Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[Anime] Sailor Moon Crystal

Hello,

today the first Episode of the new Sailor Moon Anime aired and I loved every second of it. Check out this epic OP:

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to get home and watch it
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Deleted
    It's kinda fascinating. They managed to keep the nostalgic feel but also made it completely new and fresh. It is not als childish as it used to be.

The only thing I didn't care for much was the stupid cgi transformation. I still enjoyed it though, so much nostalgia.

Deleted
    Yeah the transformation was kinda meh, but the rest, wow.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched it, so glad the art was more to the manga, very beautiful. just CGI transformation like you said was a bit iffy.

Remember growing up with Sailor Moon, me and my sister would always watch it! <3

Ooooooooh goly~
    | [ My Twitch ] |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    It's kinda fascinating. They managed to keep the nostalgic feel but also made it completely new and fresh. It is not als childish as it used to be.
    It actually never was 'childish', the english dub was just made in a very restrictive time, "Cartoons are for the kiddies don't ya know!"

I especially loved how they made Uranus and Jupiter, cousins...

Oh, and Zoicite a female... Forgot that shit for a second.
    Last edited by Primernova; 2014-07-05 at 02:07 PM.

pffft why watch subs when the dub was virtually confirmed to be coming to toonami at the last con?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Because why wait ages when you can watch it right now?
    i dont think sailor moon will take ages. toonami said the fan response to the announcement of the reboot was one of the strongest of any show for toonami.

popular show like sailor moon will get dubbed quick so to not lose any profits from impatient people
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this to be awesome if it means a new Sailor Moon beat-em-up, RPG and tournament fighter game gets made like the original series had.

I can't watch it. They are all super skinny and look way too pretty, like super pretty. "Oh look I just got out of bed and I don't need lipstick because my lips are always balmed up"
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I can't watch it. They are all super skinny and look way too pretty, like super pretty. "Oh look I just got out of bed and I don't need lipstick because my lips are always balmed up"
    >Muh real woman have curves.

It's anime, and it's Sailor Moon of all things; what the hell did you expect?

The art felt more like the classic Manga art then I remember it. Not bad. The transformation was great. Such memories with this one..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont think sailor moon will take ages. toonami said the fan response to the announcement of the reboot was one of the strongest of any show for toonami.

popular show like sailor moon will get dubbed quick so to not lose any profits from impatient people
    Well for a lot of Americans, Sailor Moon was one of the first Anime they ever saw, so the nostalgia trip is huge. Its one of those Anime that holds a special place at the center of all anime's popularity in the US, like DBZ and RoboTech.
    Edit: I would go nuts for a hot min if they translated it with the classic versions Sailor scouts people.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-07-05 at 04:19 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    pffft why watch subs when the dub was virtually confirmed to be coming to toonami at the last con?
    Why would you ever watch dubs?

I really can't watch dub anime, it just feels emotionless to me

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    >Muh real woman have curves.

It's anime, and it's Sailor Moon of all things; what the hell did you expect?
    The manga and previous anime didn't focus on such pampers. Even the plump lady from the orginal first episode and manga is gone. It's just sad
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    The manga and previous anime didn't focus on such pampers. Even the plump lady from the orginal first episode and manga is gone. It's just sad
    At least they did not increas their breast size. The classic anime was just oversexualized. They seemed skinny when I saw the first traier, but it didn't really come out as much. After all it is Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

Not too much difference.

THIN PRIVILEGE IN MUH ANIMUS . e
    Last edited by Digglett; 2014-07-05 at 07:16 PM.

I just wanted to post about Sailor Moon. I'm new to the forum but noticed this (and didn't even know the new series started airing today) and here's my personal experience with Sailor Moon that I want to share.

A few things about Sailor Moon:

1. First of all, I never watched Sailor Moon until only a year and a half ago. Before then, I barely knew anything about it (I knew about
    it but barely anything regarding episodes or story). As soon as I seen the first episodes (of the English dubbed version), I became instantly hook.

The series overall I say is "fun" (and then later once you get hooked, deeper plots with a huge cast of characters that overall I'd say are really just sweet). (Also especially in the later seasons, the focus is on all the characters. So if you're a fan of a huge cast of characters, I think Sailor Moon does a good job at focusing on all of them. I say in the third and fourth seasons of Sailor Moon, it was barely about Sailor Moon but about the other characters actually. This was something I really like as I like a series with a huge cast of characters with almost equal focus and Sailor Moon does a good job with this.)

Also it is barely about romance (there are maybe like 5 scenes out of all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon that I consider romance related - Most of the time it is about something else).

The series (especially in the first season) is more like "Fun adventures with Usagi" than Monster of the Day stuff (yes, it does use the MotD formula but 80% of the episodes, especially the early ones, just focus on the character's civilian forms rather than their Sailor Soldier forms). Each episode was like an adventure with Usagi and it was fun and it got me hooked.

I recommend watching the English dub (of the first anime) first actually.

2. I actually think watching the Japanese first (whether this or the original Sailor Moon anime) is actually a bad idea.

The English dub of Sailor Moon is really excellent (Tracey Moore's Sailor Moon is awesome). (Though the later seasons, especially with switching VAs multiple times, some people may not like as much but overall I say I love the English dub cast.)

Also IMO, I think the dub music (for the first season anyway) actually is better than the original music (which is another reason why I recommend watching the English dub of the original anime first).

3. Sailor Moon is one of the few anime where I can say you can probably get hooked easily within the first episode. This is why I recommend the English dub of the original anime of the first episode (I think it does a better job at this and I prefer the dubbed music over the original music, in the first season anyway).

Serena / Usagi is someone that's really cool and funny.

I only started watching Sailor Moon randomly about a year and a half ago and I was hooked just on the first few episodes.

The first episodes of the original Sailor Moon anime (especially the English dub) is really amazing and I have never really seen anything like it.

I watched subbed Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha (A's and StrikerS too) before, subbed Lucky Star, and random anime from Toonami (aside from Sailor Moon), DBZ, and probably a ton of other random series. So to be fair, I haven't watched as many anime as others probably (but I am sort of a general TV person and have watched many things) but Sailor Moon was really unique to me and it was fun.

It was just simple, sweet, and fun.

Again, it was more like a show about a cool and funny girl getting into silly incidents or stuff around her town.

I liked each episode as "fun school adventures with Serena / Usagi". For example, one of the episodes where Usagi / Serena fights with her friends because she wants to do a singing content alone is fun and sweet (English version episode 4).

Not to mention her slang too - "This contest is going to be totally boss, Luna !" is endearing to me.

In the English dub, Tracey Moore really does a good job and I really recommend watching the dub first actually (since I think it conveys things better). This is one of the few anime where I say you should probably watch the English dub before the sub to try to get into it.

Anyone who is interested should look for the original Sailor Moon English dubs on Youtube and then watch some of the episodes (I can say the first 4 episodes should be enough for you to decide if you like the series or not... I say if you are looking for a fun and sort of sweet and innocent show, you will definitely like it).

I think it is hard to get it through Japanse with subs (it's one of the few instances where I say the English version is probably better to watch first to try to "like it"). Although Tracey Moore only did over a dozen episodes or so, her Sailor Moon / Usagi is excellent and was what got me hook on the serise (and kept me on the series till all 200 episodes... though I had to watch subs for the last season of course but still, I loved the series as a whole).

Tracey Moore (the first English VA for Usagi / Sailor Moon) does an excellent job and really shows why the series is popular. Definitely check out episodes 1 to 4 (just 4 episodes).

Also again, the series is barely about romance. Most of the romance aspects is more just Usagi's day dreams and those are actually funny and sweet at the same time. There are like maybe 5 really romance related scenes in all 200 of episodes.

It's more about general friendships (and even then, it doesn't focus solely on a few characters either... Sailor Moon S and Super S both introduced a ton of new characters and focused on them and it was definitely fun).

Overall, I definitely say Sailor Moon is a fun and sweet series (though take note, this is from experience from the original/first anime - the series does differ a bit in the manga and is a bit darker; though for a lot of stuff the anime and manga are mostly the same, the main major difference is the fifth season where it differs a lot from the manga).

As for Sailor Moon Crystal - The designs of the characters are mostly based on the manga version (which looks a lot different from other styles). Just something to note. The first anime had more similar looks to other anime.

Anyway, to those who never watched Sailor Moon before and want to know why people like it, I hope my post helps.

It really is a sweet and fun series overall. The first season of the series you can think of "fun adventures with Usagi", the second it's a bit more serious (I didn't like Sailor Moon R much since I think other seasons did what R did better - Excecpt the anime only Doom Tree arc - that was like the first season and it was fun overall).

The third and fourth seasons (S and *Super S) of Sailor Moon are really excellent (in fact, those seasons barely focused on Sailor Moon at all - It focused on the new characters which is nice as I like series which focus on a huge variety of characters rather than only one).

*For SuperS, the second half of SuperS is good. The first half was filler with one time only characters. Also it is a lot different from the manga and has some things people were disappointed with. But still, the second half was nice and sweet and it actually made me really like Chibiusa (well I liked her already, especially from S, but this also reinforced it).

The fifth and final season I liked too (though it is a lot different from the manga)

Overall, I think the series is a lot different than you may expect it. Again, I think it is better to start with the English version than the Japanese version. Tracey Moore does an excellent job in the first episodes of Sailor Moon (dubbed version) and also the English music (especially for the first seasons) I prefer over the original version (in S, Super S, and Stars is only when I preferred the original since the series gets a lot more serious and the music fits much better than the dub).

About Sailor Moon Crystal - Since the first episode (so far - It is following the manga more closely this time so it will change in the coming episodes) is almost the same as the first episode of the original anime, I say you can go ahead (if you are new to the series and are interested) and try out the dub episodes of episodes 1-4. Again, Tracey Moore really does an excellent job (and yes, I said this a lot but again, her Sailor Moon was really what got me to love the series; it reallhy made Usagi / Sailor Moon just so fun and cool). Maybe come back to Sailor Moon Crystal later. The original anime series is still an excellent series IMO. Though there is one thing I want to mention - One major complaint (and rightfully) of the original anime series is the excessive usage of stock footage in fight scenes (which makes them more padding and filler than anything). Though this isn't really a problem until maybe around episode 20+ (but fortunately it gets better in S and Super S and beyond). So before then, I think the episodes are well worth watching, even for someone only a little interested in the series.

Edit - Of course if you already watched Sailor Moon Crystal and like it, then you should probably stick with it (since it follows more closely with the manga version). The first series is good but it does have the problem of excessive stock footage later on (again, it's only a problem in episodes 20+, and then it gets sort of resolved in Sailor Moon S and beyond, so it's not that bad but it's still something to note). With Sailor Moon Crystal, this probably won't be the case and it will be worth watching first if you already like it.
    Last edited by Zerg217; 2014-07-05 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got done watchng it, and OMG I love it. It meshes with the Manga better, although I loved the original series as well (but American sensitization back then was such BS).

I cant wait for more! and I happen to like the transformation tbh. Wasn't sure about the art style, but actually seeing it move instead of still pictures made me happy with it.