Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First Build and First Post, Thank you for your help!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and providing any helpful information that you can.
    First off I have two computers I'm going to work on, one is a completely new build and the other will be a bit of a upgrade to my current sadly out of date PC (that will be for my wife to toy around in WoD an such).

1) This is my current PC that I want to upgrade for the wife to play on:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 8750 triple core processor 2.40GHz
    Motherboard: MSI Platinum K9N2 SLI
    Memory: 8GB Crucial DDR2
    Storage: Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue
    GPU: NVIDA Geforce GTX 460v2
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500D
    Case: Antec 900
    Optical Drive: Sony

I'm wondering if just upgrading the CPU to some i3 will be compatible and function well enough for a very entry lvl gaming. We will not need any peripherals for this system. The system currently works but feeling I should/could do something to better it for her =)

2) I am going to build a new PC and intend to use it for daily normal internet surfing and gaming. I only currently plan to play WoD, however, I could get back into D3, PoE, LoL or other similar games. I want the system to operate smoothly in all facets of the game (raiding/pvp/pve). FPS is what I'm lookin for.

BUDGET: I'm not really working on a budget, however, I'm not looking to spend money just for epeen.
    RESOLUTION: I recently bought a LG IPS LED Monitor 27" (the screen recommended resolution says 1920x1080) I'm interested in the G-SYNC or similar.
    GAMES/SETTINGS: WoD ultra
    ANY OTHER INTESIVE SOFTWEAR OR SPECIAL THINGS: No
    PARTS THAT CAN BE REUSED: NO
    DO YOU NEED A OS: YES
    DO YOU NEED PERIPHERALS: No I have Razer Naga Mouse, Razer Anansi Keyboard and Astro Headset (may be interested in a new headset)

I created a system via PCPartPicker I have not chosen a Case and would like suggestions. I have never Overclocked anything and that's why I have chosen items already OC'ed. Also, I have never dealt with any cooling systems so the more simplistic the better imo.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $59.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $124.99
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 $74.99
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $128.99
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5: 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $339.99
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.98
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98
    Total: $1195

I had to type this all out instead of including links due to MMO new poster guild lines.. hope it's not a problem.
    Thank you all for you input and I look forward to completing this project and getting back into the game!

Deleted
    1. For the wife's rig, upgrading cpu means mobo and ram as well. This would look like the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.66 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $278.64
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 03:39 EDT-0400

2. Your build seems fine, it can be improved tho.
    - Ram, Gskill sniper usually is cheaper
    - The mobo you chose, is a micro one, in case you didn't notice or you for a micro build.
    - Samsung pro, you can get a crucial MX100 for less.
    - The ACX evga cooler is crap. Either get version 2 or personally i would go for the gigabyte or asus one.
    - 60bucks cooler is nice but for a more expensive mobo, unless as i said you go specifically micro build.

Thanks Kostattoo,

I figured I was going to have to replace more then the CPU for the wife's rig. Should I go with the G.Skill ram there as well?

As for my build; I was looking at the G.Skill Ram but couldn't differentiate between the "sniper" and the "ripjaw(x)(z)" if one version is designed better or why to choose one over the other.

I was NOT aware that the mobo was for a micro build. I was just reading reviews and such and it seemed to be strongly suggested and such. I'm completely open to a different mobo.

The Samsung pro I have read that it has much better read/write speeds for ~$20 so unless someone has some practical exp then I will most likely stick with the Samsung ssd.

Do you mean the Video card (gpu) is crap? I only chose it because it came pre-overclocked and I'm looking to have items ready to go once they arrive. Do I need to have a specific brand of GPU to do G-SYNC? Any G-SYNC support or suggestions would be great (is my monitor compatible?)

Is the cooler not sufficient/compatible? (I'm truly new to most any sort of PC lingo or building and I assume "mico build" means simply as it sounds... small) Would you suggest another (preferably low-no maintenance)?

I'm looking to build a PC with a case that can withstand future upgrades as well.

Again, thank you all for the shared information and help!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd wait on the 840 EVO until they patch out the read speed (or becomes lack thereof) firmware bug.

GPU isn't really 'crap' per se, but there are better imo.

