Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is this what I think it is? [Spider identification]

http://i62.tinypic.com/30i7z8m
    Is this a brown reculse?

Here is an actual picture of a Brown recluse:

It looks like an exact image.

Yours looks like a fairly standard house-spider, Ayla, how many eyes does it have?

It looks like a wolf spider.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'll help if you describe the taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most immediately apprent relevant detail is what the pattern on its head looks like. From your picture, it appears as if it has two parallel lines on its head; as you can see from the picture posted by boomgoesthedynamite, Brown Recluses have a "violin" shaped pattern on their head.

This is a southern house spider, which is completely harmless:

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yours looks like a fairly standard house-spider, Ayla, how many eyes does it have?
    I wasnt able to count before it ran away from me and hid. I am at work sadly, so its hiding somewhere where I cannot reach it. I am more afraid for my coworkers than anything. I really didnt think standard house spiders got that big. <3

Does look normal; From what I can tell, aside for color, it doesn't match a Brown Recluse.

I'd still say kill it, though. Or get a cat to find it and eat it.
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    Does look normal; From what I can tell, aside for color, it doesn't match a Brown Recluse.

I'd still say kill it, though. Or get a cat to find it and eat it.
    Na. With the exception of the brown recluse and black widow, spiders are harmless to humans and very useful in controlling a number of pests. OP, your spider is ether a common southern house spider or a wolf spider. Both will not harm you.

whatever it is, nothing a can of raid can't fix
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Ok awesome. Thanks guys. He may live!

Standard house spider in the uk -

they get pretty big, had 3 in my house in the last 2 weeks due to warm autumn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Ok awesome. Thanks guys. He may live!
    Nonsense.

Burn the place down, it's the only way to be certain it's not a recluse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had one living under my shower for about the last 2-3 week.

My shower is on raised brickwork and there's a gap, he's always sitting half in and half out, pops out full sometimes on his web. Around 3 inches long. He's brown and runs away if I get too close, but I don't think he's a brown recluse (just a normal house spider)

I think it may be a male hobo spider. I posted a thread awhile ago trying to identify something that looked like that myself, I will come back in a moment with pictures hopefully.

Here are some pictures from that thread I was talking about:
    http://imgur.com/4lXuTEP
    http://imgur.com/2DLc9UA
    http://imgur.com/ksR2iHX
    http://imgur.com/dOUwrcI

- - - Updated - - -

Brown recluse spiders are very distinct in their eyes and the violin line coming from the head down the abdomen. I do not think that is a brown recluse, I can faintly see the two line markings on its head and what looks to be the chevrons along its body.
    Hobo spiders are still quite dangerous, and where I am (Oregon area) They are the most deadly we have.
    Generally, they are aggressive spiders. They have poor eyesight and hunt on the ground. Their bite will cause damage and slight necrosis/skin decay like most of the other lovely deadly spiders in this world.
    They tend to be in wooded areas, or places like shops, garages, RVs and the like. I have found quite a few of them in our shop and in our wood piles when moving them for winter.
    I would advise trying to put it in a jar and let it loose somewhere, there is no sense in killing it. They do move very fast though, so do be careful.

The spider in the pictures linked above is a female, they are larger and have bigger butts. The males have slimmer bodies like the one in your picture and are generally smaller.
    Last edited by Rorillane; 2014-10-19 at 11:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Na. With the exception of the brown recluse and black widow, spiders are harmless to humans and very useful in controlling a number of pests.
    And theeeeeeeeen Australia!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    And theeeeeeeeen Australia!
    How many dangerous spider bites occur in Australia each year? Has anyone died from a bite recently?

There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979. An effective antivenom for Redback Spiders was introduced in 1956, and one for funnel-web spiders in 1980. These are the only two spiders that have caused deaths in Australia in the past.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Spider-facts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    How many dangerous spider bites occur in Australia each year? Has anyone died from a bite recently?

There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979. An effective antivenom for Redback Spiders was introduced in 1956, and one for funnel-web spiders in 1980. These are the only two spiders that have caused deaths in Australia in the past.

Because Australians are smart enough to stay the fuck away from anything with more than 4 legs.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post

There's a gulf of difference between harmless to humans and deadly poisonous but anti-venom is highly accessible.

I can guarantee that you don't want to get bitten by a redback, sydney funnel web or a white tail regardless. The people that I know who have experienced it didn't find it very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Because Australians are smart enough to stay the fuck away from anything with more than 4 legs.
    I would say anything that's not human in general.
    Kangaroos are pretty dangerous themselves.