Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    As God as my witness, if another Bush gets elected as president I am moving to Europe.
    Alec Baldwin? Is that you?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who advocates not voting as a method for political change is a) doing it wrong and b) missing the point entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Anyone who advocates not voting as a method for political change is a) doing it wrong and b) missing the point entirely.
    And c) forgetting that the goal of many political campaigns is to get you to abstain from voting.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And c) forgetting that the goal of many political campaigns is to get you to abstain from voting.
    Isn't it pretty much established that lower turnout favors the GOP?

Low overall turnout does. They obviously want their block to show up. Its just their block is more reliable due to several factors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans often vote against their own interests, Democrats often don't vote.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Republicans often vote against their own interests, Democrats often don't vote.
    Welfare being the number one thing especially to rural Republicans. They'll bitch and moan about someone getting food stamps not realizing their farm subsidiary is also lumped in with the hand-outs they think poor minorities are getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Welfare being the number one thing especially to rural Republicans. They'll bitch and moan about someone getting food stamps not realizing their farm subsidiary is also lumped in with the hand-outs they think poor minorities are getting.
    They'll bitch and moan about people getting food stamps, while they're on food stamps. It's always the "others" that are misusing they system, not them. I've had conversations along the following lines.

Them: "Food stamps are a joke, taking hard working peoples money and giving it to lazy do nothings."
    Me: "Aren't you on food stamps?"
    Them: "Yea. But I need it..."
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Low overall turnout does. They obviously want their block to show up. Its just their block is more reliable due to several factors.
    Well this is why the GOP "voter ID" laws and their reducing polling hours, early voting, and polling places is targeting more democratic areas and demographics.

All to cure a problem they can't prove exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    All to cure a problem they can't prove exists.
    It cures something they see as a problem that definitely exists.

That problem is "People voting Democratic".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

No more Bushes please....pleaseeeeeee....

I know Jeb's the "smart" one, but still...no more....enough...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like the usa version of the royal family :P Except without all the inbreeding...*looking at bush family* umm nm...

A right-wing classmate of mine from high school likes to complain on facebook about food stamp recipients "scamming the system". She was on welfare for three years.

She's also been in college for nine years working on her paralegal certificate, and refuses to go back to work until her son is grown because she needs to "parent" him (I think he's 10 or 11 now).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    A right-wing classmate of mine from high school likes to complain on facebook about food stamp recipients "scamming the system". She was on welfare for three years.
    The thing that kills me is that most of the GOP dialogue is around essentially eliminating social programs. I never really understood why they don't advocate for reform if they really think fraud is such a problem. It seems to me that it's rather common sense that welfare reform would get more traction and backing from voters than cutting or eliminating the programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing that kills me is that most of the GOP dialogue is around essentially eliminating social programs. I never really understood why they don't advocate for reform if they really think fraud is such a problem. It seems to me that it's rather common sense that welfare reform would get more traction and backing from voters than cutting or eliminating the programs.
    You have to consider the platform the GOP takes. Most of their stances are against women and minorities. When you are a poor and uneducated white person who thinks that the evil black woman with three baby daddies is getting something you are not you vote against the party that endorses welfare. It's simply unheard of to consider that maybe this woman is currently working 50 hours a week to take care of her children and still does not make enough money.

They don't advocate for reform because welfare fraud is almost nonexistent; iirc it makes up less than 3% of all welfare cases. Most welfare recipients are women and children via the WIC program.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They'll bitch and moan about people getting food stamps, while they're on food stamps. It's always the "others" that are misusing they system, not them. I've had conversations along the following lines.

Them: "Food stamps are a joke, taking hard working peoples money and giving it to lazy do nothings."
    Me: "Aren't you on food stamps?"
    Them: "Yea. But I need it..."
    Anyone remember the poster on here who would constantly bitch about people "abusing" disability while on disability himself? He believed that if less people were on disability he'd get a bigger piece of the disability fund pie. He even had the nuts to say that he deserved/needed it more than most people with disabilities.

Democrats actually WANT people off welfare, but they're also going to go about giving it to people who need it. The efforts to make less people need it just keep getting torpedoed by Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to consider the platform the GOP takes. Most of their stances are against women and minorities. When you are a poor and uneducated white person who thinks that the evil black woman with three baby daddies is getting something you are not you vote against the party that endorses welfare. It's simply unheard of to consider that maybe this woman is currently working 50 hours a week to take care of her children and still does not make enough money.
    Maybe it's just that I refuse to believe there are THAT many heartless and cruel people in this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Are people seriously going to vote in a Bush for the third fucking time? How short peoples memories are.
    They both were good Presidents, real talk. So, why not? ( Really though, I hope not )
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's just that I refuse to believe there are THAT many heartless and cruel people in this country.
    There are and many of them are just as poor as the people they point their fingers at. I have a die-hard Tea Party supporter I used to work with at Home Depot. He lost his job because he got injured at work then has the audacity to blame Democrats for not protecting the workers. I literally face palmed since when we worked together he was always anti-union because "Unions and Democrats support them commie n*ggers always wanting hand outs" He hasn't changed yet - Everyday there's a new post on Facebook about how we need more God and Guns and how Organized Labor is destroying our Land of Freedom.