G-sync works with 5xx+ Nvidia cards(?) I think?
    Unless there's a G-sync IPS I'm not aware of, it's not compatible.

Micro is a form size for case and mother boards.

Deleted
    What i meant for the gpu was that the first version of the evga (first cooler version wasn't good) and as Remilia said there is better (msi-asus and gigabyte G1 being the best imo). The cooler is good but if you sucrificing budget from getting a better mobo isn't worth it. Considering the non micro gigabyte gaming 5 is more expensive).

This is the same money as yours plus the case (good quality case but looks are subjective):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($364.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1298.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 04:47 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'd wait on the 840 EVO until they patch out the read speed (or becomes lack thereof) firmware bug.

GPU isn't really 'crap' per se, but there are better imo.

G-sync works with 5xx+ Nvidia cards(?) I think?
    Unless there's a G-sync IPS I'm not aware of, it's not compatible.

Micro is a form size for case and mother boards.
    Thank you for the information on the SSD, not sure I want to wait on the patch so I may go with the Crucial MX100 if I don't fine information resolving the issue soon.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the PCPartPicker list of my current components Kostattoo. A couple questions I have.

1) Is the CPU you listed able to be overclocked? (Do I want to or will overclocking help WoD?)
    2) The G.Skill ram is merely $6 more then the stuff you listed for the wife's rig. any reason to save the $6 vs the upgrade of the Ram?
    3) I'm seeing the GPU is not compatible with G-SYNC (I think) also is it capable of being overclocked or is there one that would out preform this one within ~$400 range.
    4) I'm not sold on the case. I am going to read through some more tonight and I will list ones I like. I kind of see the case as like a house.. you can replace all the insides but your investing in the case/house more so indefinitely, so I'm willing to spend up to $300 or so.
    5) Monitors; as I posted above I bought a LG IPS LED Monitor 27" however I'm willing to pick up a different one if the picture/gaming quality will increase.

Thanks again

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes. Whether you want to or not is up to you, but it would help out a tiny bit in WoD.
    2. It's higher frequency, but maybe not get it, it's 1.6V as opposed to the recommended 1.5V for Haswell processor.
    3. It's G-sync capable. It's mainly the monitor that needs to have the G-sync module in order to work.
    5. Price range?
    General all around performing is the U2414H.
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/cor...-and-amd-gpus/
    Should always be noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    1. Yes. Whether you want to or not is up to you, but it would help out a tiny bit in WoD.
    2. It's higher frequency, but maybe not get it, it's 1.6V as opposed to the recommended 1.5V for Haswell processor.
    3. It's G-sync capable. It's mainly the monitor that needs to have the G-sync module in order to work.
    5. Price range?
    General all around performing is the U2414H.
    Should always be noted.
    Thank you!
    As for a price range on a monitor the U2414H is well within a reasonable rage. I wonder is there something in the 27" that would be as good that could be suggested? I have had this new 27" monitor for a week now and going back down may be a bit sad but if not I'm sure I will manage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally recommended for 1920x1080 monitors to be 23-24" due to the pixel density. Higher pixel density is generally better and so higher screen size means lower pixel density. Granted if it's too high (like a 3200x1800 on a 15" laptop) without proper scaling, stuff gets tiny.

UPDATE

I went ahead and upgraded my old system, that my wife will be playing on with:

CPU: i5 4690K
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 Pro4
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

I have been in debate for a week now on what case to go with.. The room I have to work with limits my options. I have a space that is no bigger then 18.5" (470mm) to place the case. I currently have a Antec 900 there and the website says its 19.4" (493mm)... the website is not correct! I have considered putting the case on the side of the desk, however, would rather not. So, working with the space I have 18.5" (470mm) I would like some suggestions. I'm looking to spend <$250 (wiling to spend more if the case is overwhelming).
    Cases that I have found that will possibly fit are the following:

Thermaltake level 10 GTS
    Coolmaster Elite 431 Plus
    Coolmaster Centurion 6
    Rosewill Armor Evo
    Rosewill Blackhawk
    Fractal Design R4 (Fractal website says it will fit but amazon says different as well)

I'm going to put the following components in the case:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5: 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I'm still open to suggestions on replacing these parts as well. I have read that the firmware for the SSD went out on Oct 15th.

