Garrisons + WoD Profession question

I currently have enchanting and tailoring on my druid. I was hearing about the craftable gear through the garrisons and the upgradable enchancements you can put on them. I was thinking of switching to jewel crafting for the neck piece and rings + the upgrades, so I can be as raid ready as possible. If I learn the profession through my garrison can I learn the pattern and if so can I learn the upgrades as well? If not, can't I just pick up JC and have the ability to learn the items with just level 1 JC with the new catch up system? I know that mats will be an issue, so I was considering just maxing out mining before the expansion, and drop enchanting or tailoring. Thoughts and input would be appreciated. Thanks. Also, I am I just over complicating things?

10+ Year Old Account
    *sigh* people should really learn how to use the search function

Here's the deal:

Profession = ALL the craftables

Garrison Profesison Building = 80% of initial WoD craftables

Upgrades/Best Weapon Enchants/Best Elixirs all require the Profession, the garrison profession building won't give it to you.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

so if I wanted JC to craft necks and rings then it would be best to level up mining now along with jewel crafting?

If you are actually serious about wanting to be "as raid ready as possible" you really need to read about garrisons and crafting first, so that you can plan ahead. It's not as simple as just "making the neck piece and rings and the upgrades". As the poster above me notes, use the search function here and on the Blizzard forums. There's tons of information available.

Technically, it is as simple a just making them as long as you have the mats and profession or know someone with the profession. You can learn JC @ level 100 and with level 1 skill you can craft all the epic quality necks and rings plus the item upgrades. So to answer my own question, yes, it's best to have JC+mining if one intends on crafting the JC necks/rings/item upgraes. You get a boost from nodes from actually having mining which means more materials, which means you can sell the extra mats that you have, and you can purchase on the AH what you don't have or can't obtain with just JC and mining.

Deleted
    You really need to read up on garrisons if you want to be raid ready. It is very difficult to conclude which garrison buildings will be best, especially since it will vary depending on your skill level and time investment. Furthermore, there are so many "mandatory" garrison buildings that you can't get all of them.

Short rundown: It will take 31 days for you to unlock epic items + both upgrade items (Ilvl: Dungeon->LFR->Normal). This is because you buy recipes with a daily cooldown thingie, and both upgrades cost 15 tokens, can't exactly remember what the additional token is for (Probably base item recipe). This requires the garrison building + the relevant profession. Also pretty sure that you need at least 600 in the profession to use it, so relying on the catchup mechanic might put you at a disadvantage.

Secondly, you need savage blood to craft the epics. 15 for each upgrade iirc, and savage blood is obtained from the Barn medium garrison building (Lvl 3). This crafting mat is also sellable, so you can find it on auction house if you want (Probably very expensive).

Then there is the thing about follower missions. You can get items from the raid tier above your current raiding level, so that could also be the way to go. You also need garrison resources, so maybe a lumbermill or trading post is necessary. These are all medium buildings (Barn included), and you can have 2. So there are 4 medium buildings you may want, and you can only choose 2.

So yeah, go read up on the garrison buildings (Wowhead has a pretty detailed guide on all garrison buildings, I would suggest checking those out). Don't expect anyone to tell you the exact best way to do garrison buildings right now, because it is honestly very difficult to make a conclusion about that, since it very much depends on how good the garrison buildings actually are.

Edit: One thing I will suggest though. While weapons are 10 item levels below the other craftable items, they are usually also the biggest upgrade compared to other item slots. Therefore I would suggest getting the profession that allows you to craft weapons (Inscription for casters + some agi users, blacksmithing for most others, engi for hunters).

Also, my personal list of garrison buildings:

Small:
    Salvage yard - At lvl 3 it seems to grant a lot of small upgrades for various things (Follower gear, crafting mats, garrison resources).
    Crafting Prof. Building - Allows you to craft epic gear, which seems to be good. Also, not a lot of good alternatives.
    Storehouse / second prof. - Depending on how good the storehouse is, I would get it. If it proves to be bad, go for second profession (Again, no other useful alternatives).

Medium:
    Barn - Savage blood. Not much else to be said. Well, also gives useful cooking mats and cloth + leather.
    Inn - Opens up for loads of follower missions, as well as allowing you to search for specific followers. If garrison resources are of no concern, this seems to be the best choice.
    (Alt) Trading Post - Apparently there is a way to visit other people's garrisons. If this includes your own alts, the trading post will allow you to trade crafting mats to garrison resources. This allows you to get both the Inn and the Barn, since there is no need for a lumber mill, if you can power through garrison resources with gold.

Large:
    Barracks - Follower missions that grant boosted exp. Quickly allows you to get followers at max level and quality, which enables you to do the missions that reward raid tier items. Seems to be a solid choice. Also, you can get followers with the bodyguard trait, which means they follow you around in draenor as bodyguards. They are pretty strong according to beta players.
    War Mill / Dwarven bunker - Chance for better quest rewards, which could be helpful in the early stages of the expansion. Allows you to use garrison resources for follower item upgrades, which in turn means doing the raid tier missions earlier. Lastly, gives you a free bonus roll token each week, which is nice for any raider.

I'm not 100% certain this will be the best setup, but I'm going for it myself. Feel free to add any input about it.
    Last edited by mmoc738030ea5a; 2014-10-21 at 03:32 PM.