Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    As many others have already pointed out, World of Warcraft is more often "bottle necked" by the CPU rather than the GPU. Based on your Unigine Valley benchmark screenshot, I'd say that is the case here as well. Your CPU is not overclocked and without a decent overclock, you shouldn't expect consistent 30+ FPS in 25M raids with everything on Ultra because it's simply not possible. Simply put, your GPU is fine, your FPS is normal, and you should overclock your CPU if you want to see higher FPS in 25M raids with everything on Ultra.
    You're saying 4Ghz isn't enough for WoW? :|

15+ Year Old Account
    It is but not enough for high FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by flichenstein View Post
    You're saying 4Ghz isn't enough for WoW? :|
    Enough for World of Warcraft? Yes. Enough for 30+ FPS in 25M raids with everything, including Shadows, set to Ultra? Unfortunately, not yet.

World of Warcraft is horribly optimized and Blizzard knows it, and have even admitted it. When the engine used by World of Warcraft was originally created, quad core processors weren't even a thing yet and dual core processors were just starting to make their debut and gain popularity. As a result, World of Warcraft's engine, the foundation of the entire game as we now know it, was designed with only single core processors in mind. This causes it to be "bottle necked" by the CPU, which is also why you'll see i3's performing almost as well as i5's when it comes to World of Warcraft. It looks like they're trying to change some of this and shift some of the load from the CPU to the GPU in WOD but for the time being, it's a horribly optimized game.
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2014-10-13 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added clarification

With this GPU you should see a nice performance boost once 6.0.2 hits .... in 1-2 days depending on your location. They have been moving slowly in the direction to increase GPU usage and reduce the CPU needs of the game and you should notice it soon .... Let me know if i was wrong

Some people speak loud about the WoW engine but i have done enough researches to know that it might be slow but the game engine is evolving every next expansion.

It used to work with 1 core only then it started working with 2 and you were able to make it work with 3 and 4 and 8 even. Now it works with all cores and it does indeed work with all 8 cores.
    The main problem is how the entire game works. This is why you get high FPS outside of raid but bad inside a 25 set to high.

You don't only see what your screen shows and your spells you see 24 more ppl's characters, their spells, their movement and then on top of it an entire boss fight with it's mechanics.

In Wod you will be able to set an outside of raid profile and inside of raid profile and set the inside to a lower demand. You don't need max shadows or glow effects. Extra liquid details etc.
    They also change the way the game reacts to all our activities and the way things aracalculated. Not to mention they are changing the rendering engine ... you can read mot about the new one in here http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/...-gamedev-12342

Some might argue that the change wasn't needed. But Blizzard wouldn't go into the heavy workload to change from one rendering to another if there was no benefit from it and the benefit is the thing you are most worried. Some load of the CPU will be redirected to the GPU and those of you with a 980 will see a nice performance boost. :P
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2014-10-13 at 04:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    With this GPU you should see a nice performance boost once 6.0.2 hits .... in 1-2 days depending on your location. They have been moving slowly in the direction to increase GPU usage and reduce the CPU needs of the game and you should notice it soon .... Let me know if i was wrong
    That would be awesome tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my firestrike score:

WoW is a very CPU dependent game. A GTX 980 is kinda overkill for the game unless you play on 3 screens or at 4k. You would see a performance gain if you OC your CPU. But do make sure your cooling is sufficient and you do read up on the topic if you aren't not experienced.

6.0.2 brings changes to the game that should improve performance in 25 man raids or any other situation with lots of things going on on the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop the shadows down a couple notches from ultra. It should help in those intense situations.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

7+ Year Old Account
    As other people said, getting 60fps in 25-man raids is NOT POSSIBLE with current hardware. It can't be done, no matter what you have or how much you spend.

That said, 6.0.2 should improve things.

btw my new comp just arrived, slightly worse than yours cause of the GTX 970 and not 980... but i have i7 clocked at 4.8gh ... 90fps in 25man raids.

so i guess it makes a huge difference? got it on ultra btw and everything

Dosent matter if you have fifty 980gtx's in SLI with a 1 trillion core processor from the year 2100 running at 100thz
    Still probaly wont get 60+fps in all situations on WoW.
    It's WoW's Fault, not your hardware.

