Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    The short of it is, voter ID laws are fine when done in good faith. It's just that very few voter ID laws proposed by republicans are made in good faith, and blatant attempts to unconstitutionally block people from voting. Some are so blind to this bad faith that they refuse to acknowledge the obvious intent, while others realize the intent and are fine with attempts to unconstitutionally block left voters.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    What makes it hard to get? Enough money to give people $300 a month phones. cut their plans down and give them I.D. also.
    $300 a month phones? Are we just whipping out subscription plan costs now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    $300 a month phones? Are we just whipping out subscription plan costs now?
    Get a new phone every month!

Could you explain what he means? Either I or that post are missing context.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

I think he is trying to present the talking point of blue collar workers on smartphones. Which, isn't really a huge expense. In fact, carriers often give the hardware itself for "free" when you sign a contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I think he is trying to present the talking point of blue collar workers on smartphones. Which, isn't really a huge expense. In fact, carriers often give the hardware itself for "free" when you sign a contract.
    Hell, my current phone was $0 down, and my monthly is about $50/mo. And I could drop that by $20 more if I could get by with less minutes and data. And it's a Nexus 5, not exactly a terrible third-party phone.

And this is in Canada, which has significantly worse mobile service than the USA, by most comparisons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast124 View Post
    I'm not an expert on this topic, but from briefly browsing this thread, it seems that most people aren't against the idea of needing an id to vote, but rather that it is too difficult to get an id for some people. But if that's the case, shouldn't we be focusing on making it easier to get an id? Even if we do that, we're doing it the goal that we do want voter id as an end goal. So what are we waiting for? Ease of getting an id? Or just let anybody vote without identification?
    getting an ID for everyone at no cost, would cost the states 4 billion spread over, i think it was 10 years, gah why are thou falling me...(memory)
    in any case, it would cost a lot of money, be of almost no use, and also there are paranoid delusions amongst the US populace about a federal ID card and accompanying register, even 9/11 couldn't pull it through congress.

Also if memory serves me, Republicans canned (they had a majority at the time at least) the federal ID which would invariably have worked wonders for the rampant voter fraud problem.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2014-10-20 at 09:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Make the ID's free and easily accessible and stop rolling back early voting, polling places, and voter registration. But that assumes good faith

The problem is there isn't room for a compromise when one group wants to stop people from voting. You don't compromise on restricting rights for political gain.
    Early voting should be outlawed anyway. It can influence elections by allowing it. People see who is starting to get the most votes, which can cause people to not vote because they dont think their guy/lady can win since early voting shows them losing. It isnt a fair process. all elections should be the same day nationwide. The same with primaries. Every state should be required to have them on the same day so people dont drop out after they lose the first 3 primaries even though if they stayed they could win enough later ones. Plus it drags out the process of getting nominees

- - - Updated - - -

Also the paperwork required to get it. Losing things like your birth certificate is pretty easy if you're in a low economic bracket.
    How does being poor, lead to you likely losing your birth certificate?. The only thing that causes that is irresponsibility, and irresponsible people shouldnt be voting anyway since they likely just look at names and see if there is a D or R in front of their name instead of researching the candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

An article that i read a while back stated that the government spent $300 a person per month for the Obama phones that had farily generous plans tacked onto them. So if folks need I.D. and cant pay for them cut their plans down to a bare bones plan and give them a free I.D. Only give 60 minutes a month or so on the plans with no extras or data plans.

Early voting should be outlawed anyway. It can influence elections by allowing it. People see who is starting to get the most votes, which can cause people to not vote because they dont think their guy/lady can win since early voting shows them losing. It isnt a fair process. all elections should be the same day nationwide. The same with primaries. Every state should be required to have them on the same day so people dont drop out after they lose the first 3 primaries even though if they stayed they could win enough later ones. Plus it drags out the process of getting nominees
    Sorry, I didn't know early voting meant your vote didn't get counted. Stop whining

How does being poor, lead to you likely losing your birth certificate?.
    The poor more often live lifestyles that make keeping long term paperwork in tact difficult due to the realities of their economic status.

The only thing that causes that is irresponsibility, and irresponsible people shouldnt be voting anyway
    Fuck. Off. With. This.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean seriously. No one ever talks about how irresponsible Wall Street bankers are and how they need to lose their voting rights. Trump goes bankrupt seemingly with the frequency of a menstrual cycle but nope, no one talks about not getting to vote. You spout objectively stupid things on a pretty regular basis. Haven't seen anyone say you shouldn't be allowed to vote. But oh man poor people move around a lot, sometimes on short notice. Sometimes they lose old paperwork. Better take away their rights anyway.

Fuck offffff

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I didn't know early voting meant your vote didn't get counted. Stop whining

The poor more often live lifestyles that make keeping long term paperwork in tact difficult due to the realities of their economic status.

