Page 1 of 58
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Fix-My-DPS thread (Warlords Edition) [READ FIRST POST]

Everyone needs help sometime or another, here's where you ask for it.

WHAT THIS IS NOT:

-Fix my spec plx???
    -What is my next upgrade???
    -What rotation should I use???
    -HALP!

WHAT THIS IS:

-You have no clue why your (or someone elses) dps is so low
    -You want to improve in general
    -You are not satisfied with "Do X, Y, Z in that order" answers
    -You want an answer better suited to your playstyle

WHAT WE NEED:

We can't help you if you don't help us. "I do 14000 dps in MsV10 HALP!" only shows us that you can't read this post. There are several tools out there that will help us analyze your output and thus be able to say exactly what the problem is. This is what you need to provide in your post.

Recommended: Combat Log Parse

The best way to review your output is to get a combat log parse so that we can see the complete picture. This will show not only what you did, when you did it, and how well you did it, but also what the entire raid did. Maybe the problem was that the Elemental Shaman and Ret Paladin always die really early, and therefore you were missing their combined buffs. A combat log parse will show this.

I recommend http://www.warcraftlogs.com/ because of how easy their site is to navigate and how easy it is to run. It's very user friendly and has a lot of options and features. Once you have registered here and installed their client, make a combat log and post the link here.

Option Two: Damage Meter Screenshot with Details

This won't show us all the details, but is better for anonymity of your guild mates. This is a bit simpler than the above because you should already know how to use a Damage Meter. Good Damage Meters include Recount and Skada.

1) Kill the boss with your Damage Meter running
    2) Pick that fight from the Damage Meter window so we can filter out the rest of the crap
    3) Click your name so the details appear
    4) Hit print screen
    5) Upload that image (World of Warcraft \ Screenshots \) to imgur.com and post the LARGE THUMBNAIL link here. (You don't need a login here)

It should look like this

http://imgur.com/Q5C5NYV

Last Ditch Effort: Damage Meter or Combat Log Parse of Target Dummy

This should only be used as a last resort. Basically, follow the steps above but do so for a combat dummy.
    HOWEVER
    Make sure that the target dummy has zero debuffs on it when you start, and you cast no debuffs on it. It needs to be 100% clean. We can take the numbers you show us and increase them as if you had full raid buffs. If you attack a dummy with a buff or two on it that you don't know about, we will inadvertently factor these buffs in twice, which will make us say "You should be doing XXXXX dps" when you physically can never reach this number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old thread up to and including tier 16 of Mists of Pandaria.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ORE-POSTING%29

Old Fix My DPS thread, up to and including tier 14 of Mists of Pandaria.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ore-posting%29
    Last edited by Woz; 2016-08-13 at 03:34 PM.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...pe=damage-done OK so first night with the new demo spec. Felt ok but i think it needs a lot of work. Any advice? Mixed on gemming. some sites say go heavy haste like askmrrobot, some say go heavy mastery.

I'm Sohl on the logs.
    Last edited by xuros; 2014-10-15 at 12:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm at school right now so don't trust my armory. I will be going all Mastery gems and only going for socket bonus if the socket bonus is 9 or more INT, so I think only the robe is the only piece I will go for bonus.
    Don't forget to make the most out of Mannoroth's Fury with cleave bosses, I actually used MF for the first 5 bosses and it worked perfectly, the influx of MC procs / Gul'dan DoT was very strong. I'm still iffy on Synergy vs Supremacy. I've been using Supremacy on some AoE bosses and comparing it to Synergy, that proc is so strong though.
    Hope this helps, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...pe=damage-done OK so first night with the new demo spec. Felt ok but i think it needs a lot of work. Any advice? Mixed on gemming. some sites say go heavy haste like askmrrobot, some say go heavy mastery.

I'm Sohl on the logs.
    In my opinion with gemming go either pure mastery or go Int+mastery in red slot for socket bonuses.......Pure mastery boosts meta damage the most, Intellect+Mastery does 300 damage less in meta but does more damage in caster form.

Ok so I'm a little unsure of what to gem after the patch so I have been using simulationcraft to figure it out. However im reaching some weird haste breakpoints.
    According to patch notes it should be more fluently and it shouldn't matter so much. Additionally Immolate used to get an extra tick around 10, 30 and 50% haste, however im getting some weird results.

Test 1: 353 haste - 17,65% - 23,53% raid buffed = 18346 dps
    Test 2: 343 haste - 17,15% - 23,01% raid buffed = 18255 dps

So basically by changing 10 haste to 10 mastery I lose around 10 dps
    Additionally it seems like haste is sort of the best stat until reaching around this thredshold where mastery becomes the best again with my current stats.
    Is there anyone that can explain that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastey View Post
    Ok so I'm a little unsure of what to gem after the patch so I have been using simulationcraft to figure it out. However im reaching some weird haste breakpoints.
    According to patch notes it should be more fluently and it shouldn't matter so much. Additionally Immolate used to get an extra tick around 10, 30 and 50% haste, however im getting some weird results.

Test 1: 353 haste - 17,65% - 23,53% raid buffed = 18346 dps
    Test 2: 343 haste - 17,15% - 23,01% raid buffed = 18255 dps

So basically by changing 10 haste to 10 mastery I lose around 10 dps
    Additionally it seems like haste is sort of the best stat until reaching around this thredshold where mastery becomes the best again with my current stats.
    Is there anyone that can explain that?
    Sorry for the slow response didn't see it.

For Destruction, I would recommend using Artful Vermilion Onyx in all Reds which is 5 Int and 10 Mastery. Yellow should still be Fractured Sun Radiance (20 Mastery), and the Greens are still Sensei Wild Jade (now 10 Crit 10 Mastery). Haste as always for Destro is devalued, and devalued even further with no snapshotting high haste procs with Immolate.

Whats the best choice for a prismatic socket? (all three specs to get the question out of the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Whats the best choice for a prismatic socket? (all three specs to get the question out of the way).
    TL;DR
    Mastery

The longer version...
    Affliction is in a bad spot and far from optimal in terms of spec choice for raids. It gains the most from haste, but in wouldn't be trying to min max my gear around a spec that is suboptimal by design.

Demonology is mastery always as the returns we get from it as a stat overshadow any other stat. While it is in a bad spot currently, there is pretty high hopes amongst the lock community that the 20% nerfs we suffered in the prepatch will be reversed.

Destruction has crit as it's highest stat in patchwerky fights, with no cleave/aoe/shadowburn opportunities. As soon as those are factored in mastery becomes competitive with crit. As single target fights are near non existent in wows current iteration, you should be shooting for a balance between crit/mastery so you can generate the embers needed for mastery to actually be effective.

Hope this helps...

I have a question regarding Rain Of Fire.
    Since I am new to Destruction Warlocks, I've done a lot of reading through different topics and guides.

However I am yet unsure when to use RoF, when or why.
    I've specced into Mannoroth's Fury since most guides recommend this talent as the best 90 talent, I've even questioned Eack (a warlock from Method) about it.

Can someone help me get this problem out of the way please?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasin View Post
    I have a question regarding Rain Of Fire.
    Since I am new to Destruction Warlocks, I've done a lot of reading through different topics and guides.

However I am yet unsure when to use RoF, when or why.
    I've specced into Mannoroth's Fury since most guides recommend this talent as the best 90 talent, I've even questioned Eack (a warlock from Method) about it.

Can someone help me get this problem out of the way please?
    The nerf to Rain of Fire put in today means you'll never have to use rain of fire. Mannoroth's Fury pretty weak now too because of the changes to rain of fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelk View Post
    The nerf to Rain of Fire put in today means you'll never have to use rain of fire. Mannoroth's Fury pretty weak now too because of the changes to rain of fire.
    So basically you don't need to use Rain of Fire? Never ever? Just to be clear...(except bigger packs/4<mobs/?)
    Last edited by mmocfd288e3a94; 2014-12-01 at 02:13 PM.

