Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Megathread] Ebola Threats

When you think about with how many people you have contact everyday and a high incubation time (up to 2 weeks), do you think we have a massive outbreak in the next couple of weeks?

Source http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...lation-n223976

15+ Year Old Account
    Dunno about massive outbreak, but this is alarming...

Also, UN has declared a warning that we have 60 days to contain the virus from spreading or the situation is out of control...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Also, UN has declared a warning that we have 60 days to contain the virus from spreading or the situation is out of control...
    Preppers of the world unite, it is your time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshrag View Post
    When you think about with how many people you have contact everyday and a high incubation time (up to 2 weeks), do you think we have a massive outbreak in the next couple of weeks?

Source http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...lation-n223976
    No, we won't have a massive outbreak (in the US) in the next couple weeks. Pretty much the only first world cases so far have been from caregivers because they have to be in close personal contact with the patients. People with Ebola aren't very contagious until they develop symptoms, and if it seems Ebola is spreading, I think most Americans are smart enough not to touch people displaying the symptoms.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    No, we won't have a massive outbreak (in the US) in the next couple weeks. Pretty much the only first world cases so far have been from caregivers because they have to be in close personal contact with the patients. People with Ebola aren't very contagious until they develop symptoms, and if it seems Ebola is spreading, I think most Americans are smart enough not to touch people displaying the symptoms.
    Ebola is spreading if more cases appear in countries where it had not existed before. #Logic

Most Americans are dumb enough to go to a hospital when they have symptoms because it resembles the common flu in the beginning stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshrag View Post
    ... do you think we have a massive outbreak in the next couple of weeks?
    Not likely, but I remain angry at the lack of travel restrictions to and from hot zones. I can't see any valid basis for continuing to issue visas to nations with hot zones.

- - - Updated - - -

People with Ebola aren't very contagious until they develop symptoms...
    We don't know this with anywhere near the certainty that public health officials are presently declaring. This is likely the case, but it remains an understudied virus that we don't have a great grasp on.

10+ Year Old Account
    how much does it have to spread before people stop sticking their heads in the sand about this?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    We don't know this with anywhere near the certainty that public health officials are presently declaring. This is likely the case, but it remains an understudied virus that we don't have a great grasp on.
    It's hilarious too, as the first outbreak was in 1976. 38 years later and still jack left to say about it. smh

The mortality rate went from 80% in 1995 to 70% now (and still rising)...10,000 infected in Africa alone. That's some dangerous shit.
    Last edited by Aeno; 2014-10-15 at 12:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    how much does it have to spread before people stop sticking their heads in the sand about this?
    Probably in 60 days when it's out of control in Africa, million or so infected.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Ebola is spreading if more cases appear in countries where it had not existed before. #Logic

Most Americans are dumb enough to go to a hospital when they have symptoms because it resembles the common flu in the beginning stages.
    Stop trying to misrepresent what I said. Ebola absolutely has spread to other countries, but it's still isolated cases, with people who had clear obvious connections to other known Ebola cases. What it hasn't done, is spread within the US beyond people who are working very closely with symptomatic Ebola victims.

Stop trying to misrepresent what I said. Ebola absolutely has spread to other countries, but it's still isolated cases, with people who had clear obvious connections to other known Ebola cases. What it hasn't done, is spread within the US beyond people who are working very closely with symptomatic Ebola victims.
    It spread, but it hasn't spread to be come rampant. That's still spreading the disease.

Ebola isn't airborne, IIRC? Unless it is, I can't see it becoming a problem in countries with decent hygiene.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Why is it sticking your head in the sand to recognize what's actually going on instead of flipping out and making dire predictions of massive outbreak?

- - - Updated - - -

It spread, but it hasn't spread to be come rampant. That's still spreading the disease.
    And my comments you responded to were "No, we won't have a massive outbreak (in the US) in the next couple weeks." I didn't claim it hadn't spread between countries. Just that it hasn't and won't become a massive outbreak.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-10-15 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Ebola isn't airborne, IIRC? Unless it is, I can't see it becoming a problem in countries with decent hygiene.
    It is not airborne according to CDC officials.

- - - Updated - - -

And my comments you responded to were "No, we won't have a massive outbreak (in the US) in the next couple weeks." I didn't claim it hadn't spread between countries. Just that it hasn't and won't become a massive outbreak.
    "and if it seems Ebola is spreading" It is spreading. There is no "seems". You are still incorrect, regardless of whatever you said before it about numbers. It is spreading.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why is it sticking your head in the sand to recognize what's actually going on instead of flipping out and making dire predictions of massive outbreak?
    Well, by the looks of it, you don't seem to give a damn if millions of Africans die to it in the coming months?

The disease spreading to Europe/USA is only a secondary problem. The primary problem is that it's soon uncontrollable in Africa.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not airborne according to CDC officials.

- - - Updated - - -

"and if it seems Ebola is spreading" It is spreading. There is no "seems". You are still incorrect, regardless of whatever you said before it about numbers. It is spreading.
    You seem to be fixated on this sentence: "and if it seems Ebola is spreading, I think most Americans are smart enough not to touch people displaying the symptoms."

Should I fix it by adding the words, "and if it seems Ebola is spreading uncontrolled within the country?" I had implied that by the rest of the content of my first post, but you seem more interested in picking nits.

Deleted
    This newspaper cartoon pretty much sums up my thoughts about this whole issue

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well, by the looks of it, you don't seem to give a damn if millions of Africans die to it in the coming months?

The disease spreading to Europe/USA is only a secondary problem. The primary problem is that it's soon uncontrollable in Africa.
    Good fucking lord, how the hell are you people reading this BS from what I've said?

The topic of the OP was an Ebola outbreak in the US. I was replying to that. Of course we should be doing everything we can to control the outbreak in Africa.

You seem to be fixated on this sentence: "and if it seems Ebola is spreading, I think most Americans are smart enough not to touch people displaying the symptoms."

Should I fix it by adding the words, "and if it seems Ebola is spreading uncontrolled within the country?" I had implied that by the rest of the content of my first post, but you seem more interested in picking nits.
    Considering it's still spreading with controls, your edit doesn't have any standing either. Officials are sucking ass at containing it in a quarantine. You can argue semantics all you want. It is still spreading uncontrollably.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    This newspaper cartoon pretty much sums up my thoughts about this whole issue
    More stereotypical nonsense. People were spouting the same garbage before the 1921 Hispanic Influenza wrecked the world population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it's still spreading with controls, your edit doesn't have any standing either. Officials are sucking ass at containing it in a quarantine. You can argue semantics all you want. It is still spreading uncontrollably.
    No it's not. It's still spreading within existing controls. We know who the infected people are, we have them in isolation. That's a controlled situation. Controlled doesn't mean that there's no risk of transmission, just that we are controlling the situation, and we are.