Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    UP.

I've always wondered why it seems everything in space, be it real life or in movies/shows/games, everything seems to exist and move on one flat plane. Asteroid belt in the way? Fuck, no way through it! Um, go up or down and around it? Derp? I mean, I know that isn't technically a thing. But they REALLY make it look like it.

I just want to go in a different direction. Why go out THROUGH the solar system, when I can just go straight UP from it?
    Everything is in planes because over time up and down in equal amounts have cancelled each other out so acretion spheres become acretion discs and so on.

EDIT: And the amount of energy to go up from the solar system would be impossibly phenomenal. Consider that anything we launch into space is already orbiting around the sun on our plane at an incredible speed. None of our technology could produce enough energy to shift that orbit to be vertical AND be portable.

"Let's say you can travel max speed of 850,000 km/h"

i might be visiting some of jupiters moons and mars for fun. but i dont think i could be arsed going further with such low speeds. whould die from old age be4 i got to our nearest star.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    By this I mean, if you could literally start flying tomorrow with your own arms and you had to go to space, where would you head first? Somewhere in our galaxy, distant other galaxies, specific planets? Anything you guys can think of. (Yes, you can go on any planet, even if it's gas)

Let's say you can travel max speed of 850,000 km/h. You also cannot die of hunger, thirst, lack of sleep anything, you just keep on going and going.

I think I'd first go check out Pluto, just cause, then make my way from there.

So ya, very first place you'd go to.

Edited the speed, a lot faster than before, make it slightly more interesting. Would still take quite a while to get some places, but it's a big step up from 10,000 km/h.
    Even at 850,000km/h you're looking at a year of travel time to pluto. Even with a ton of stuff to do on whatever ship i'm in, i'd be hard pressed to find enough things to keep me busy. And that's to something just within our solar system.

Hell, even light speed is slow compared to universal distances. speeds of 20-30c then it'd be something pretty awesome

OT though, I'd go to the edge of the observable universe and see what's really beyond what we can currently see

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    OT though, I'd go to the edge of the observable universe and see what's really beyond what we can currently see
    Interesting fact: Unless you can travel faster than the speed of light, this is impossible. The reason the "edge of the observable universe" can be called that is because light from beyond that point can never reach us. Space (across that distance) expands more rapidly than light travels.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Interesting fact: Unless you can travel faster than the speed of light, this is impossible. The reason the "edge of the observable universe" can be called that is because light from beyond that point can never reach us. Space (across that distance) expands more rapidly than light travels.
    Stuff like this hurts my head.

The edge of the universe? The fuck happens then, do we just hit an invisible wall?

Does it ever end? If not so, how can something conceivably not have an end?

No wonder a few scientists look like they lost a few screws, trying to merely think it hurts my head but trying to solve it - well, that's insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Stuff like this hurts my head.

The edge of the universe? The fuck happens then, do we just hit an invisible wall?

Does it ever end? If not so, how can something conceivably not have an end?

No wonder a few scientists look like they lost a few screws, trying to merely think it hurts my head but trying to solve it - well, that's insanity.
    We don't really know if there is an edge to the Universe. We only know there's an edge to the observable Universe. That is the part of the Universe we can see. And again, the only reason we can't see beyond that is because light from sources beyond that will never reach us. It's entirely possible that beyond that point, the Universe continues on infinitely with galaxies, stars and planets. Alternatively, it's possible the Universe does have an "end" but it's one that's impossible to ever reach. One thing I believe is that there is no "beyond that", even if there is an end to the Universe. Space only exists inside the Universe. It's not even accurate to say "inside" the Universe because there is no inside vs outside.

I'll use the Big Bang as an example of why thinking that there's an "outside" of the Universe is misleading.

We like to imagine the Big Bang from the outside (like we're observing some point in space that suddenly explodes and expands). But there was no space before the Big Bang. We imagine it incorrectly. Instead, what we should imagine is that we're inside that single point (assuming it actually was a single point). We're inside an extremely claustrophobic, infinitely small space. We need to imagine ourselves being infinitely small as well. That "space" we're in is the entirety of all the space that exists. There's nothing outside of it. Suddenly, rather than everything being confined to one point, all the energy that we were confined with converges into matter and it's all taking up separate points, and each of those points are rapidly moving away from each other. As it expands, we can observe everything around us getting really hot and moving really fast in all directions. That's the Big Bang. It's better described as The Everywhere Stretch Theory rather than a "Bang".

The point of that explanation is to indicate that there is nothing outside of the Universe. The Universe is not expanding into something, or even into emptiness. Rather than thinking of the Universe expanding into something (like a balloon expanding into open space), think of it as everything just getting more and more spread out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, in a speck on one in a blink. That's us, lost in space.

I'd still just fly around, stay lost and always wonder why. Even if i could travel anywhere in space i would still never understand it.
    That's the beautiful par of life, i will never try to understand it but i could never stop question myself. Why.

I think i'd just fly away long enough to turn back and look down on evertyhing that ever lived on our planet.
    Last edited by Batar; 2014-10-16 at 03:45 AM.

Where would I go? I'd legit explore everything even if it took the entirety of this universe and the next to do it
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I don't even think i could find my way back to earth after leaving. But lets say I could, I'd pick a random direction and keep on going hoping to find some form of life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be my ultimate fantasy.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

A quasar.

Yes. A quasar.

I would do this only if I could go a thousand times the speed of light.

Deleted
    I guess I'd be boring, I'd just start off with the Moon. It's really close and I'd like to get a good look at the Earth from there.