Thread: Night Terrors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yes I get them quite a bit since I lost my dad at a young age. Funny you mention being suffocated because during the dream I can feel myself stop breathing and can't do anything to move or breathe until I burst out of my sleep gasping for breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Just about everyone will have a nightmare which is what you have been experiencing. Most of the time they mean nothing however other than your brain exercising it's imagination. Sometimes they can be the result of something you fear in real life or a desire. I would not be too concerned about them unless they are happening too often.

I do have a couple experiences with dreams in real life I find interesting however.....

One is when my wife woke me up crying in the middle of the night, she said she kept seeing her brother on a operating table and he was in trouble. Come to find out a day or 2 later, her brother who was in the Air Force had to have a emergency operation for a ruptured appendix. He came close to dying on the operating table and a later check revealed the time he was being operated on was the time my wife woke up from her nightmare.

Two is when my mother-in-law had a vivid dream which she saw a airplane with one engine on fire and a bunch of stuff flying out of the plane as it flew. She found out a few days later one of her sons was flying to a new station ( he was in the air force ), unknown to her and on the way, one of the engines caught fire and they had to lighten the plane's load by throwing luggage out as they descended to make a emergency landing.
    OMG that is so CRAZY...that is what I am talking about ...TRUE night terrors that have real life meaning .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Sorry guys it is REALLY scaring me . The things that come when I am asleep are so horrible I wish I can solve this :-( .... I don't want to think about such terrible things
    Is there any chance you are dealing with some irl problems? That you have lots of negative toughts on your mind? I've read that some people can trigger sleep paralysis just by thinking negatively. They are literally changing their worst fears into nightmares.

Guys, we do realize that there is a difference between nightmares, sleep paralysis and night terrors right? The terms are not interchangeable.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats121 View Post
    Yes, night terrors was a great episode of doctor who.

Joking aside i personally have never had a dream like you described, i have had some pretty fucking realistic nightmares but nothing like that.

I do tend to die a lot in my dreams though, i could list plenty of way i died.
    The thing is, these experiences can't be described as dreams...since you're awake when it happens. It's like a waking dream. You wake up and then it happens.
    I've had scary nightmares, but I wake up and think 'whoa, that was kinda cool'.
    Night terrors or sleep paralysis are nothing like a regular scary dream, at all.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Guys, we do realize that there is a difference between nightmares, sleep paralysis and night terrors right? The terms are not interchangeable.
    I know what you are saying and I have experienced sleep paralysis. But during phases of that, I also had some nightmares. Besides the inability to move any part of my body, I would notice some demons around. So the two can be happening at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torus View Post
    The thing is, these experiences can't be described as dreams...since you're awake when it happens. It's like a waking dream. You wake up and then it happens.
    Night terrors or sleep paralysis are nothing like a regular scary dream, at all.
    They can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    THIS ^^^
    Nightmares are normal and they are the bad dreams that you remember when you wake up. Night terrors are common among children, the kids rarely remember them but it shocks everyone seeing the child as they cry whimper and react to the dream. Sleep paralysis is not normal and to others watching the person appears fine except for their heart rate and the sudden awakening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I know what you are saying and I have experienced sleep paralysis. But during phases of that, I also had some nightmares. Besides the inability to move any part of my body, I would notice some demons around. So the two can be happening at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

They can be.
    Right, but my point was kind of veiled I guess. Night terrors are a completely different thing. They are not just really scary nightmares.

It's so damn scary ...has anyone has any success with solving night terrors ? I have tried many things but they come no matter what ...and it's so evil and horrific . I just want peace of mind because I dont mean anyone harm and I am not angry ...why do these things terrorize me :-(

It's so damn scary ...has anyone has any success with solving night terrors ? I have tried many things but they come no matter what ...and it's so evil and horrific . I just want peace of mind because I dont mean anyone harm and I am not angry ...why do these things terrorize me :-(
    Watch the documentary I linked, it explores a lot of potential causes and theories for this experience. I found it helpful, although it was scary since it hit so close to my own experiences.

Watch the documentary I linked, it explores a lot of potential causes and theories for this experience. I found it helpful, although it was scary since it hit so close to my own experiences.
    I am watching it right now and it very much hits home...

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had success with them by changing my attitude about spiritual matters and how to deal with it. But this involves a religious discussion and is not the right place to discuss such as it is not allowed on these forums. But in essence, it is a personal matter and you could investigate different approaches to the subject. Now days it is rare for me to have a nightmare and when I do, they are mild. I generally sleep very soundly and peacefully. I think the first step to conquering something is to understand why it is happening and how is the best way for you to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Question? Do any of you ever get Night Terrors ? When I say this I mean dreams so Realistic and terrifying that it scares you even as a grown adult." -OP

OP described it as a dream so that's what i went off of :P

I have had success with them by changing my attitude about spiritual matters and how to deal with it. But this involves a religious discussion and is not the right place to discuss such as it is not allowed on these forums. But in essence, it is a personal matter and you could investigate different approaches to the subject. Now days it is rare for me to have a nightmare and when I do, they are mild. I generally sleep very soundly and peacefully. I think the first step to conquering something is to understand why it is happening and how is the best way for you to deal with it.
    I just changed my attitude towards SP...
    Read about alot, some spooky, some good experiences... The biological reasoning behind it...
    Made some theories of my own...

