My car broke down, i need a tow, i have a q

So my car died recently and i had to leave it a grocery store, i definitely need a tow, i plan to call in the morning but i have a question

do i need to be there in person? I just walked about 5 miles home. Can i just have them take it to a mechanic and have them bill me some way?

Call the mechanic, they normally have a preferred tow guy, and will include it on your repair ticket.

Some tow companies dont like picking up and dropping off a car without you there. I know a guy who used to tow and he had to go to sheriffs department several times because someone would have him pick up a car off the side of the road or a parking lot and drop it off somewhere, turns out he stole someones car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    So my car died recently and i had to leave it a grocery store, i definitely need a tow, i plan to call in the morning but i have a question

do i need to be there in person? I just walked about 5 miles home. Can i just have them take it to a mechanic and have them bill me some way?
    You probably need to be there. The car needs to be in neutral to tow it, which means either having you there to open the door or having them break in with a slim jim. Usually they won't do that without being able to verify you as the owner of the car, because they don't want to accidentally steal the car on the behalf of someone who doesn't actually own it.

Get a friend to drop you off or get a taxi there if you don't want to walk the 5 miles (which really isn't that bad).
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

cool, thanks appreciate it

Coming from an ex-cop. If a tow truck driver ever tells you how much money you have low ball the shit out of it.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    Coming from an ex-cop. If a tow truck driver ever tells you how much money you have low ball the shit out of it.
    Do you mean if a tow truck driver ever ASKS how much money you have? Doesn't make any sense the way you said it. That being said unless it's a guy who owns his own truck no company is gonna let you low ball them. Most tow truck companies make there money by towing from lots they patrol or from being on AAA/highway patrol rotations where they are guarenteed a certain amount.

Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    Do you mean if a tow truck driver ever ASKS how much money you have? Doesn't make any sense the way you said it. That being said unless it's a guy who owns his own truck no company is gonna let you low ball them. Most tow truck companies make there money by towing from lots they patrol or from being on AAA/highway patrol rotations where they are guarenteed a certain amount.
    I have heard after fuel and insurance there is not too much money in towing independently. Try making the guy a cash offer though

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I have heard after fuel and insurance there is not too much money in towing independently. Try making the guy a cash offer though
    My uncle runs a tow truck buisiness, only has a few trucks, and I can confirm that there isn't a lot of money in it unless you are corrupt and do shady roam towing which he wont do. If his employees were driving all over and taking cash offers and shorting my uncle then he would go under very fast, as it is he has been trying to sell his company for years just to get out from under it because there just isn't much money in it doing it honestly.