Page 1 of 71
... LastLast

Why is the game "Hatred" getting a huge amount of negative feedback.

Like the title says why is this game getting such a huge amount of negtive feedback.

For those who haven't seen it here is the trailer and its NSFW or around anyone under 18.

Now here is my thoughs on the video. Yes it is mindless killing but what makes this game stand out more then someone running around on GTA killing everyone to get a 6 star awanted level for fun or playing games like Hotline Miami/Postal or Manhunt.

All three of those games are highly praised among the gaming community even more so hotline miami but its still mindless over the top killings. Then you got movies like SAW where there is just a fuck ton of torture and killings. To me this game moves in a step where I would like to see some games and movies go.

You play as a bad guy and thats a aspect I personally like. I am so tired of games where you play as a good guy and the good guy wins. It repeats the same story model over and over so its nice to be a badguy.

lets compare it to tv now. Dexter/Breaking Bad are both highly respected tv series and Dexter is a book as well. In Dexter the main character is a muderer by he kills badguys and sometimes good guys if they get in his way. He is not a hero and is always the villain up to the end. Breaking Bad on the other hand is a Good Guy who turned bad due to his sickness and greed. He also killed and hurt many good people.

So why is it these series get praise and yet a game like this comes along and its getting huge amounts of negtive feedback. I personally don't see the difference in playing GTA and killing tons of people just to blow off steam or have fun. The only difference I see is the main guy of this game comes right out and says everything. He wants to see the world burn and will do it or die trying.

There is books/movies/other games that habe mindless kidding and worse in it. Yet this game seems to be getting a lot of "Hatred" for it...pun intented.

In my opinion anyone who likes Dexter/Breaking Back/Postal/Hotline Miami/Manhunt and yet hate this game because of the mindless killings are kinda hypocrite.

So what is your thoughs on it. Don't comment unless you watch the video please.

Edit: Boogie2988's opinion on the game and I 100% agree with it.

The only part I don't agree with is GTA. To me killing is killing it dosen't matter the context you try to put in it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-10-20 at 09:31 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

His genocide crusade starts with a knife, 2 clips and a grenade, sure is gona kill alot.

That trailer was honestly a bit sickening.

You can't compare something like this to series like Dexter or Breaking Bad. Lumping them together just because both feature killing in some way is a huge false equivalency. The characters in those series have some sort of arc, some ethos that at least explains where they started from and sheds light on the journey they're taking. This is just mindless gore.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    That trailer was honestly a bit sickening.

You can't compare something like this to series like Dexter or Breaking Bad. Lumping them together just because both feature killing in some way is a huge false equivalency. The characters in those series have some sort of arc, some ethos that at least explains where they started from and sheds light on the journey they're taking. This is just mindless gore.
    Hotline Miami isn't mindless gore? Nether is Manhunt?

Maybe the game will shed some light and give him a back story But to hate it to a point where someone dosen't want it to release is byound me. Even more so when there is worse things out there. Dexters motive was to feed his blood lust via killing badguys and sometimes good guys. This guy wishs to kill everyone and thats his reason.

I really don't see a difference in the two. In the end everything Dexter did fucked up everyones life around him.

Also smash tv was mindless gore as well but still highly praised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    His genocide crusade starts with a knife, 2 clips and a grenade, sure is gona kill alot.
    lol.

/10char
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-10-18 at 07:02 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Watched video...

Games like GTA don't deify the wannabe heros that shoot up kindergartens, they put you in the role of a criminal, hitman, serial killer, etc. All the other mainstream people killer games are played from a perspective that iss a little more tame. Sure you can go around killing hookers for 6 stars to blow off steam, but you are still in the shoes of a criminal with a clear cut goal that's not "I hate everyone, so let me kill them all." If you bought GTA JUST to see people die for hours on end then you might have issues, and that's not the main reason why the game is so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Watched video...

Games like GTA don't deify the wannabe heros that shoot up kindergartens, they put you in the role of a criminal, hitman, serial killer, etc. All the other mainstream people killer games are played from a perspective that iss a little more tame. Sure you can go around killing hookers for 6 stars to blow off steam, but you are still in the shoes of a criminal with a clear cut goal that's not "I hate everyone, so let me kill them all." If you bought GTA JUST to see people die for hours on end then you might have issues, and that's not the main reason why the game is so popular.
    One of the main reasons why GTA is so popular is because its a big open world you can do whatever in. This game dose the samething you just don't have a 6 star wanted level and a tank.

Also Manhunt/Hotline Miami has mindless killings. If you cut out what is said in the game this is just another game. Hell smash tv is mindless killings for prize money and rewards..

Games like GTA don't deify the wannabe heros that shoot up kindergartens
    Also I didn't see any kids killed in the video so maybe they didn't go that route. I could see people getting upset at that like they did the dead island trailer.

