Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the kings and queens dined on wine, as did Jesus, it must be good for you.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

I have conducted a meta anaylsis of the post counts of people who have participated in this thread and found that all people have a post count of exactly 17,748.

Because it is of my expert scientific opinion that all of the data that suggests otherwise is flawed and therefore has been discarded from my conclusion.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Although personal experience is not the best evidence, I'd like to draw examples from my own life (I have been abstinent growing up because of personal health and religious reasons -- yes, I am a scientist who also actively practices a religion):

My maternal grandfather, Chinese, drank quite often. He was plagued with kidney and liver disease caused by drinking...also, his diet wasn't the best. Died at the age of 62.
    My paternal grandfather, Filipino-Arab, has been sober since he had his first drink in his late teens. 70-some years old now, and still kickin' (loves to ride motorocylces). Aside from high-blood pressure, his health is absolutely great.

- - - Updated - - -

That and the fact that most Russians aren't as wealthy as Americans. We also forget that the US consumes more food (and wastes more food) than most countries do.

Diet and exercise and genes plays a huge role on weight and overall health...as well as economic status and relative access to certain types of food (like how in the US there is a preponderance of processed foods, while in Asia, where I'm from (South East), most of the food we got when I lived there when I was younger was usually fresh from farmer's markets that were always open every day from sunrise to sunset)...

- - - Updated - - -

At least they cite peer-reviewed journal articles from research universities.
    My grandmother drank a glass of red wine every day and did her own shopping ( walked to town ), house cleaning until she fell and broke her hip at age 92. She died in her sleep when she was 95. She never had any heart problems and up until she died, her mind was very sharp. Once again, the key is moderation. Which several studies have shown is good for most people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Every time I hear this studies I always think how pointless they are because there measuring units are always "X drinks per day".

Who in the fuck drinks EVERYDAY?!???

If you drink everyday you've got a problem. Even if it's a single glass of wine or a bottle of beer, if its every single day then you have a problem.

What I want to know, and I think I'm right in assuming others want to know this as well, is how damaging is it to go out and get absolutely blotto/shitfaced/wasted once or twice a month and then be almost abstinent the rest of the time.

Is drinking the same volume over a longer period worse than drinking it over a shorter period?
    Is it the same?
    Is it better?
    Bullshit. Best way to answer those points highlighted. There are tons of people who have one or 2 drinks every day and have no issues. The issue is you think it is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Yes it depends on setting. But assuming we talking party party and not LAN party.

I woulnd go on the introvert extrovert tour though. Its pretty basic:

You go out sober, noticeing every anoying thing, questioning everything you do (and if you dont question shit you do when out sober your socially awkward with the `i dont care what people think of me´ attitude)
    You go out tipsy/drunk, having an excuse not to give a shit about what everyone thinks, everyone is more beautifull, everything is more enjoyable, ur more loose, etc.

The second is just more fun, period. Unless your a sado masochist.
    None of that sounds even remotely fun to me. Few things ever bored me as much as going to parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    LOL @ This....No actually the substance can harm you...In the medical field it's used to disinfect in proper educated ways. Not sitting back pounding beers like it's going to clean out your whole system. No different then say a spider venom..That can also be used in medication but i wouldn't go putting it in your blood stream. I luv people like you that make uneducated posts and are so far gone in the brain that you actually need this sort of thing explained to you. Excellent example btw with the water. High amounts of alcohol can hurt you but so can sustained use in smaller amounts.
    Aren't we glad we can discuss without the use of insults?

Let me break it down what I said....
    I asked why we use alcohol in medication, if it's that harmful.. You answered with disinfection? Not what I asked, since that isn't medication.
    Medication = medicine, over the counter and prescription drugs in liquid form, which has alcohol as the main liquid compound in it.
    Further more, I said it is not the substance that's harmful, it's the amount of it.. And I gave examples to make this obvious.
    Morphine - I thought - makes that very obvious. While the drug can be extremely harmful, it is that only when misused. Otherwise, it's a stable part of medical treatment, used quite frequently on patients.
    Water...... a blessing.... The source of all life.... And yet, if you drink too much of it at once, you die.

In my very first post I've claimed that ONE glass of red wine has health benefits.
    One glass... A wine glass has approx. 125 ml wine in it. The alcohol content in red wine ranges from 10% - 15%.
    How much of an impact that very small amount of alcohol has on a person is now also dependent on their body weight, and gender.
    The heavier a person, the lower their alcohol level, plus at equal weight alcohol level in males is lower than in females (about 20% lower).
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."