Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Dawn of a new age?

You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please god yes. Cable companies need to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Imagine if all the TV stations started streaming too. PBS streams here and I can watch it on my browser.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    It took took long enough...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Imagine if all the TV stations started streaming too. PBS streams here and I can watch it on my browser.
    A lot of tv stations actually do stream there shows. You can watch most prime time shows for free.

They might be going for those who figure its easier to pay them than bootleg shows.

Downside of paying per channel is the popular ones will have lots of paying subcribers (like sports channels) while those with a smaller audience may go under or have to charge higher rates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I don't think them dying would be good. Change their draconian ways and stop throttling shit(Internet/broadband)? Yes please.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    They might be going for those who figure its easier to pay them than bootleg shows.

Downside of paying per channel is the popular ones will have lots of paying subcribers (like sports channels) while those with a smaller audience may go under or have to charge higher rates.
    Good. It encourages cable companies to stop bundling their unsuccessful garbage channels and charging a premium. Competition is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god yes!
    Black Lives Matter

Good. It encourages cable companies to stop bundling their unsuccessful garbage channels and charging a premium. Competition is good.
    Years ago on a C-band satellite you could get channels separate, wish I had one of those old price list.

What % of people will be willing to pay for H2 or BBC America vs ESPN and will some of these channels remain viable.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post

Or they simply group together or sign on with another popular service, like Netflix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think them dying would be good. Change their draconian ways and stop throttling shit(Internet/broadband)? Yes please.
    He means TV broadcasting, bundles, commercials, etc. Not literally Cable itself, as in one of the three main providers of internet (the others being satellite and dsl).

The whole time they were bitching about GoT being the "most pirated show ever" I was wondering when they were going to get off their asses and do this.

$7.99 per set box is killing me. I welcome HBO's move and hope others follow.

Deleted
    You can guarantee no matter which way it goes it'll be a big dick for the consumer to swallow. We must like the taste because we keep swallowing. The only way to truly change the system is to stop consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Magewang View Post
    You can guarantee no matter which way it goes it'll be a big dick for the consumer to swallow. We must like the taste because we keep swallowing. The only way to truly change the system is to stop consuming.
    I watch HBO Showtime and my local news if HBO did this and others followed I could cut the cord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had HBO nordic for a while to watch HBO productions, id imagine this would work out similar but be available for Americans. I approve.

If cable companies start losing revenue from TV packages won't they just recoup their profits by charging more for internet connections?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    The whole time they were bitching about GoT being the "most pirated show ever" I was wondering when they were going to get off their asses and do this.
    It's not a matter of "getting off their asses", it's a matter of convicing the executives. HBO is owned by Time Warner. 3 guesses why they would want to maintain the status quo of "Get cable if you want HBO"?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    ^ This.

Everyone pirates HBO, and HBO doesn't blame them - because they know the reason for piracy isn't an unwillingness to pay for the product, but a lack of availability (lack of cable), and better service online (watch whenever you like).

I haven't had a cable package for over a decade now. Internet or bust. I will buy HBO GO the moment it's online.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's not a matter of "getting off their asses", it's a matter of convicing the executives. HBO is owned by Time Warner. 3 guesses why they would want to maintain the status quo of "Get cable if you want HBO"?
    It's like executives don't live in the real world. You'd think they could at least fancy a guess why they're getting pirated out of the ass.

I guess their wallets had less romance than a minister's pants and finally decided they liked money... well, more money.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-10-16 at 01:58 AM.

The mod who moved this is annoyingly particular. This is significant and will now be seen only by the 5 people on this specific forum.