At the end of the day yeah i think it helps extremely much to understand why it is happening.
    Dont see a reason to go into Religious discussions as its just a matter of "mind-state"...
    Wake up - cant move or breathe - panic - entities appear (thats atleast how it has happened to me all the nasty times).

changed to "Wake up - omg sleep paralysis again - see the dark entity - im like "UUH THIS TIME IMMA GET YOU" didnt really work, still had SP, still saw dark entities... But yeah i didnt fear them anymore, at all actually... Then they just started to be these weird, somewhat "fun" experiences

Reading about positive mindset - throwing postive attitude/energy out - WORKED wonders...
    First time i tried this out (well first time i actually managed to not just go "aggresive ham") it changed a entity that was strangleing me, into a
    white lucent entity that sorta just merged with me...
    First i was struggleing to get free, well couldnt move, just tried to move my limbs, you know how it is...
    But did not work... I remembered what i had read, and i sorta just tried giving it a hug, when i did that i could move my arms O.o

Without any hinderance... First time in a SP i've been able to do that. It started merging with me, changing color and "energy"... Was aggresive --> became calm.

When it was almost fully absorbed into me, i was like OMG NO I DONT WANT THIS THING INSIDE ME EEEW GET AWAY FROM ME.
    Instantly it got "seperated" from me and went on to strangle me again - i woke up 1-2 sec after.

What i took from that experience was that, these entities were projections of me, of me and my state of mind.
    Well anyhow, thats some months ago, have not had a SP since. (have had them for 13-14 years mby more).

Makes sence we wake up - cant move - cant breathe - project scary panicky feelings - our brain is filled with a drug called DMT or some crap.. I honestly to god cant remember what brain chemical causes dreams, i think its the DMT from the Pineal Gland.

Either way hoped i helped in some way or another.
    Last edited by Johnkie; 2014-10-21 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats121 View Post
    "Question? Do any of you ever get Night Terrors ? When I say this I mean dreams so Realistic and terrifying that it scares you even as a grown adult." -OP

OP described it as a dream so that's what i went off of :P
    Fair enough.

I feel it's necessary to describe these experiences as accurately as possible for those who've, thankfully, never had it happen to them.

For example, one that happened to me:
    I awoke to the sound of smashing glass, thumping and voices coming from downstairs. I quietly got out of bed and continued listening, but by the time I got the nerve to walk to the stairs to go down...all was quiet again.
    I stood there for 5 minutes, questioning my senses. I went down and looked around and found nothing out of place,
    and this had been loud! I had felt the thumps vibrate under me in bed.

I think this is what people interpret as ghosts, sometimes....but who knows what the cause is?

Deleted
    I suffer from sleep paralysis and waking nightmares, mainly the former. Its so common now I just tell myself 'meh, just sleep paralysis again' and wait it out. Try and do that; remind yourself its not real. It isn't paranormal, it doesn't have any meaning; it's just a quirk of the brain. If you can't move or talk; it's sleep paralysis and there is nothing to worry about.

Deleted
    I once had a nightmare within a nightmare within a night terror/sleep paralysis

I am not going to go into the details of the dreams but basically I had the first nightmare, then I fell asleep within the dream and woke up in another, the second nightmare was not as long as the first one but when I woke up in the night terror/paralysis it was very short. I again fell asleep in the nightmare but then I woke up in what was ultimately something else.

In the night terror/ sleep paralysis stage I was lying in my bed in the dark, and a body (I am sure it was my gran - who is alive and well btw so it was not a ghost) was pinning me down and slowly pulling me downwards into some sort of black abyss. In the dream I struggled to move my arms upwards because I knew if I moved up I would make it, I was shouting No and eventually, just before I hit the abyss I woke up with a jolt and my left arm was raised in front of me and my upper body shot up and I sort of gasped/yelled no!

I don't think it was sleep paralysis because I was not conscious of being awake (it lasted 1-2 minutes), I am sure it was a night terror because when I woke up I was gasping and physically tired. I don't know a lot about night terrors/sleep paralysis (First time I have heard about SP) but it was an experience I hope I never have again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough.

I feel it's necessary to describe these experiences as accurately as possible for those who've, thankfully, never had it happen to them.

For example, one that happened to me:
    I awoke to the sound of smashing glass, thumping and voices coming from downstairs. I quietly got out of bed and continued listening, but by the time I got the nerve to walk to the stairs to go down...all was quiet again.
    I stood there for 5 minutes, questioning my senses. I went down and looked around and found nothing out of place,
    and this had been loud! I had felt the thumps vibrate under me in bed.

I think this is what people interpret as ghosts, sometimes....but who knows what the cause is?
    Makes sense and I am sure it is what is happening in a lot of ghost stories. But there is the interesting cases where the same experiences witness by multiple people can experience with others or alone. For example seeing the exact phenomena in precisely the same detail as others did without even knowing of the experiences others had at the same location. Not implying there is no logical or natural explanation, but I also believe there is more to this world than that which can measured and dissected by science.

If you're actually having night terrors and not just nightmares you need to see a Dr. There's medication that they can give you to help with it. Keep in mind there is a difference between night mares and night terrors. This is why you need a Dr to diagnose the problem. I suggest calling a dr soon

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If you're actually having night terrors and not just nightmares you need to see a Dr. There's medication that they can give you to help with it. Keep in mind there is a difference between night mares and night terrors. This is why you need a Dr to diagnose the problem. I suggest calling a dr soon
    This...if you are having dreams that are scaring you more than normal, you aren't having night terrors. you are having really bad nightmares. Being extra scary or extra vivid doesn't make them night terrors.

Night terrors are a totally different phenomena.