Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nobody in the west is oppressed, discriminated against in some areas perhaps, but not oppressed.

As far as discrimination goes, well I earn the same as my male colleagues, I get the same employment perks and entitlements so I don't feel discriminated against in the workplace either.

In the western world? No, women are not oppressed.
    In other countries? Damn right they are! But tumblr-feminist don't care about anyone other than themselves, so you REALLY shouldn't be surfing that kind of social gathering :P.
    True feminism is ONLY good, and is something we should all strive for. Nazi-feminist/tumblerites, not so much!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by C Niva View Post
    after several weeks of arguing on social media i have yet to see any single feminist admit that theyre not oppressed. some come with empty arguments, some are so sure of their point of view they cant possibly be wrong

have i missed something? are all feminists extreme or do they have a point? are women really oppressed? personally i think feminism is absurd
    And personally I think your someone who has not bothered to look up on the dictionary definition of feminism, but as for "empty arguments", how about some well, statistics and facts instead?

- Zoe Quinn: Creates a game that some people do not like, and is accused of having sex with people to get good reviews. Now, had this been a single case? Then nothing to worry about. But there was a ton of people accusing her of that furthermore you don't see a guy being accused of this ever. If you want to make up slander for something you don't like, to avoid it being sexist, then accuse her of bribing them instead. Because the "sleeping with people" (ie. "slutshaming") is directly aimed at women and only at women.
    - Sarkeesian: Love her or hate her, just look at the youtube comments. Ignore what she's actually saying for a moment and then look to the sheer reaction of the misogynist hate that she gets. For crying out loud, if you want to be critical, then do so of the content.

Thats just inside video games. Now, lets move onto something else, language:

- The male terms are generally positive, even where referring to genitals, sure, you can be a c*ck and its negative, but you can also be cocky and it can be put in a more positive term. Other words that are simpler to demonstrate is "manly" being mainly a positive word while "girly" usually being used in a negative manner. Then there are such examples as "bitch" as a gender specific negative word (with no real parallel for male words) and really, the list is huge.

Now, this might all be too academic for you, so sure, lets more on shall we? To something more substantial? Perhaps equal pay for equal work? For example women in the US earns an average of 77% of what men do, regardless of the job. This is less pronounced in the higher educations, but even in terms of higher educated women these earn 7% less than their male counterparts of course some might claim "7% is nothing" yeah, if you lost 7% of your salary you'd be a lot more pissed, and of course some might claim that these statistics are "made up by feminists" in order to discredit them - wich does'nt really do it, because your work is judged on its content and your work is dismissed or accepted depending on the use of a proper method, not wether or not you favor women getting equal rights to men, wich I again remind you, is the dictionary definition of feminism.

Now, finally you might just then argue trying to get the dictionary definition of oppression but there you'll see that being subjected to injustice by others are a part of the definition, and wether you like it or not, women being paid less, being targetted for sexuality more and all the other things do mean that they are being oppressed.

Whats the next thing you want to deny? Evolution? Climate change? Or perhaps something simpler, like gravity? If so I suggest you try it out, but please do make sure you do it from an appropriate height I have no wish that you die for your beliefs, i'll settle with you getting a sprained ankle and the realization that you where wrong, and gods forbid, the "balls" to admit you were mistaken (see? Another gender related word thats positive when used in the masculine sense).

Remember: Just because you cannot see it, does not make it false.

Yours sincerly
    Ruerl

p.s.
    I apologize for providing, you know, facts to an internet based discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightspear View Post
    Claiming women aren't oppressed is about as stupid as saying there is no white oppression.

It's fairly obvious women and men don't earn the same for the same job. It's fairly obvious women aren't being represented equally in positions of power.

Of cause if all you do is watch fox news, you wouldn't know better.
    It did not take long for the wage gap myth to show up.

Things across the board are much more even than ever before, doesn't mean we don't have room to improve. Unfortunately, we do still end up with things like the Ray Rice thing and gets completely blow out of proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruerl View Post

*snip*

Your facts are just your anecdotes and links from a feminist website.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Everyone wants to be a victim today.