Fuck. Off. With. This.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean seriously. No one ever talks about how irresponsible Wall Street bankers are and how they need to lose their voting rights. Trump goes bankrupt seemingly with the frequency of a menstrual cycle but nope, no one talks about not getting to vote. You spout objectively stupid things on a pretty regular basis. Haven't seen anyone say you shouldn't be allowed to vote. But oh man poor people move around a lot, sometimes on short notice. Sometimes they lose old paperwork. Better take away their rights anyway.

Fuck offffff
    I move frequently too, but I have all my important document in a fireproof safe (cost about $35 at Amazon) and take it every time I move. It isnt hard to not lose shit. You dont put birth certificates, SS cards, and other important things in a drawer with your tools or something

I classify myself as a Conservative Libertarian.
    I think laws that protect the validity of votes are needed.
    However Springing it on the nation with little or no warning is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    And ID's should be easier to get.
    In fact you should be given a ID at birth and should be able to buy a new one at any time for a small fee.(Enough to cover the ink, plastic and workers time), in other words, under 20 bucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, everyone always misses the biggest problem with our government.

Voter ID - Not a Pressing or Dire Problem.

Money In Politics - Destroying America and everything she stands for, its time to make all elections publicly funded via tax dollars and making any donation, direct or indirect, of any kind, even a pillow to your favorite candidate to sleep on, highly illegal and should immediately remove them from the race if taken. And potentially ban them from public service for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post

- - - Updated - - -

How does being poor, lead to you likely losing your birth certificate?. The only thing that causes that is irresponsibility, and irresponsible people shouldnt be voting anyway since they likely just look at names and see if there is a D or R in front of their name instead of researching the candidates
    So wait, you think that the average election day should have all what? 120 million votes cast in 1 day? EVERY state would look like Florida during 2012 then. Where people stood in lines for 8 hours to vote.

And also poor people do tend to lose important things when they have to move around because they lose their apartment or house because they can't make rent or mortgage payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    So wait, you think that the average election day should have all what? 120 million votes cast in 1 day? EVERY state would look like Florida during 2012 then. Where people stood in lines for 8 hours to vote.

And also poor people do tend to lose important things when they have to move around because they lose their apartment or house because they can't make rent or mortgage payments.
    IDK, his argument is pretty solid.

Because he's never lost a specific document clearly no one could without being a piece of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

You know Orlong, if early voting unfairly sways voters then so does polling. Better ban that too.

10+ Year Old Account

Because he's never lost a specific document clearly no one could without being a piece of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

You know Orlong, if early voting unfairly sways voters then so does polling. Better ban that too.
    But how can they spend 8 hours standing in line to vote when they have to work 3 full time jobs so they don't get the government lobster and $300 cell phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    But how can they spend 8 hours standing in line to vote when they have to work 3 full time jobs so they don't get the government lobster and $300 cell phones?
    Yet we're still ok with him having voting rights.

- - - Updated - - -

and if you have a fire or say your parents lose it before your old enough to watch out for it yourself?

- - - Updated - - -

i might actually believe the republicans when they say its to make sure the vote is safe if they also boosted dmv hours and locations when they implemented it, but what do they do? the exact opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    and if you have a fire or say your parents lose it before your old enough to watch out for it yourself?
    They should have chosen more responsible parents. /s

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post

Most states have all votes done on one day. Very few have early voting. It works fine in states that dont have early voting. Polls open at 7AM and close at 9PM, and since there are so many of them, people can find a time to vote. Early voting sways elections because of the ongoing trend of current results. We shouldnt know any results till the polls close.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I DO think polling should be banned when its a poll based on you the pollees want to elect. Other polls are fine. Polls sway outcomes and they shouldnt be able to do that, especially when they arent all reputable like Rasmussen and people just believe what they hear

Everything sways elections. If you want to ban things for it you need to ban speech, donations, polls, public speaking, everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Most states have all votes done on one day. Very few have early voting.
    Wrong again

I don't understand when it became a bad thing to handle something BEFORE it becomes a problem. Everyone here can make all the excuses they want as to why voter identification/registration is a bad thing but it isn't. Yes it does need to be more accessible but it doesn't become more accessible by pretending there will never be an issue, it's called baby steps. The only absolute reason to outright deny moving forward with something like this is if the benefiting party is doing so or plans to at a large degree.

Only tax payers SHOULD be allowed to vote in our elections, sorry. Only citizens of this country SHOULD be allowed to vote. It isn't about racism or pinning down minorities, which I don't understand how people are getting away with not having any kind of identification of any kind. You need identification to cash your fucking check, at least you do in my state... it appears anywhere else you just need to be holding the check at the time since no one can get this mythical identification card, cuz' toooo hardz! All the reasons people aren't going to the DMV to get identification are absolutely absurd and wouldn't be accepted in any other topic, on any other subject.

What a spit in the face to not only people who went around registering to vote the correct way but the people who have earned citizenship legally.