Okay so I'm fairly new to WoW and to the warlock class. I've been doing the usually rotation I've seen on guides.. Dark Soul.. Congflagrate, incinerate and then chaos bolt when I have 3.5 embers. Start that all over again. So on and so forth.

[Edit] I can't post images so I'll just list it.
    • Chaos Bolt 238.8K (33.4%)
    • Incinerate 176.5K (24.7%)
    • Fellhunter: Attack 108.7K (15.2%)
    • Conflagrate 93.9K (13.1%)
    • Immolate 60.4K (8.4%)
    • Fellhunter: Shadow Bite 36.8K (5.1%)

This is during Rukhran - Skyreach Heroic. Did only 715.2K (7.6K, 15.3%) dps on that fight. If this doesn't give a clear image of what I'm doing wrong, then I'll try to remember to try logging a fight. Never done that before.

Please excuse any failing on my part. I've only been playing WoW for a couple of weeks.
    Thanks!

I don't remember the Rukhran fight, but in general:

Havoc is great - if possible use with dark soul and chaosbolts, havoc with shadowburn is even better.
    ALLWAYS kill off any adds with shadowburn to build embers
    It looks like chaosbolt beats shadowburn inless you kill the mob generating embers.

why is the other lock kicking my tail so bad on the meters. ive tried both ds aff and sb haunt. i cant seem to get the shard regen for sb haunt. heres tonights logs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HycWk2bGXQ8qKrTx

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys,

Started my raiding this week. I'd like to think I'm a decent player, with a good understanding of my class and rotation, but I felt very weak in this weeks raiding so far.

I don't have Kargath data, but I did really well, topping meters in attempts and the kill with 19-20k DPS.

But when it came to the next two bosses, my DPS dropped off.
    I waws tasked with cleave management on Butcher and Flamethrower on Brackenspore, so there was a lot of movement going on which I know will affect me.

But I'd still like to get some feedback and see where I can improve. I'd like to gain some benefit from this thread and then inturn help others when my own level increases

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...6aa1f/overview

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...4b0aa/overview

I've also posted my armoury below.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Furyio/simple

I was focusing on ilvl as sims where showing me INT was really important, but for secondary stats I'm confused as to what exaclty is optimal. My own data and simming shows Multistrike beating Mastery, where as this week I'm seeing a lot of posts indicating Crit > Mastery is the way to go....

It's frustrating as boe's and the likes arn't cheap, and with the constant change in peoples opinions on stats, I'm reluctant to really invest in anything for fear the prioirty of secondary stats will swop again.

Any help or advice would be greatly welcome and appreciated

Deleted
    If your raid leader tells a warlock to do stuff like that you better /gquit already

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha. It wasn't my normal guild. It was a guild we have a close relationahip with and I guess the raid lewder just sees me as reliable

Hi guys,

My guild ran through Highmaul on Tuesday and Thursday. Unfortunately I do not have the logs for Thursday since I was dealing with some personal stuff and was late to the raid. But I do have Tuesday's logs but unfortunately it won't let me post a link yet since I just signed up for MMO-Champion.

The only difference since then is I got an upgraded heroics version of my ilvl 615 ring and put a breath of critical strike enchant on it. My concern is I feel there is more down time since the nerf to RoF. I find myself casting incinerate without backdraft more and more than I used to. I am also breaking myself of the nasty habit of reapplying Immolate with more than 5 seconds remaining on the mob. Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Deleted
    I know that a lot of people have been saying different stuff with what secondary stats to go with, but did you try to put on different gear setups and test it yourself?
    I've tried nearly all the combos of secondary stats, but find that crit>multi> is a bit above the other combos.
    This I've tried with 5m target dummy slamming.

From your ilvl I guess that 19-20k is just fine!

http://worldoflogs.com/guild/us/korgath/ice

These are all my personal logs, my Warlock is named Zvvl. My DPS seems pretty okay but I feel like it could be higher. I see some locks pushing 20k+ on the same fights I am doing 17-19k on. Not sure if it is a gear issue or I am just hitting rotations wrong. Would love to see if anyone can spot issues. Thanks.