For some reason, in the developed world, self-victimization seems to be the way to seek social validation.

I'm a victim because I'm female, cry the radfems.

I'm a victim because I'm male, cry the MRAs.

I'm a victim because I'm white, cry the ...well...crazies.

I'm a victim because I'm not white, cry the minorities (even though there are more valid issues there than the other camps have)

I'm a victim because I'm gay/trans/otherkin/whatever, cry all the gays, trans, otherkins, and whatevers.

Everyone cries about their victimhood.
    I'm a victim because I have to deal with all of their constant whining.

- - - Updated - - -

And personally I think your someone who has not bothered to look up on the dictionary definition of feminism, but as for "empty arguments", how about some well, statistics and facts instead?

- Zoe Quinn: Creates a game that some people do not like, and is accused of having sex with people to get good reviews. Now, had this been a single case? Then nothing to worry about. But there was a ton of people accusing her of that furthermore you don't see a guy being accused of this ever. If you want to make up slander for something you don't like, to avoid it being sexist, then accuse her of bribing them instead. Because the "sleeping with people" (ie. "slutshaming") is directly aimed at women and only at women.
    Because men don't need to sleep with women to earn status. huehuehue
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe123 View Post
    If somebody thinks Zoe quinn and that other feminist 'gamer' are oppressed, then its hard to take them seriously.

Deleted
    Depends on country. Are women still oppressed in... Sweden? No, not really. Are they oppressed in... India? Hell yes! The issue is that many modern feminist organization focus solely on 1st world countries, where, while men and women are not 100% equal, they are still very close, so they end up nitpicking some stupid details that are non-issues. If these feminist organizations would focus their efforts in countries where women truly are oppressed, it would be really good, and it might actually help those countries too. Yet most do not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Depends on country. Are women still oppressed in... Sweden? No, not really.
    With the way things are going it might happen again.

I doubt you're open to changing your viewpoint, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take a shot:

Yes women are oppressed in most of the world.

Sex slavery is more prevalent now than ever before in human history, men are sold as well but much more marginal as it's usually men buying other men.

In forward thinking countries oppression takes more subtle forms, and also victimizes men. Most people are blatantly sexist based on arbitrary, self perpetuating, cultural indoctrination.

Most parents, when asked, are uncomfortable with male childcare providers. Fathers who take time off of their careers to take care of their children are also looked down upon, just some of many examples of sexism that goes both ways. Reasonable people label themselves as feminists, as well as egalitarian because when looking at humanity globally, women are horribly oppressed.

I ask that you please consider what I've said, and that you don't only look at the loudest, and most extremest people when you judge a group.

Deleted
    Yes and Yes.

It just depends on how transparent you view the oppression (And obviously how visible it is), in a nation much like SA it's extremely prevalent and indoctrinated within their cultural, religious and societal beliefs.

In a nation such as the U.K it's more nefarious in its approachment of it, things such as slut shaming, anti-abortion pickets, lack of representation amongst certain workforces so on so forth.

Much like women are also oppressed, to varying degrees in varying areas, men also face it; But much as a resultant backlash of the action perpetrated by them, often unknowingly due to not being in a frame of mind enough to care or to examine why.

For an example, i once was of the mind a girl who slept with lots of men was a complete whore i'd never consider being friends with, when taken away form the circle of friends i was able to examine why i thought that, and simply said it was due to me parroting beliefs i didn't identify or really support i was more being a sycophant to keep within said circle of friends.

Maybe an off-topic tangent, but hey, i'm drinking coffee.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    It did not take long for the wage gap myth to show up.
    Statistics has been given and research has been provided.

You've provided thin air claims to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe123 View Post
    Actually its research, deal with the research, not wether or not you think that its from a feminist website (also, I found the links via a forbes article, wich can't really be claimed to be feminist).

But I suppose its much easier to make an ad hominem in order to justify your arguments than to actually deal with facts.

Now the facts I provided was concerning the US, i'm fairly certain its very different depending on what country you live in and in some countries the issue is somewhat different, for example as one danish academic (who happened to be a feminist) pointed out: The fact that the danish goverment demands that you have to hire X percent women is sexist and harms the goal wich should be equality, ie. by forcing companies to hire women over men, regardless of competence, it hurt equality and as such, in the long term, hurt the goals of feminism (wich is equality, not misandry).

Not that many here are likely to care because many here thinks that feminism = misandry. But then, many here have around the same quality of posting as you find on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, starting out with saying you spent weeks on social media arguing about this makes you sound extremely immature. I'm not really sure what you were expecting. Anyway, to answer your question, it depends.

In the united states? No, women aren't even remotely oppressed. In fact in a lot of areas women have superior rights to men now. They supposedly make less on average, but generally are treated better by the law for most offenses, aren't affected by selective service, more rights when it comes to children, etc.

If we're talking about lesser, undeveloped nations in Africa or the middle east, then yes women are very, very oppressed along with many other groups of people.

Asking if women are oppressed in general is a silly question because it's not as if everywhere in the world is the same. I think feminism is pretty absurd here in the states because it's completely pointless to be an activist trying to gain rights for a group of people who aren't lacking any rights. You seem to think it's absurd because you spent a lot of time arguing with girls on tumblr and whining about them disagreeing with you on videogame forums. I would recommend in the future to use common sense and do research instead of trying to get random strangers to reaffirm your insecure beliefs whenever you get your feelings hurt by people who disagree with you on the internet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    I didn't say human trafficking is a small problem. You may have misread what I actually said.

Also, yes you're right regarding women in other countries. I just don't see feminist groups actually fixing any of that in any tangible way.
    Well....there was that 'code pink' group who decided to try to actually do something, they went to egypt in the middle of the riots to bring equality to women there.
    Long story short, it FAILED SO HARD. because the woman there had ZERO interest in western ideals.
    In fact it failed SO miserably the code pink ladies had to be rescued by western male workers.
    I won't mince words. In the west, feminisim is NOT for equality, those who claim it is, are liars and fools.
    If it was about equality, it would be called EQUALITY, not FEMINIST.
    Don't bother arguing it with me, I don't give a flying toss how foamy you're probably getting right now.
    If it's about equality, rebrand it and call it EQUALITY, otherwise fuck off with it.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I doubt you're open to changing your viewpoint, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take a shot:

Yes women are oppressed in most of the world.

Sex slavery is more prevalent now than ever before in human history, men are sold as well but much more marginal as it's usually men buying other men.

In forward thinking countries oppression takes more subtle forms, and also victimizes men. Most people are blatantly sexist based on arbitrary, self perpetuating, cultural indoctrination.

Most parents, when asked, are uncomfortable with male childcare providers. Fathers who take time off of their careers to take care of their children are also looked down upon, just some of many examples of sexism that goes both ways. Reasonable people label themselves as feminists, as well as egalitarian because when looking at humanity globally, women are horribly oppressed.

I ask that you please consider what I've said, and that you don't only look at the loudest, and most extremest people when you judge a group.
    I find this a very good point your making in fact and that it underlines the issue a lot, I think the reason why is likely lost on many here however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Statistics has been given and research has been provided.

You've provided thin air claims to the contrary.
    If you make a claim, you're supposed to proof it.

But go ahead, show me a company that pays less to a woman per hour for the same job, for somebody with the same experience and the same level of eduction.

As a general rule, I don't think referring to large demographic groups in first world countries as "oppressed" is particularly fruitful. In much of the world though, yes, women are oppressed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    You seem to think it's absurd because you spent a lot of time arguing with girls on tumblr and whining about them disagreeing with you on videogame forums.
    Because women speaking about how they experience their daily lives clearly invalidates them, because you know, they are women. Thus less sensible, do some research instead. Hurr. Hurr. Hurr. Be a rational guy. Hurr. Hurr. Hurr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Many women are still oppressed in different parts of the world.
    Many people, of both genders, are still oppressed in different parts of the world.