10+ Year Old Account

Nightmare Tide Porticulums Map

If you play Rift you'll know that the method or porting around the World involves the use of 'Porticulums' which act as portals to instantly transport you to numerous fixed points in any zone.

With 3.0 due to drop next Wednesday the 22nd, it's time to show you a map of each Porticulum in each of the current three Nightmare Tide zones

Goboro Reef:

http://i.imgur.com/Z9Fkr7b.jpg

Draumheim:

http://i.imgur.com/pvY7e9R.jpg

Tarken Glacier:

http://i.imgur.com/UzQVQ14.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    There's only 3 zones in the new expansion? Storm legion had 2 continents, like 11 huge zones >.<

Nightmare Tide is a small expansion, really. A lot of expansion-y stuff was actually pre-NT; like the extra raids (bindings) and souls. So if you look at it as latter half SL to NT, the content add has been pretty decent. But as NT standalone it is a rather small expansion.

The zones are fairly big in NT though. Not ridiculously so- it's not like the glacier is 10x the size of dendrome or palldane. They are a decent size though, IMO.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    There's only 3 zones in the new expansion? Storm legion had 2 continents, like 11 huge zones >.<
    Very glad I didn't talk myself into paying $150 for a mutant shark mount and 3 zones.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    There's only 3 zones in the new expansion?
    One of the complaints about the zones in Storm Legion was that they were too "big" and felt "empty", which was true, how often would you go back to some of the zones when you reached level 60?

Unless you were chasing Artifacts, completing zone achievements or collecting crafting mats, chances are very little time was spent in the level 50-57 zones. All the end game activity became focused on Ashora for Hunt Rifts and the Dendrome for Strongholds, even the third end game zone, Steppes of Infinity, got little use.

So now Trion went the opposite way, instead of giving us another 11 huge zones they chose to give us three relevant zones, as the level cap is just an extra 5 levels, it means even the 'starter' zone Goboro Reef will still be relevant. Also don't forget, most of the zone is in 3D, you can go up, down, sideways through sheer vertical walls of water, you can port up into the actual Plane of Water itself and "drop" down a few hundred virtual feet into Draumheim.

Now, having extensively tested and went over every crack and rock with a fine tooth comb, i can safely say they've excelled themselves with this Expansion, the various storyline quests and arcs are fairly awesome and will keep you still questing just to follow the stories to the end long after you reach level 65.

For the achievements for completing quests in the zones, there's at least 345 quests to get the achievement and 158 Carnages, obviously there's a lot more than that, but those are the numbers needed for the achievements.

It's totally F2P anyhow, you can jump in today and explore/quest everything, nothing is locked, heck you could even make a new char now, get to at least level 10 and can be side kicked (mentored up) to level 60-65 and join the fun in the new zones
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2014-10-22 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    One of the complaints about the zones in Storm Legion was that they were too "big" and felt "empty", which was true, how often would you go back to some of the zones when you reached level 60?
    One extreme to the other. Will the never learn?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    One extreme to the other. Will the never learn?
    Yeah...you would think their take away would be to make the same amount of zones and variety, but make them smaller and more content filled. Even as an armchair 'game designer' I can see that was the obvious solution. I'm thinking they just tried to cut costs, which is completely fine actually, but it's not going to be as pleasing to experience as an alternative. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but probably won't have time until sometime next year.
    BAD WOLF

I'm sure costs were a big factor in the smaller expansion of NT compared to SL. There are a lot of new art assets in NT- doesn't seem Trion had the ability to draw that out for 8 more zones.

I don't think Trion went to any sort of extreme. There's actually 4 zones. Tyrant's Throne seems to have been overlooked. With that said all the zones besides Tyrant's Throne are massive and as mentioned before, there's a certain 3 dimensional factor to many of the zones in how its been constructed. All in all, just from hoping in to explore the new stuff, it doesn't feel like the zones are small or lacking content. Draumheim in particular is an interesting zone just because you can sort of "fly" there... or more accurately you can use the lil sponges that throw you up into the air and pierce the water barrier allowing you to swim over the zone and reach specific points of interest directly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift zones have sucked since vanilla imo, I hated the ones in SL and hate NT except for tarken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice Thread necro

The Expansion is far from finished, there's still two, possibly three huge land masses to be added still, Plane Touched Wilds, which is the now very large piece of land to the east of Droughtlands 'possibly' coming in 3.4 or 3.5 and Myrkur Depths which 'may' be the large land mass to the east of Tarken Glacier and Draumheim or may be the Island off to the west of Tarken.

Also posted have been a few teaser screen shots of upcoming Factions and NPCs, like this one, the Shalistiri not sure is this for Plane Touched Wilds or is it even further away for when we hit the Plane of Air

This next screenie just "might" be what a Primalist looks like

My apologies >.< I didn't even notice the last post date -_-

7+ Year Old Account
    This is gorgeous. I wonder if they'll be a playable race. A trion employee once mentioned if they ever made a new race, it would be bundled with a new calling.. so *crosses fingers*. I seriously love the art design in Rift, it's completely original imo. The game doesn't give a stock fantasy feel.