Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would outdoor difficulty slider be a good idea?

Hey
    So i mean if you could set the world to easy, normal, heroic, mythic,
    So those who wanna level/quest hard and challanging could do that and those who wanna quest fast and easy could do that.
    Good or bad idea?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Another game i play dosen't have different server but rather have a mega server where you choose wich "Channel" of the server to be in

So why not make the same for WoW? Have a certain channel name for each difficulty

Would that work with my idea?
    Last edited by SkagenRora; 2014-10-22 at 11:11 PM.

Deleted
    Personally I dont like the idea, lets say your farming rep or items, doing dailies? Who would ever do those things on Mythic?

Yeah it might be fun to level up just to get an extra challenge, but after that I dont see any use for it sorry. They would have to implent better loot for those doing it on a higher difficulty and so on for it being worth the extra time.

Deleted
    How exactly would that work?
    Different phases for each difficulty?
    Affecting the strength of your character against NPC's?

Would it bring any extra rewards for higher difficulty or would it be the same? (Hint, if there's no reward almost no one is going to bother with the higher difficulties, because why would they?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    How exactly would that work?
    Different phases for each difficulty?
    Affecting the strength of your character against NPC's?

Would it bring any extra rewards for higher difficulty or would it be the same? (Hint, if there's no reward almost no one is going to bother with the higher difficulties, because why would they?)
    People say they want challanging leveling, you give them a choice just to see if they really want it or just belvie they do
    Different phases yes
    No buffs on the player ofc total dark souls mode
    No extra reward, the difficulty is the reward

15+ Year Old Account
    People say they want challanging leveling, you give them a choice just to see if they really want it or just belvie they do
    Different phases yes
    No buffs on the player ofc total dark souls mode
    No extra reward, the difficulty is the reward
    Most people would need an incentive to do something, and Blizzard have stated that they wont add features unless they can find suitable rewards for them, timewalker dungeons is a good example, it could just be something like a higher drop chance on certain items from mobs or increased leveling experience etc

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaine View Post
    Most people would need an incentive to do something, and Blizzard have stated that they wont add features unless they can find suitable rewards for them, timewalker dungeons is a good example, it could just be something like a higher drop chance on certain items from mobs or increased leveling experience etc
    So people only do /Hurrai finally hard and challanging leveling, if it's forced on everyone?

Actually sounds good
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Deleted
    So people only do /Hurrai finally hard and challanging leveling, if it's forced on everyone?
    How many people do you reckon would do Mythic raiding if it offered nothing for doing it?

15+ Year Old Account
    This would be nigh impossible to implement on a technical level, short of creating separate realms for each difficulty level (and then how would you switch between them)?

Phasing is an option, however there is also the thing that no-one is going to do it if there is no rewards, and as soon as you add rewards to incentivize it, it becomes mandatory.

I just don't see a way to set this up to be compelling for those that actually want it, while not forcing the rest of the population to try it as well.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2014-10-16 at 10:10 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Laumann View Post
    How many people do you reckon would do Mythic raiding if it offered nothing for doing it?
    Most raiders i have asked say they only care for the challange and the gear is just a mean to get further, so many people just want challange as reward?

Deleted
    Most raiders i have asked say they only care for the challange and the gear is just a mean to get further, so many people just want challange as reward?
    Talk is cheap. Take the achievements and loot from them and then see if they would stick to their guns.

15+ Year Old Account
    The prestige of having the titles/mounts/Mythic tagged gear is the reward. But by having those rewards, it automatically makes it incentivized for everyone.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    I think that "outdoor difficulty slider" shouldn't be used for actual content (so basically, the expension we are playing right now). for everywhere else it would be great

It's called "Take off some of your armour".

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I like it how it is now, i just see alot off people who want it harder and this is my suggestion so we both can have fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    As I have said earlier, if this is the case then Blizzard should not bother making heroic or mythic raid difficulties. Just put your PC desktop on a trampoline and run the normal version, or only use 1 hand. There, instantly more challenging and frees up developer time.

People won't play something if it doesn't have a reward. "Carrot on a stick" is the foundation of Themepark MMOs. How many times people did something they didn't like just because it gave them better loot in WoW? So if they somehow implement this idea, they should have better rewards for harder difficulties. Which will end up get min-maxed and we will end up having one correct difficulty setting to level and then a bunch of wrong choices.

It would be nice IF the leveling gameplay was actually balanced (which would require a lot of work every expansion as they introduce new skills and change/remove others). 1 harder difficulty would be enough, but I think it is too complex to introduce by now, it's something that must've been part of the original design of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would actually like something like the old Monster Power in D3. Basically, you can set it to something from 1-10, each would reduce the characters stats by 5% but increase rewards by 10%. So you would get more Exp and gold from quests, more gold from monsters and higher chance that monsters would drop something.

It's just a rough idea that would "only" reduce character stats, but that may actually be enough. Additionally, there could also be something implemented that characters with this "Buff" could take additional damage from certain attacks, like avoidable voidzones or cleaves.

The only real problem I could see would be PvP, especially world PvP. In BGs and Arena, the buff could simply be turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    People won't play something if it doesn't have a reward. "Carrot on a stick" is the foundation of Themepark MMOs. How many times people did something they didn't like just because it gave them better loot in WoW? So if they somehow implement this idea, they should have better rewards for harder difficulties. Which will end up get min-maxed and we will end up having one correct difficulty setting to level and then a bunch of wrong choices.
    But the people on the wow forum praise the bugged difficulty we have after patch like a gift from god, but as far as i know no new rewards came with the bugg,
    So why would they need reward if they could choose this difficulty by own choice?
    Or is it that people will always take the easier/faster way even if they don't enyoy it?