whilst i love me some stargate 'triple A' in todays game climate just means 'unfinished, rushed out product with the rest of the game as poorely made dlc later' so i stick with reruns or netflix.
    God damnit, I wish you were wrong. If they took SG on a money bomb ride through an MMO park I would lose all faith in the MMO industry for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2014-10-13 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How did the lawsuit among the Cheyenne guys end up? Think I recall something about suing over who could keep scamming pe-I mean, aggressively market for investors. Did the employees ever get paid?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I tried watching it once but it was terrible.. all the aliens were too modern and spoke modern English. Whats up with that? And the bad guys, what were they called again, got really crappy tech. Stargate Atlantis was pretty good though if you could look past those problems and a limited cast so the same actor who played a farmer in one episode showed up again as an alien wizard in another etc..

OT though, I think the show would need a more modern remake first and then perhaps a game.

I would rather see some closure to SGU first. It would've made a great game in the hands of the right developer. I'm a little saddened that they're rebooting the franchise with a movie trilogy a few years from now, that's the last thing I wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I would love to play a decent Stargate game, but I think it's time to accept that the franchise is gone..
    At this point, this would be the wisest course of action for all of us to take. Better to leave it at that and appreciate the IP for how great it was rather than be revolted by some heinously terrible new installment, even if it was a game.