10+ Year Old Account

About to install/OC new MoBo & CPU, any tips?

Grabbed a 4670K today, which means I can finally use my MoBo I bought a week ago and assemble everything aside from a new GPU. Is there anything specific I have to worry about? Do I have to re-install Windows? Change settings in the BIOS? Ensure that I have some driver pre-installed?

Also, this stuff is capable of overclocking, but aside from my 7850 via GPU Tweak, I haven't overclocked anything. I'm thinking of looking on Linus' channel for a primer or something, but maybe you guys would know of a better one, or maybe you could just help me out with a few pointers.

Won't begin assembly until there are a few replies, I don't want to go into this blind.

The build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($396.95 @ Vuugo) <----Still need to buy, using HD 7850 in the meantime
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1134.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 19:46 EDT-0400
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you buy a 4670k? No one ever recommended that to you in your other thread over the 4690k.

My tip is to return it and replace it with a 4690k immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Why did you buy a 4670k? No one ever recommended that to you in your other thread over the 4690k.

My tip is to return it and replace it with a 4690k immediately.
    Saved $40 because the 4690K was out of stock, there didn't seem to be much of a difference. I haven't opened it yet, so I suppose I could return it. Am I really going to see a dramatic difference?
    [/url]

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Saved $40 because the 4690K was out of stock, there didn't seem to be much of a difference. I haven't opened it yet, so I suppose I could return it. Am I really going to see a dramatic difference?
    Runs hotter, can't overclock it as well. Would be your choice. Average overclock for a 4670k is around 4.2Ghz unless you get lucky.

If it's windows on a new motherboard, then yes I recommend reinstalling Windows, optimizing the SSD, and starting fresh. Need to change from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS for the SSD. Install all of the drivers for the video card and motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Runs hotter, can't overclock it as well. Would be your choice. Average overclock for a 4670k is around 4.2Ghz unless you get lucky.

If it's windows on a new motherboard, then yes I recommend reinstalling Windows, optimizing the SSD, and starting fresh. Need to change from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS for the SSD. Install all of the drivers for the video card and motherboard.
    Okay, re-installation is a wise move, got it. My current CPU is an i5 2300. If I'm going to see a dramatic performance increase with this 4670K...then I'm not too bothered by sticking with it and not paying $60 more, even if OC potential's a bit lessened.

For re-installing Windows 7, the "copy" I'm using has been pre-installed, since this rig originated as a gateway desktop. I'm just going to carry over that copy of Windows 7 onto this essentially brand new computer. Could I download Windows 7, stick it on a thumb drive and pop it into the MoBo and have it install that way? I don't have any CDs at my disposal.

I could use this method again if that won't work. Right? It worked perfectly for me when I was having issues with transferring my OS to my SSD. No issues since.
    [/url]

got my 4770k on 4.5ghz but i use a noctua nh-d14(can oc it more but i dont want to raise volts beyond 1.3), on a evo u will very lucky with 4.2, is a good cooler(for his price) but haswell are really hot and poor overclockers.

but dont thing that 4690k will be much better, they are only 3-5º cooler so u will have similar results.

my advice if u want to oc it go to a dark rock 3 or a nh-d14/15, noctuas are more expensive but they have 5 years warranty,better cooling and if u upgrade your rig to a new socket they will send you a kit to keep using your noctua on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts about using a H60? I have one that I haven't touched. Will it be better than my EVO 212?

Also...am I even going to need to overclock? I'm super new to this, if my bajillion past posts here haven't shown. To simplify my lengthy original build post, I want 60 FPS at 1080p in WoW, Warframe, a modded Skyrim using dozens of texture mods. Will this CPU (with a 970, mind you) help achieve that goal without overclocking, or is it a requirement?

I'm not really bothered with the money I've spent if OC won't be required, I can always OC later with this setup if I don't need to do it right away for games like that. Perhaps it'll be something I need to look into once I'm playing The Witcher 3?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2014-10-17 at 12:55 AM.
    [/url]

u will have no problem with stock speed for those games, so no u dont need oc, witcher 3 is hard to tell cause is not released yet but i am 99% sure u will be fine too, u can go to stock intel cooler if u are not going to oc and later buy a good cooler when u need to oc it for future games, unless u live on a hot zone in summer there u will have nasty hot temperatures 90º+ (that is bad) in this case a evo will be a good cooler.

about H60 is a good cooler and much better than a evo so if u have one put it on, about oc on it, well, u will have more room for oc but is not a great cooler for good oc in haswell, also i am not a big fan of closed loop coolers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just read some reviews and it looks like it's going to be so close that it doesn't matter. At 4.3, they both seem to do a good job according to the posts I've read. People keep recommending the 212 over the H60 based on the price which makes total sense, but I have both. So I'll give the H60 a shot.
    [/url]

The H60 is meh, I wouldn't recommend it. For me it's Hyper212, NH-D14/NH-D15 or H100/H110. H80 is decent but bulky. Keep in mind that radiator tend to do buzz sounds so it's not always silence.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter