Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    You know what they do to console games when they can't hit the FPS target? They do things to reduce the quality until they hit their FPS target.

Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    What happened to the days of civil, fact based arguments...?
    The internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarG View Post
    You know what they do to console games when they can't hit the FPS target? They do things to reduce the quality until they hit their FPS target.
    This isn't new, or limited to consoles.
    PC Games do it too. Just play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut with the Comments from the Dev team turned on. They actually tell you that they have a limit on the number of AI characters they can put on each level because otherwise the game wouldn't run smoothly enough (presumably on a PC with the minimum system requirements)
    (Love that game by the way, makes me want to buy Directors Cut versions of all the games I play)

Yeah, like frame rate is the only problem that home consoles have!
    green is the color!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    This isn't new, or limited to consoles.
    PC Games do it too. Just play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut with the Comments from the Dev team turned on. They actually tell you that they have a limit on the number of AI characters they can put on each level because otherwise the game wouldn't run smoothly enough (presumably on a PC with the minimum system requirements)
    (Love that game by the way, makes me want to buy Directors Cut versions of all the games I play)
    But the difference is they only need to set an average for the average PC, yet are able to add quality for the higher end rigs without effecting the lower end. Something like AI, yea changing settings probably wouldn't change it usually, but aesthetically PC Game Devs aren't as limited as consoles. All they need to be able to do is make sure that the game can run on low-mid end gaming PCs on low settings and be able to run on high end systems on ultra, which low end and high end could account for a high variety of systems. Kind of like how Shadow of Mordor released the option to download Ultra HD pack for a very select few of users with enough VRAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets keep something in mind, PC does not get console's hand me downs, cross platform games are console games ported by devs trying in increase the marketshare by including PC, but they are not PC games, if they want to run at 30FPS, let them

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sorry for not taking reddit especially /r/pcmasterrrace seriously.
    ^this, the whole PCmasterrace thing is at this point nothing but a bunch of trolls, with very little actual PC knowledge or enthusiasm (see hatred of apple and boner for the term open-source)

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when there's very little communication between developers and consumers. So when developers limit their games to 30 fps, there had better be a good explanation for this. Especially when developers usually do give people the option to disable the 30 fps lock by modifying some game files.

Speculation is all you have to go by. Otherwise it's either the developers didn't care enough or Sony/Microsoft had influenced them.

30 fps is better than 60 because its closer to 24 fps in cinemas

But seriously tho, there is never a reason to limit the FPS of a PC game. Regardless if you are fine with 30 fps (which dosnt bother me at all) or 60fps. Limiting it is silly

you are seeing the first visible signs of the end of microsoft, possibly Sony, but def microsoft, so stupid to make games look worse than they can be with the current technology...so stupid

if they do that, someone else will just step in, and harness the pc market for gaming properly so much so they'll just run the consoles out of the market.

their consoles have one of two decisions to make, evolve to a more pc like for mat, with varying degrees of consoles calibre availble at different prices, possibly even be able to swap more than just memory, out for upgrades, or ultimately make proper gaming pcs, by the time you hit 17 you really should be PCing far more serioulsy, building your own gear etc and mastered learning how to optimize

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molster View Post

But seriously tho, there is never a reason to limit the FPS of a PC game. Regardless if you are fine with 30 fps (which dosnt bother me at all) or 60fps. Limiting it is silly
    Agreed. I'm mad enough when games (usually ports) like AC Black Flag are FPS capped at 60. All I could think about is how I could be enjoying the benefits of my 144Hz monitor if it wasn't for dumbass consoles. I couldn't imagine 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post

Other point is that normal human's eye can't see the difference between 24 and higher frames per second.
    Why is it that whenever this statement is brought up there is always a different number used for the amount of FPS?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Why is it that whenever this statement is brought up there is always a different number used for the amount of FPS?
    Because it's a big fat floppy lie.

Quote Originally Posted by molster View Post
    Movies on reel are 24fps and it looks fine because there's motion blur on them that isnt present on computer games, and they're projected at 72fps (3x24) to reduce flicker.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    their consoles have one of two decisions to make, evolve to a more pc like for mat, with varying degrees of consoles calibre availble at different prices, possibly even be able to swap more than just memory, out for upgrades, or ultimately make proper gaming pcs, by the time you hit 17 you really should be PCing far more serioulsy, building your own gear etc and mastered learning how to optimize
    Wouldn't the first logical step be graphic settings. Could happen in various forms, but the most likely is a very limited low and high. Where low is low quality graphics with the game running at 60 FPS (or unlimited to how much the TV can handle?). High would be high quality graphics, but the game runs at 30FPS.

Deleted
    Yeah the topic is/was more of a bait, posting random "reddit" video with "feel free to discuss" and not even adding his own opinion and/or thoughts on the subject. Looking for a reaction from people which he kinda succeeded with

Obviously very few people is going to condone or be happy with any limits and caps put on various games.

I'm gonna go ahead and close this. Not a lot of actual discussion is happening. In the future, please do not make opening posts with just a video and "Discuss".