Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Nice how you didn't even read the quote. I said I don't have a problem with women serving, I just have a problem forcing them to. And forcing only men to serve isn't a "good bit", I just don't have a problem with it.
    stop your misogynous attitude... or in this sense... and probably from your stand point, your attempt at being chivalrous. Chivalry is dead. The only thing that is left is courtesy. Welcome to the modern world.

A man is forced to serve? So is a woman. It is pure and simple of being equality. Anything else is a gender biased. Forcing only men to serve is beyond the point of stupidity. What does the draft actually serve? Its not freedom, or anything, its for a body count. Putting more bodies on the front lines. Why should men be the only ones to be forced to "serve" their country, when the country is for men AND WOMEN? Men and women should both be dying for their country, specially if they are drafted to.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Equality means taking the good with the bad, you should not be able to pick and choose what rights and privileges you get.
    x1000000

Equal is Equal.

Deleted
    One word, equality. If you really want to be equal you have to be equal in all areas, not just pick and choose as you see fit.

Good move!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A complaint I find largely to be one of convenience, in countries where conscription isn't in place at least. They feel they need a cross to bear so they find a program that (in the US) isn't even active anymore.

That being said I'm not sure how this played politically in Norway but all the articles I can find have a female politician talking about how important it is so that's something.
    I'm not referring specifically to this event, and Wells be honest, how often do feminist activists actively campaign to increase the station of men in areas where they are lacking?

Ranging from mental health, to education, how many rallies go on? Hell Wells I'm not saying feminism is made up of rabid man haters, but it's a group motivated to benefit its primary members. Tangential benefits sometimes occur, but not through concious focus of the group's activities.

And that's fine, it's what feminists are meant to do, work for the rights and privileged of their fellows. I just don't subscribe to the idea you'll solve gender problems by focusing on one gender at a time, hence my egalitarian stance on gender issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    You do know that just more accurately outlines your sexism?
    Oh me and my evil ways. How wrong of me to not want to force women to fight and die but have no problem if us men do it....

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    So you are trying to point out that you are not sexist, by proving you are flat out sexist... ok then...
    I guess that's the most accurate way to put it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've complained about the "internet feminist" versus the "actual feminist" before, yes.

The former is mostly made up of the type that doesnt' give a flip about "equality" and simply wants to drive clicks via the manufacture of outrage about any and all topics. The other actually cares about gender equality. (My wife is a feminist! Yay.)

It is a clear distinction? Probably not. Is the term something I just completely made up? Yeah.

I wouldn't want to deny Wells his god-given right to turn every thread into a stage on which he can play the victim, though.
    Tell your wife to join the egalitarians.

There won't be celebration, but one of us will probably wave at her in a detached sort of way.

I'm not referring specifically to this event, and Wells be honest, how often do feminist activists actively campaign to increase the station of men in areas where they are lacking?
    Which is a ridiculous question on its face anyway. You're asking how often a group does something that isn't part of why they exist. But if you want to know, feminist groups actively and aggressively cooperate with LGBT groups on legislative agendas, which seriously helps improve the lives of gay men, a very maligned group of men.

Deleted
    Good thing imo.

Men have been dying for their country for centuries, women desiring the same can also do so now.

Deleted
    Oh me and my evil ways. How wrong of me to not want to force women to fight and die but have no problem if us men do it....

So your rebuttal is that you're definitely sexist?

Cool.

Oh the turnip truck you fell off of yesterday must have been going like 80 mph. You have brain damage.

Deleted
    Mandatory military service is worse than slavery, it shouldn't exist for anyone (slaves generally didn't have to risk their lives). Besides, I fail to see the point. You can force people to waste time going through the training if you threaten them with jail but if there was a real attack, going to prison suddenly sounds a hell of a lot better than losing your life. So people who don't want to take part would probably not show up and would run instead. My point is that military service of any kind should be completely voluntary and they should try to lure people there by offering them benefits instead like free college, salary.. something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Which is a ridiculous question on its face anyway. You're asking how often a group does something that isn't part of why they exist. But if you want to know, feminist groups actively and aggressively cooperate with LGBT groups on legislative agendas, which seriously helps improve the lives of gay men, a very maligned group of men.
    /facepalm.

Did you read anything else I wrote before flipping the offended switch?

"And that's fine, it's what feminists are meant to do, work for the rights and privileged of their fellows. I just don't subscribe to the idea you'll solve gender problems by focusing on one gender at a time, hence my egalitarian stance on gender issues."

Again, as I said, it doesn't address gender inequality, but sufferance of discrimination for women. And the LGBT groups being supported, so? You think men's rights, or any other politically focused group, groups never do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Equality means taking the good with the bad, you should not be able to pick and choose what rights and privileges you get.
    Exactly. The problem is most vocal equality groups are not interested in "equality" as much as "more power/privilege without the responsibility".

Is this for "immigrant" women as well?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    Exactly. The problem is most vocal equality groups are not interested in "equality" as much as "more power/privilege without the responsibility".
    That's the entire point of those groups, hence why they call themselves after their primary focus of effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Mandatory military service is worse than slavery
    What....

You get paid for mandatory military service, you dont get send off to warzones.

Being able to fight back as a citizen during hostile control of your country and to form a resistance must be absolutely futile in your eyes aswell then.

Imo mandatory service is good.
    You learn a bunch of things and you actually connect more to your fellow country men, EVEN those from foreign descent born in your country. Besides with things boiling up as they are now I personally think military service will in fact be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'm unaware of Norway's society and their view regarding national enlistment, but i'd of much rather preferred to cancel it as a whole for both men and women; But i guess this will sate certain groups hoping to achieve representative equality in all areas of Norway.
    Mandatory force enlistment is in essence just there to make sure that the "yearly quota" is met. In actuality the most suitable and motivated (as said in the article) are chosen, and good chance is, if you really don't want to join the army, you won't have to. The way the system works is that the first round of enlistment, everyone at or around the age of 18 gets a form to fill out, with a lot of questions regarding your physical state, any disabilities, whether or not you actually want to join the force (and if so, which part -- the army, navy, air force and/or the home guard). Second round, if you "pass" the first one, includes tests to check what shape you are in, as well as a medical examination.

The amount of people enlisted every year is quite low actually, due to budget and need. And the actual mandatory serving time is usually 12 months, not 19.

Anyway, as far as female enlistment goes, it is highly unlikely for any non-motivated women to even get in. The tests and requirements are the same, regardless of gender, and are quite high (and it's not a secret that the general physical strength of men on average gives an advantage here).

I am all for gender equality, and if there is to be mandatory enlistment, it should apply to both genders.
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Mandatory military service is worse than slavery...
    It really isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for them. If mandatory military service is in place, it shouldn't discriminate based on gender.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingsomething View Post
    What....

You get paid for mandatory military service, you dont get send off to warzones.

Being able to fight back as a citizen during hostile control of your country and to form a resistance must be absolutely futile in your eyes aswell then.

Imo mandatory service is good.
    You learn a bunch of things and you actually connect more to your fellow country men, EVEN those from foreign descent born in your country. Besides with things boiling up as they are now I personally think military service will in fact be very useful.
    But it is slavery, like it or not. You're forced to do something against your will and if you refuse, you get punished. I mean you can paint slavery in bright colors as well, roof over your head, free meals, clothes and you learn how to do different kinds of chores. It's still the same thing. Mandatory military service is exactly the same as being forced into slavery for however long it takes and it's pointless. I mean if I was forced to go through it and a war actually broke out, good luck with that, I'd pack my things and get out of there or just wouldn't show up. Jail beats risking your life any day.