Are gathering professions useless

Hello,

I have been reading about all the professions on WoD and a question came up to
    how gathering professions going to be profitable?

here is why I ask this question:
    all crafting professions have limited demand of raw mats due daily cooldown. For example, Inscribtion makes darkmoon cards, card of omens and other items, all these crafts depends on War Paints which is made with a daily CD, and it require small amount of herbs to make, plus you will get a bit amount of herbs with no herbalism profesison. Same concept is applied other on professions such as blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting, so I don't see the high demand on raw mats which will make gathering profession lose its importance.

If I got something wrong about any concept, please correct me, and if you disagree about my conclusion, then state yours
    Last edited by tikitaka; 2014-10-21 at 04:40 PM.

They aren't useless but given the hard cap on how much raw material you can use in a day, due to the CD gates, you most likely won't be able to move as much raw mats as previous expansions. That said given the Trading Post building it may be profitable to gather up materials then sell yours on the appropriate days so people with that building can convert it to Garrison Resources, if they are very active with garrisons and follwers.

It's hard to know exactly how useful they will be since everyone can get any raw material, and up to epic crafted gear regardless of professions, from the garrison itself. Gathering professions are going to be moving from providing a steady stream of materials to use in crafting to compensating for people's laziness or lack of interest in garrisons.

Same for the crafting profs as well. I'll bet that most crafters will look at the garrison list of craftables and all those recopies will be the last patterns they buy from the vendor. I know myself on my main (jc/miner) My first two purchases for patterns will be the level 2 amplifier, the lvl 1 amplifier and then I'll be buying the +50 gems. Everyone will have access to the gear patterns and the +35 gems so I doubt there will be a market for the +50 gems for a while, like half-way through the first teir simply because of the mat costs. +35s are 1 CD gem and some herbs. +50s are 50 gems, some herbs and 10 airs.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the herb garden will provide some herbs but to really crank out warpaints, you'll want to be able to produce them from both your character (daily CD) and work orders from the Inscription building. Granted the inscription building can only complete 6 work orders per day, having both the building plus the follower bonus should speed up production. The same goes for any other profession.

Leatherworking however gets a special case since they also get the barn which can convert trapped mobs into savage leather. The return on savage leather from an elite mob (requires lv 3 barn) is quite nice boost for mat production.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Yes the herb garden will provide some herbs but to really crank out warpaints, you'll want to be able to produce them from both your character (daily CD) and work orders from the Inscription building. Granted the inscription building can only complete 6 work orders per day, having both the building plus the follower bonus should speed up production. The same goes for any other profession.

Leatherworking however gets a special case since they also get the barn which can convert trapped mobs into savage leather. The return on savage leather from an elite mob (requires lv 3 barn) is quite nice boost for mat production.
    Skinning though currently is in a bad spot. If you wanted enough leather to do your cool downs you'll need to use the Barn, or kill a few hundred beasts a day (not joking check the beta forums). Herb and Mining aren't so bad, but if you planned on spending a few hours a week/day farming stuff to sell for huge profits, like previous expansions, you'll be out of luck because there is a hard cap on how many herbs the player base can use.

Before you could farm up ore, AH it and JCs would prospect it, or bar to make green rings and necks to sell themselves for profit. Now there is no need, because other than edge cases there are hardly any patterns that exist that aren't gated behind a long CD.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    They aren't useless but given the hard cap on how much raw material you can use in a day, due to the CD gates, you most likely won't be able to move as much raw mats as previous expansions. That said given the Trading Post building it may be profitable to gather up materials then sell yours on the appropriate days so people with that building can convert it to Garrison Resources, if they are very active with garrisons and follwers.

It's hard to know exactly how useful they will be since everyone can get any raw material, and up to epic crafted gear regardless of professions, from the garrison itself. Gathering professions are going to be moving from providing a steady stream of materials to use in crafting to compensating for people's laziness or lack of interest in garrisons.

