Help...Buying an SSD within the next couple of hours.

So, I don't have an SSD... "ZOMG R U NOOB" I hear you say.

Well, no. But I have never really justified paying for one, never been really bothered about fast boot up times, loading screens, etc etc.

However, I have a few spare pounds, the prices seem to be a lot lower than last time I looked, and with WoW: WoD not too far away, I thought I might as well have a punt at one.

I'll be making my purchase around 1400hrs-1500hrs, Ideally this will be via Amazon, using Prime.

So....

• Budget - Ideally not more than £60 But can go up to £100
    • Resolution - N/A
    • Games / Settings Desired - N/A
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) N/A
    • Country - United Kingdom
    • Parts that can be reused - N/A
    • Do you need an OS? Nope
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? N/A

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry posted in wrong forum, thought I had clicked the Build/Upgrade forum. Can a mod please move.
    Last edited by Stockers; 2014-10-17 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Wrong forum.

Samsung 840 series EVO 120 GB
    Perfect performance for not too much money. Retails around 55 quid.
    You could go for a 250 GB version if you have spare money!

update:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120G...ds=samsung+evo

I would highly suggest getting a 250gb drive if not alone for the fact that you can budget to get your OS on it along with games. You say you don't mind loading times etc, but until you see an OS actually running on an SSD you probably won't believe just how much faster it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasandriel View Post
    Samsung 840 series EVO 120 GB
    Perfect performance for not too much money. Retails around 55 quid.
    You could go for a 250 GB version if you have spare money!

update:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120G...ds=samsung+evo
    Thanks mate, appreciate the link.

Kingston vs Samsung? Any difference worth noting? As I had been looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Tec...id+state+drive

But... Urgh, I really can't be chewed going through with a fine tooth comb to see that one performs 0.34% better when running at 45c, as long as it's a Tuesday. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehpwner View Post
    I would highly suggest getting a 250gb drive if not alone for the fact that you can budget to get your OS on it along with games. You say you don't mind loading times etc, but until you see an OS actually running on an SSD you probably won't believe just how much faster it runs.
    Yeah, that's the thing. Since I have not sampled the loading speeds, and having put up with loading screens since like... forever, I am just used to it I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    Thanks mate, appreciate the link.

Kingston vs Samsung?
    Write speed on the Samsung is a lot higher.
    You can find a pretty reliable review over here: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare...0GB/1886vs1892
    And for those few pounds extra you're netting yourself quite some extra performance.
    And like another poster said, if you have the cash get the double size, you won't regret it.

Deleted
    I would go for a crucial MX100 either 128gb or 256 gb

You will not notice a difference between either the EVO or MX100. PLus the MX100 as powercaps to help data loss if you get a power cut.

I would advice to get a 256 one tho, 128gb is filled up rather fast.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I've got a samsung evo 840 250gb and it's real good. I wouldn't consider going lower in size the 120 is really too small.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

I just bought: 'Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive' by Samsu...
    www.amazon.co.uk
    Share this item

Deleted
    there's not much reason to get a ssd for other than your OS (atleast not now), it's nice to have short loading screens on your game but it's not rly needed

just purchasing as 64 gb ssd for the OS alone is very worth it, anything above 64 gig is just for those shorter loading screens on games

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    there's not much reason to get a ssd for other than your OS (atleast not now), it's nice to have short loading screens on your game but it's not rly needed

just purchasing as 64 gb ssd for the OS alone is very worth it, anything above 64 gig is just for those shorter loading screens on games
    I can't disagree more on that. Personally I've had an SSD for over 3 years now. My first one was a 120 GB Vertex 2 by OCZ. And personally, I found it very frustrating having to put a lot of my software on a secondary drive, which in result started so much slower than the software that was installed on the SSD.
    Once you used an SSD to load games from, use Photoshop or even just open your mail client/browse the web you don't want anything else.
    Remember a hard drive is still the slowest component in your entire PC and replacing that by a faster alternative is the best thing you can do.
    This is coming from a PC-Technician perspective btw.

Ya man 64gig is just to small.... you can get a 120 gb ssd for like 60$ now

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

By this logic you really don't NEED faster OS loading times and boot times. You really don't NEED faster browsing times. You really don't NEED faster transfers. I suppose we should all just backtrack and go for a cheap 5400RPM HDD because we don't NEED anything higher. We should also just stop buying expensive hardware because we don't NEED 60-120fps in video games and even buy cheaper monitors because we don't NEED big resolutions and big screen sizes with brilliant colors. Hell we don't even NEED computers.

It's not about what we need. It's about convenience and time efficiency to be more productive in other ways rather than waiting on something to load or finish. It's about a better experience.

And even minus the games that really don't matter since you'll have to wait for other people to load it on their shitty hardware anyways, 64GB won't be enough for all of your programs that you use consistently throughout the day. Internet Browsers, Video/Imaging Editing Software, etc.

Depends heavily on the game. MMOs tend to be randomly loading a lot more odd & non-predictable bits of data on the fly - there's no way WoW can predict the transmogs of every twit in orgrimmar/stormwind & start pre-loading them the instant you take a portal from pandaria.

On the other hand, Assassin's Creed or whatever can just load the level all at once & get away with a slower initial reads.

I'd always recommend getting a SSD big enough to fit your system + any MMOs you play.

probably to late but yeah get one that is at least 120 if not 250 really.. it fills up fast. I run my OS and a few key games .. i think just WoW now actually. If you can wait till black friday / cyber monday for deal. Also once u get it and install your OS do thinks like make sure defrag is turned off, move the pagefile off the drive... temp folder, downloads etc... It helps with life span and performance, and free space since the drive is going to be a touch small.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22