And yeah MMO's are CPU Intencive.
    But at the same time, any performance issues on WoW with high end hardware, such as "Not getting 60fps!", is VERY likely WoW's fault.
    I drop to ~38fps in Shrine with a i5 3570k @ 4ghz and a 770gtx 4gb edition @ 1267mhz.
    And i get over 300fps in 10m Garrosh's room generally.

And yeah 6.0.2's changes should reduce WoW's bottleneck, how much is yet to be seen.
    Last edited by Daethz; 2014-10-14 at 12:01 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueMegaManiac View Post
    When it comes to raids in WoW, big ones anyway, the CPU just doesn't cut it when it comes to kicking out frames. Whether you are using a potato jammed in your PCIE 3 slot or have 4 overclocked 980s for graphics, your CPU will bottleneck your performance because WoW is notorious for bad performance in raids even on high end professional mixed with gaming capable rigs.
    In 6.0.2 you will be able to have seprate graphics settings for raids and battlegrounds, so kiss ultra shadows goodbye in those environments because functional FPS>graphics any day.
    If you stick a potato in your PCIe slot does it look like this?

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    btw my new comp just arrived, slightly worse than yours cause of the GTX 970 and not 980... but i have i7 clocked at 4.8gh ... 90fps in 25man raids.

Is that a solid 90fps you're claiming?

I wait with vehement anticipation for a vid proving your claims. But my guess is you'll just be yet another claiming over 60 fps and you won't provide proof and then you'll disappear. Just like everyone else that has made this claim.

OT: I still see drops into the 30's so you can stop worrying about you're graphics card being an issue. Usually I sit around 60 in an encounter at 1440p with shadows on high and particle density on high. That eliminates a lot of fps spikes.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2014-10-14 at 01:36 AM.

I can believe 45fps 25 man on boss with everything but shadow on highest setting, ultra shadow is seriously broken. But 90FPS under any boss cirumstances is bullshit.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Is that a solid 90fps you're claiming?

I wait with vehement anticipation for a vid proving your claims. But my guess is you'll just be yet another claiming over 60 fps and you won't provide proof and then you'll disappear. Just like everyone else that has made this claim.

OT: I still see drops into the 30's so you can stop worrying about you're graphics card being an issue. Usually I sit around 60 in an encounter at 1440p with shadows on high and particle density on high. That eliminates a lot of fps spikes.
    That's how legends are born!
    I wonder if OP uses shitton of addons like i did back in days i played wow. They killed a lot of FPS for me

There was time when i had 480GTX and i could go above ultra settings (console commands that pushed settings even further than max) it was on my Acer 19" 1280x1024, then came Dell 30" with 2560x1600 and i had to do some serious detail lowering, wow ultra was too much so i had to go lower than that, first thing i cut loose is shadow quality, they aren't that good anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e8fd9f1; 2014-10-14 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post

Is that LFR or Flex? Or a real 25-man raid where more than half the people are actually doing stuff? :P I've never heard of someone running 60 fps on full ultra in 25-man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wish people with 0 technical knowledge were banned from buying high end components. If you still don't know that WoW, in it's current form, is CPU dependent then you should probably stop upgrading your puter.
    This....Buying a Gtx 980 for wow is nonsense.

Deleted
    I wish people with 0 technical knowledge were banned from buying high end components. If you still don't know that WoW, in it's current form, is CPU dependent then you should probably stop upgrading your puter.
    remember the patch lands tomorrow, all those fancy graphics cards should now get to stretch their legs when playing WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    remember the patch lands tomorrow, all those fancy graphics cards should now get to stretch their legs when playing WoW
    Yea especially with the new CMAA and FXAA settings ........Oh wait nevermind.

Deleted
    I sense bullshit. You should be well over 60fps with that cpu and gpu combo.

Unless the gpu is faulty or you have some other hardware failures inc.

Yes, or perhaps he was really buying it for something else. You know people play more than just WoW, right?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.