Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Nonsense. You're a projection of my dream designed to serve as an aid to trigger my self-realization. In fact, prior to making that post, you didn't even exist; all of your memories of events prior to this are false memories, designed to give the context necessary to participate in a discussion so that I may reach true enlightenment.
    You talk to yourself too much.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    You are part of your own Truman show, is everyone else in on it, or some of them?

Are your family and your friends who they say they are?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    You are part of your own Truman show, is everyone else in on it, or some of them?

Are your family and your friends who they say they are?
    This whole forum, even World of Warcraft was made just to fuck with the op.

Fuck I let out the secret.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I think everyone interprets colors a little differently.

I remember playing I-Spy with my cousin once when I was younger and being completely stumped when he was trying to get me to guess what was blue. Turns out he was talking about the basketball which I thought of as purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    If, hypothetically, you were looking at a composite color that is blue blue-green, and you were unable to see the blue wavelength or the green wavelength very clearly, you might see a yellowish color (likely a very murky yellow, with a purplish hue) but you would almost certainly not mistake that for a saturated yellow. In this case, we're not talking about mistaking one color for another: we're talking about being able to interpret the wavelengths you can see and masking or diluting the ones you can't.
    Have you ever taken LSD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercigentorix View Post
    Imagine having Synesthesia and trying to describe to someone a touch, taste,shape, color, smell etc. Maybe they have it correct, and we perceive things incorrectly. Kaboom, that's your mind being blown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
    I like to think of the universe as a unity and our senses break it up into individual pieces. But, if you really want your mind blown you can experience synesthesia with psychedelics.

How do you know what you see is real? You could be in a simulation like Neo in the Matrix. Everything you've done, everything you touched saw or smelled could be all a lie.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    You can disect eyeballs, and turns out humans all have pretty much the same stuff in their eyeballs, so you can safely say that all humans at the very least see more or less the same wavelength of light when looking at something that is blue.

This does not however mean that everybodies brain interprets the same thing as blue. However because on average people think the same colors go well together and because thinks like various forms of color blindness exist, i think it's a reasonable assumption to say that my blue isn't your red, or other drastic differences like that. Culture has a big effect on what you think goes well together aswel ofcourse, so you probably cant be 100% sure.

I wonder if you can see if people see the same colors with a MRI scan though.

On top of that, since we all agree on what objects are blue, regardless of what color you actually see it as, it doesn't really effect day to day life.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2014-10-15 at 10:58 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Javox View Post
    I think everyone interprets colors a little differently.

I remember playing I-Spy with my cousin once when I was younger and being completely stumped when he was trying to get me to guess what was blue. Turns out he was talking about the basketball which I thought of as purple.
    There are slight degrees of color blindness. Esp. when it comes to blues and greens. My wife and I will disagree over blues and greens at times. But over all, the majority of people see the same colors.

But seeing things a little different in terms of colors has no bearing on what we see in general. In other words, one person seeing a bear charging them, another will too. :P Or if the moon is raising on the horizon, everyone near you will see it unless they are blind.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot of weird theories out there, but you physically walking the earth but imagining everyone else just.. isn't very well thought out <.<

As for title/beginning of OP until you went off on a completely different train of thought, if the color other people call blue appears different to them than it does to you, that doesn't mean it's not real. Both are real wavelengths of light, just interpreted differently.

Everyone's ego center is different for the most part. I like to think what you see, touch, and hear is real. We just experience it a certain way, but if you see how many different manifestations exist on the planet. You'd have to see that there's a vast amount of different way to experience this reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well... there are some mutations that cause alterations in color perception. Color blindness being the most evident (though not applicable to this), but there are other, rarer forms that essentially have to do with oddities in perception of colors.

We also know that other animals, like the mantis shrimp, can see "more" colors than we can.... and other animals, like dogs, see less.
    There's also Synesthesia, where you see letters and numbers and such as different colors.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

By asking them questions and judging based off that. It's amazing what talking can do for finding a common ground.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There's also Synesthesia, where you see letters and numbers and such as different colors.
    Yup, mentioned it in the previous post because it's much along the same lines in terms of rewiring very fascinating area of neurology

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by legdIm View Post
    When I look at my car it is blue. But just because other people say it is blue as well how do we know that they are seeing it the same way?
    I have the same thoughts often but have learnt to keep them to myself. I get funny looks from people otherwise.

But I'm right there with you, dressed in blue. My blue, not yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Givemount View Post
    That's enough weed for you today.

Fun fact though, my blue is probably not the same as your blue.

Your blue might be my green, yellow or red.
    No, not really....
    You might confuse color blindness with scientific fact.
    Scientific fact is, that every bit of a color shade is the exact same color for everyone, since what we see is just frequencies.
    Every color tone has a certain frequency and that is fixed. You might see it slightly different, if you have a condition like color blindness.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by legdIm View Post
    What if they aren't even real at all and we're just lead to believe that they exist due to our senses fooling us?
    We don't and can't know for certain if the world is "real". It is a central philosophical problem history has been dealing before Plato even!

Here is the thing, we can agree upon things that are "very likely" or at the worst, "probably likely". That is to say twofold; if what you see as blue is in actuality green, yet I perceive the same object as blue- we both are no worse for wear. The object is for practical and communicative purposes, blue. The reality of the object being green is neither here nor there should we both agree upon the object being blue to our senses and understanding.

This agreement becomes compounded the more of us (people) agree on an object being blue.

There is the possibility we, or you rather, are in a reality divorced from that which is a "true" reality. Let us say that this reality, the one we are living in now and posting on the MMO-C message board is called "The Jar". Like the bottle city of Kandor.

This is "our" reality- the moon, stars, sun, earth, physics, thermodynamics, color, sensation, thought and emotion... the entire universe as commonly thought of is within this jar. We are right now within this jar.

But let us also suppose a truer, authentic reality is outside of this jar. This true reality is separated from those within the jar by a membrane that is utterly impenetrable by means of physicality. Whomever, or whatever is on the other side of this membrane is unknowable to us in an direct sense. Yet we can deduce that the jar in which we are living in is contained within a reality apart from that which we experience.

Within the the jar, it can be observed that one's own senses and perception of the jar's reality are faulty. The organs and methods in which one experiences the jar world are both limited and easily deceived as a matter of mundanity. If you place a stick in the water does it bend in reality or is the nature of jar world's physicality such that we perceive the stick to bend?

Can not one's eyes be fooled by optical illusion? If you turn your tongue upside, are not the organs by which you calculate sensation easily fooled from the logical reality you interpret when running your finger along the edge of your tongue? Et certera.

So we reasonably know that the methods by which we are limited to experiencing the jar world are at best distrustful and inaccurate. Even one's senses were accurate, how would one be able to deduce these sensations are not placed or manipulated by an external force to the jar world?

The membrane of separation between our jar world is impenetrable because we have no sense or experience outside of the jar world's reality.

We can not be certain that the jar world is the only true reality. Nor can we deduce another reality by sense or rationality outside or beyond the membrane that contains the world as we experience it; the jar.

But what if the jar world is you.

What if the reality you are experiencing is internal. What if your mind is the cause of reality- even in relation to other entities by which you are currently speaking with over a device defined and given form within the confines of your ownmost.

We can not know.

However, we can agree on a certain reality that is agreeable to our experiences. Both in the internal and external sense. Gravity is convenient within the jar world. The color blue is whether it be in a truer reality green is convenient to collective agree an object such as this is blue: object.

For even if the jar world is only a containment of a truer reality or a construct of of mind- it ultimately does not matter. For we can not know and can not experience the reality apart from that of the jar world.

Reality is for all intents and purposes known to our mind and experience, absurd.

How you own and embrace the absurdity of the jar world, or universe, is something one must come to themselves. For your internal experience and outward perception can only be known by you, your ownmost.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-10-15 at 03:41 PM.

Unless you have a condition such as color synesthesia, and even then there's agreement on the actual color, then no we all have the same perception.

We know because of science. I will provide evidence if asked, it's just cellular science of the eye and wavelengths.

Deleted
    Grass, for example, appears green because all of the colors in the visible part of the spectrum are absorbed into the leaves of the grass except green. Green is reflected, therefore grass appears green.
    More info here Impossible colors are interesting too

Now we see the wavelengths of 400-700nm only. What if eye could see wavelengths between 1nm-1cm? Snakes can sense infrared.

That would change things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Unless you have a condition such as color synesthesia, and even then there's agreement on the actual color, then no we all have the same perception.

We know because of science. I will provide evidence if asked, it's just cellular science of the eye and wavelengths.
    Surely all you can prove is that eyes all send the same signal to the brain because cellular etc etc.

Whether the brain interprets these signals in the same way as another is provable because...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.