Is this what all those kids who shoot up schools feel like before they do it?
    Oh aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    Is this what all those kids who shoot up schools feel like before they do it?
    Basically, yes. Hence the reaction against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    One of the main reasons why GTA is so popular is because its a big open world you can do whatever in. This game dose the samething you just don't have a 6 star wanted level and a tank.
    its not about the gore, or possibilities...it's about whose shoes you are putting on that makes this game so disturbing. Still, from what I've seen, the people who go around and do nothing but kill in GTA are in the minority

Also Manhunt/Hotline Miami has mindless killings. If you cut out what is said in the game this is just another game. Hell smash tv is mindless killings for prize money and rewards..
    I'd like to see some numbers on how populars these actually were....reviews for being "edgy" aside, I don't even know anyone who has really played either. I'd certainly argue that these games were nowhere near as popular as GTA because of the fact you are in a slightly more disturbing role. Manhunt also did get a shit ton of flak for it's content.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Basically, yes. Hence the reaction against it.
    Remove what he said and how is it any different then any other game that has mindless killings.

In all of the other games that you listed, there is conflict between good and bad - the main characters often struggle with what they do. Even GTA, which is one of the more free-form of the bunch - when you do bad things you get chased by the cops. The bad things that happen are also put into contexts with stories.

That trailer seems like someone said "how can we make some cash? Let's cash in on the pure violent killing with no reason or remorse negative press" and gone from there.

All they had to do was change the mindset of the main character and everyone would have probably loved it. Goes to show you how sensitive society is. JMO.

that trailer was quite disturbing LOL

Deleted
    Remove what he said and how is it any different then any other game that has mindless killings.
    Well yeah you do have a point. This game is literally a murder simulator.
    But other games adleast throw some scraps of storytelling and give characters adleast stereotypical personalities in order to have something to say back to Thompsons.

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    All they had to do was change the mindset of the main character and everyone would have probably loved it. Goes to show you how sensitive society is. JMO.
    Thats how I feel about it.

If he said "My family was killed now fuck the world" people would be ok with it. But right off he just says fuck the world and starts killing. I personally want more games where you play the role as a real bad guy. I'm so tired of the good guy role its annoying. Even if in the end you lose as a badguy its still a different experince.

Hell there is lots of mindless killing games and games with good and evil roles. Lots of people pick evil roles and that ends with good people dying.

Perfect example of a evil role is infamous second son. You kill and become evil and even the ending flects that by him Killing a lot of innocent people

Also Manhunt/Hotline Miami has mindless killings. If you cut out what is said in the game this is just another game. Hell smash tv is mindless killings for prize money and rewards...
    See, that comparison would make sense if the general public would consider e.g. Manhunt to be acceptable... but we don't. What Serbian film is to disgusting films about human perversion, Hatred and Manhunt are in terms of disturbing use of violence in video games. There are some people who like this stuff, mostly sadists with fantasies about abstract and brutal violence, but the general populace condemns these things for being about nothing but senseless violence.

Also, your mentioning of GTA is just idiotic. There are hundreds of activities you can do in GTA, running amok is merely one of them. With the same logic as yours, GTA is also a Golf simulation game and an underwater exploration simulator.

Hotline Miami at least has some objectives outside of "murder as many innocents as you can".

Anywho, it's just absolutely mindboggling to me that you think Hatred can be defended. I mean, I could perhaps understand if you tried to argue that it attempts to be an extreme form of "art", the same way that people defend stuff like 2 guys 1 hammer, but just saying "it's not that bad"? Really? What the hell happened to you that you think Hatred's portrayal of the murder of innocent people is alright?

PS: I'm really curious where you got your "highly praised" statements from. Sadists United Weekly? Mutilating Innocents - Beginners Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Well yeah you do have a point. This game is literally a murder simulator.
    But other games adleast throw some scraps of storytelling and give characters adleast stereotypical personalities in order to have something to say back to Thompsons.
    Right and this game "Mite" have that depending. We don't have the full game to play at lease I don't think we do. I don't know if its out yet or not.

Hell in its own way it lets you make this backstory if you want. So each person's reason for doing this is different. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to praise the game I just don't see how it can recieve so much hate and other games don't. If its all about the words said then mute it..

Wonder if this is a honey pot for the NSA/FBI?

Little bit on the disturbing side, not gonna lie.

/goes back to listening to Tool - Ænema

Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    See, that comparison would make sense if the general public would consider e.g. Manhunt to be acceptable... but we don't. What Serbian film is to disgusting films about human perversion, Hatred and Manhunt are in terms of disturbing use of violence in video games. There are some people who like this stuff, mostly sadists with fantasies about abstract and brutal violence, but the general populace condemns these things for being about nothing but senseless violence.

Also, your mentioning of GTA is just idiotic. There are hundreds of activities you can do in GTA, running amok is merely one of them. With the same logic as yours, GTA is also a Golf simulation game and an underwater exploration simulator.

Hotline Miami at least has some objectives outside of "murder as many innocents as you can".

It's absolutely mindboggling to me that you think Hatred can be defended. I mean, I could perhaps understand if you tried to argue that it attempts to be an extreme form of "art", the same way that people defend stuff like 2 guys 1 hammer, but just saying "it's not that bad"? Really? What the hell happened to you that you think Hatred's portrayal of the murder of innocent people is alright?

PS: I'm really curious where you got your "highly praised" statements from. Sadists United Weekly? Mutilating Innocents - Beginners Issue?
    I love how your arugement boilds down to only people who are sadist can like this game or the idea over it. Maybe people like myself are just wanting to play the role of the badguy because we are so dam tired of the good guy role that has the same ending in everygame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tool03 View Post
    Wonder if this is a honey pot for the NSA/FBI?

Little bit on the disturbing side, not gonna lie.

/goes back to listening to Tool - Ænema
    lol

/10char