Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Lightbulb DungeonFinder with AI tanks

What about this:

You queue up for a dungeon as DPS. It's a bad day and there are barely any tanks online. You would usually have to wait for hours in the queue.

At x minutes (where x is a very LARGE number), a pop up appears: "It seems we are short on tanks! Would you like to try with an AI tank? Click yes to accept!". It is optional.

You say "yes". You and 3 others who also said "yes" get grouped up into a dungeon, where the four of you will follow a software-controlled, well geared up tank. He knows the dungeon tactics but is not invincible. You'll healer will have to keep him up, and you'll have to follow usual tactics too.

If you say "no", you retain your spot at the front of the queue until a real tank arrives.

Thoughts? Yes, I know I'm probably not the first to suggest this.
    Last edited by Howard Moon; 2014-10-16 at 03:41 PM.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    God no, please, no.

I tank because I love tanking. I like the respect I get for leading a group through an instance. Don't take it away!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    God no, please, no.

I tank because I love tanking. I like the respect I get for leading a group through an instance. Don't take it away!
    Maybe see it from the perspective of a DPSer.

What if time X is very, very long? Isn't an AI tank better than no tank?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post

At that point we might as well make it a single-player game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    At that point we might as well make it a single-player game.
    You have a point. Still, I'm just throwing this out there. We've been heading towards single-playerness for some years now, I think a system like this could very well eventually make it into the game, whether we like it or not :/

Deleted
    Maybe if DPS wouldn't act the way they do you wouldn't need AI tanks or Healers.

No, at no point do I enjoy playing with an AI tank. There are ways to bypass the long dps queue and they all involve making friends. Make a friend who is a tank. Make a friend who is a healer. There are guilds out there who are composed of casuals and the only thing you need in common is that you play at the same time of day. A little effort yields massive rewards.

Otherwise you may as well go find a single player game to play. Dungeons are designed to be a small group activity, quests are designed to be solo activity (but certainly you can do this in a group as well).

When I have a dps alone in the queue I always do things like harvest mats while I wait. That way my down time is actually uptime.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have a point. Still, I'm just throwing this out there. We've been heading towards single-playerness for some years now, I think a system like this could very well eventually make it into the game, whether we like it or not :/
    I don't really agree that we have. Leveling is the only part doing so but that is because after 5 expansions WoW is focused on the end-game. That is where everyone strives to get. But once you're there, it is all multi-player. Raiding or PvP, CM's, scenarios, dungeons, it's all multi-player and hasn't changed in 10 years except for group sizes (down from 40 to flexible 10 - 30). Add into the mix: cross-realm grouping & raiding, CRZ, cross-faction AH and bnet tags for talking to anyone and we're about as far from single-player as it is possible to get. No other MMO connects players together like WoW. None.

If you befriend a tank or healer you can have a dps with a 30 second dungeon queue. You get to ride the quick queue and they get to know that one less person in the group they are joining is a possible bad player (and bad encompases skill and/or behavior). Everyone wins.

Lucky me I have 5 tanks and 4 healers. Well just have to be patient when I want to play with my DPS.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Just no.

If we're gonna go down this route we may as well just have it so if you join LFG, after a minute it just gives you AI everything.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Reroll a tank if the wait bothers you.

I don't even like the AI of my pet. I would definitely not like to play with an AI tank.

No thanks. Do not want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay well, if the mythical AI tanks in your dungeons are as bad as the AI tanks in Proving Grounds, as a healer i would run the other way. As fast as my little resto druid legs could carry me.

You will never ever ever get an ai tank in wow for dungeons. There is no way to create a tank ai that can react to the various things that can happen in a dungeon. A warlock accidently hits demon leap and goes flying into a different group of adds, a huntard does what huntards are known to do, a mistweaver mistargets Chi wave and an add group gets pulled. There is no way an ai could be coded to react in the way that would 'cover all the bases'.

Can you have a quest where something tanks for you? Sure. An activity where an ai has to compensate for the random behaviors of 4 people, completes boss mechanics and compensates for the varied abilities of many many classes? Frost DK Deathgrips and gorefiend grasps adds? A tank that doesn't hit CC'd mobs? Never going to happen in the entirety of wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Tanking is a thankless, difficult (people-wise, not mechanically), and mind-croggling experience outside of running with guildmates and friends. I can understand why few people want to take up the mantle for tanking for a bunch of anonymous people who are keen to blame the tank for everything because they're the "leader." Any AI component taking the place of a willing player is a bad move in my estimation - much better to give existing and future tanks more incentive to queue as a Tank instead. What forms that incentive should take is really the essence of the discussion in my opinion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Any AI component taking the place of a willing player is a bad move in my estimation - much better to give existing and future tanks more incentive to queue as a Tank instead.
    Yes indeed. It would be great to find an incentive like that. But what if they can't?

10+ Year Old Account
    As a tank, this is probably the most offensive thing anyone has ever suggested in regards to tanks. I dont mind the abuse from whiny 12 year olds, but this is just downright disrespectful.

We all play the game and we choose the roles we want to play and enjoy playing. How would you feel if I had the option of replacing a DPS in my group with an AI dps because the afore mentioned was being a douche and I just want to finish. How would you feel about being made obsolete? Or what if they made instances flex like in Rift, where a tank and a healer could just two man it? Why bring DPS to have it stand in fire and lol wtf pew pew stressing out the heals and tank, when you can just two man it?

If you want AI tanks? then make it AI everything and give us flex dungoens.. then we will see how great your queues are and how many real people you will actually play with.

this is just an awful, awful post and I hope you quit this game so I never have to share pixels with you.

I rather play with a keyboard turning, slow moving, does not speak english tank than an AI tank.

10+ Year Old Account

This is were you do Y activity until your que finally pops, instead of afking in main city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.