On a side not... If anyone knows of a site that sells gaming computer desks that too would be amazing, thus eliminating the case constraints.
    (I don't really have any space constraints in my computer room for a desk)
    Thank you all for the help!

Deleted
    At this moment i am transplanting my rig from the DS case to a Fractal Design Mini R2. Damn thing looks awesome, since you are on a micro board i reckon go for it. Its a micro case but its rather big, think of it like a little smaller midi case. If you don't like the Aesthetics the Corsair 350D is similar. Both those are around 90-100bucks/euros.

Dang it... Sorry! I'm wasn't planning on a micro build. That was the board I first linked then had it pointed out. Due to not being able to cut an past links I typed out the wrong board.
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Is the board that was suggested and I was going to go with.
    Again, sorry about the confusion!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Corsair 350D
    Don't let the mATX marketing fool you that case could fit a full size atx board if it has the mounts. Its massive for a mATX case. I was looking for something to replace an Antec 300 (mid tower) to give the gf more leg room under her tiny desk. Really shocked me something marketed as an mATX case was almost the same size as the Antec 300.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    I just switched to the mini R2 yesterday,which is similar to 350d. No, there is no room for atx. They got additional room on the top or front for watercooling, ie you can fit a h100i and the radiator sits above the mobo, than fans obviously below. Thats the only headroom. Below psu is like a cm lower than micro board edge.

edit: On mini R2 at least there isn't standoffs for atx. Impressive case with loads of watercooling potential, would reckon anyday
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-10-22 at 10:57 AM.

.......... can't quote due to MMO-Champ new member parameters still.....

Thank you for the list of cases, however, none of them meet my space available that I listed. The case has to be physically under18.5" 470mm and be able to house the components that I want. If this is not possible then I will have to just go back to the drawing board.

Deleted
    is it that you desk has that depth? Or you looking to get it inside a self? If thats the case you need to be sure its get enough breathing room or you will have heat problems. Also if you are space limited go with a micro build then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    is it that you desk has that depth? Or you looking to get it inside a self? If thats the case you need to be sure its get enough breathing room or you will have heat problems. Also if you are space limited go with a micro build then.
    It's a height thing, due to the current computer desk I'm using.

I'm about at my wits end trying to find reviews that are accurate on the dimensions of cases. I want the case to fit in a space in my desk that is completely open besides the glass bottom and glass top that measures ~18.5" (470mm). The front and back of this desk are completely open and I have been running my current system in the Antec 900 for ~5-6 years. The simple answer seems to be just buy another antec 900 w/ the upgraded usb3 ports, however, I am being stubborn and want something new...

So, at this point I'm willing to go with a smaller (micro/mini) build but I want the following components to be used:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5: 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I decided to upgrade the CPU from my previous build.
    Do I need a aftermarket CPU cooler?
    I changed the PSU after reading many reviews I tried to choose one w/ gold cert, seasonic, and it appears to be a great deal atm w/ Newegg. ($65)
    Will the GPU fit into a smaller build?

Please toss me some options as I really want to get this stuff ordered ASAP. Also include a couple case options so I can see what's compatible.

Thanks so much!

Deleted
    ok i didn't know you where talking about height. How about a Corsair 540 air then? It can be seated in two ways, flat down or sideways. So if later on you want it on a desk or something you can change it. Supports up to 170mm tall cpu coolers and 320mm long gpus. Comes in 2-3 colors too.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 could also be an option, although the coolers would probably be a limitation as it's the size of an mITX build but can also support microATX. Supports 290mm GPUs and 120mm CPU coolers. 240mm max PSU length as well. Dimensions are 397mm x 260mm x 320mm.

I'd personally recommend the Air 540 for the space and open options on GPU and CPU cooler sizes, but if it's still too big the 240 is definitely an option. Fits most high end GPUs (minus something like the new Gigabyte cards), but I'm pretty sure you'd need a low profile CPU cooler. The H100i DOES fit inside the case though.

Comes in white and black.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-10-23 at 12:43 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |