Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm perplexed by people that think the amount of weight they can bench press is the measure of human aptitude.
    Strength isn't the only difference between men and women, generally speaking. Men dominate STEM fields because they are better and more qualified.

Are women discouraged? No. I am sure that we need more people who know how to build robots. Intelligent people are in low supply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    If you want to put out a house fire, the fire isn't going to change just because you are a woman. You need to be equipped to handle it.

I am sorry that reality is sexist towards women.
    Right. That's why Jerrie Cob wasn't an astronaut, why Jean Bartik and the other programmers of ENIAC weren't present for the celebration of its inauguration, why a million other stories of womens' successes aren't told - because reality is sexist. That has to be it, because society certainly couldn't be.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

I'm perplexed by people that think the amount of weight they can bench press is the measure of human aptitude.
    Ofcourse there are outliers, as there are in any other subject, but ON AVERAGE men have 40% more upper body strength than an AVERAGE woman.

So; that makes the man ON AVERAGE more capable than the woman in a benchpress.

This has been proven time and time again, and you're being obtuse / disregarding the facts if you claim otherwise.

And yes, when we're talking about societal issues we have to look at the average, not at the personal. (Doesn't mean that there aren't goddamn amazing female firefighters).

Strength isn't the only difference between men and women, generally speaking. Men dominate STEM fields because they are better and more qualified.
    This type of circular logic was called out to me before I even posted, lol. I already posted the why; because people have this archaic notion of gender roles and use sexism and harassment to keep it from changing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    Ofcourse there are outliers, as there are in any other subject, but ON AVERAGE men have 40% more upper body strength than an AVERAGE woman.

So; that makes the man ON AVERAGE more capable than the woman in a benchpress.

This has been proven time and time again, and you're being obtuse / disregarding the facts if you claim otherwise.

And yes, when we're talking about societal issues we have to look at the average, not at the personal. (Doesn't mean that there aren't goddamn amazing female firefighters).
    "Human aptitude" was the key phrase.

hi make Epic rap battle of HISTORRRRRRYYYYYY

Konrad Duden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Duden

vs Emily Davison http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davison

like " i invented Ortography, every pupil has my book, if u dont know how to spell a word, Duden is the book you look."
    vs
    "my grave says "deeds, not words""i died jumping into king georgs horse at Epsom Darby to protest for women`s cause"

Deleted
    This type of circular logic was called out to me before I even posted, lol. I already posted the why; because people have this archaic notion of gender roles and use sexism and harassment to keep it from changing.
    Men and women are biologically different. Stop attributing the differences to socialization. It's utterly absurd.

"Human aptitude" was the key phrase.
    Men are much more qualified than women for many jobs, but all you see is sexism.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just like how if I call a woman crazy its sexist but if I call a man crazy no one says a word
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

Men and women are biologically different. Stop attributing the differences to socialization. It's utterly absurd.
    It's like he continues to babble about how strength is everything.
    Men are much more qualified than women for many jobs, but all you see is sexism.
    Is the "why is that?" question too hard to address?

I fail to see how embracing inherent differences is "sexist". People who have no concept of what they're actually capable of insist that can do things and if anyone says otherwise it's them being held back and has nothing to do with their actual abilities.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Deleted
    Man up. You wanted to be equal to men, now's your chance.

Man up. You wanted to be equal to men, now's your chance.
    Outside of gender-stereotypical rhetoric, I don't see a rational response to the why.

Deleted
    At this point, Garian is already trapped in the loop of circular logic. Stomping with his feet and repeating what he already asserted without evidence. You don't really think this will get more substantial, do you?

Deleted
    Outside of gender-stereotypical rhetoric, I don't see a rational response to the why.
    I don't see forced gender roles. I see people who are better at their jobs than others.

You'd be surprised by how successful many women are.

Deleted
    It's like he continues to babble about how strength is everything.
    You suggest that there are No jobs where Physical demands are such that only a very few Women can do said job?

I don't see forced gender roles. I see people who are better at their jobs than others.

You'd be surprised by how successful many women are.
    So why are there far less (by proportion) women in STEM, if not for gender roles? Don't say strength.

15+ Year Old Account
    So why are there far less (by proportion) women in STEM, if not for gender roles? Don't say strength.
    Do you think that it's possible that women and men are not only different physically, but mentally?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And that's why people take issues with the labels. Because they don't want to admit they fit them, when they do, for the most part.
    Or some take offence when one points out that they aren't actually said label.
    feminists claiming to be egalitarians come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Do you think that it's possible that women and men are not only different physically, but mentally?
    Oh yes, silly me. It isn't the environmental factors of upbringing, or the gender roles indoctrinated and often enforced on women, they're just intellectually inferior***.

*** = SARCASM

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, silly me. It isn't the environmental factors of upbringing, or the gender roles indoctrinated and often enforced on women, they're just intellectually inferior***.

*** = SARCASM
    Did I say inferior? Could you answer the question instead of making things up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Or some take offence when one points out that they aren't actually said label.
    feminists claiming to be egalitarians come to mind.
    I'm sure you are so familiar with the history and the claims of actual feminism that you can easily elaborate.