Same for the crafting profs as well. I'll bet that most crafters will look at the garrison list of craftables and all those recopies will be the last patterns they buy from the vendor. I know myself on my main (jc/miner) My first two purchases for patterns will be the level 2 amplifier, the lvl 1 amplifier and then I'll be buying the +50 gems. Everyone will have access to the gear patterns and the +35 gems so I doubt there will be a market for the +50 gems for a while, like half-way through the first teir simply because of the mat costs. +35s are 1 CD gem and some herbs. +50s are 50 gems, some herbs and 10 airs.
    I agree, they might not be useless but much less profitable than previous expansions. The funny thing about trading materials for garrison resources is it's also has a daily CD. I think blizzard want to reduce the income of gathering profs because of bots. these bots have huge impact on AH because of gathering profs. if this is the case, then I'm happy.

For now, I thing crafting profs are on the save side, since each one has its perks when you have it as a main.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post

yeah work orders will need some mats but will it make it worth to sacrifice a crafting prof for a gathering one? also i can have herbalism on one of my lvl 90 alts with no need to level it and sends the mats to my main.

I think the barn is essential for anybody since it produces savage blood, the reagent required to upgrade all crafted items. Savage blood will have huge value on the AH

Thank you guys for your useful inputs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikitaka View Post
    also i can have herbalism on one of my lvl 90 alts with no need to level it and sends the mats to my main.
    Umm... so to get Draenor herbs you need to be on Draenor and the intro questline takes you to about level ~91 with your garrison up. The herb garden isn't available till lv 96. So you would be left trying to gather herbs in Draenor which without flying makes it pretty difficult in areas where you're out levelled by the mobs.

So yeah.... about gathering herbs on your alts... might not be as easy as you think.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Gathering will be a lot slower due to no flying. Don't forget that. It will balance out in the end.

Yeah i guess you're right, guys.
    I think I'm gonna keep herbalism.

Gathering professions just got a significant boost in beta because ore and herb nodes not only in the garrison, but also in the outside gameworld, now have the chance to proc a Primal Spirit, which you can trade in at a level 3 garrison for crafting reagents INCLUDING Savage Blood.

Currently it requires 50 Primal Spirits to trade for 1 Savage Blood, but the proc rate on the Spirits is pretty high (I won't try to cite percentages right now as I don't have enough of a baseline sample to generate any trustworthy numbers). If (and this is a big 'if') the proc rate stays as is when WoD goes live, I think it will be very much worth it to have a gatherer on hand.

I think it will find its niche. Yes Garrisons will be providing mats but like any raw material it will have its demands on certain days. May be a good idea to keep on an alt.

Gathering professions are profitable

If you think your garrison is going to keep turning out mats like it currently is on beta, be prepared for a very, very unpleasant surprise. The huge amount of ore and herbs you get in beta is for testing purposes. They don't want you to be mat starved while testing professions.

When we go live, you'll be getting substantially (think 75% less) fewer mats than what you're getting in beta. The few people that recognize this and are going double-gathering are going to make a mint come WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by iriecolorado View Post
    If you think your garrison is going to keep turning out mats like it currently is on beta, be prepared for a very, very unpleasant surprise. The huge amount of ore and herbs you get in beta is for testing purposes. They don't want you to be mat starved while testing professions.

When we go live, you'll be getting substantially (think 75% less) fewer mats than what you're getting in beta. The few people that recognize this and are going double-gathering are going to make a mint come WoD.
    What this one said.

The mats you can acquire in your garrison are there to give you access to a steady but low amount of mats that can add up over time. Not support your profession without worry and not flood the AH with endless mats on day one.

Deleted
    They arent useless at all if you have 10 alts beside that toons with gathering proffs will help you to get much more faster lv 3 buildings achievements connected with them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Skinning though currently is in a bad spot. If you wanted enough leather to do your cool downs you'll need to use the Barn, or kill a few hundred beasts a day (not joking check the beta forums). Herb and Mining aren't so bad, but if you planned on spending a few hours a week/day farming stuff to sell for huge profits, like previous expansions, you'll be out of luck because there is a hard cap on how many herbs the player base can use.

Before you could farm up ore, AH it and JCs would prospect it, or bar to make green rings and necks to sell themselves for profit. Now there is no need, because other than edge cases there are hardly any patterns that exist that aren't gated behind a long CD.
    Then it seems that EVERY Proff will be worse at making gold come WoD.
    I still think out of all the gold making methods at release, gathering will still be the best, right?

Right now using herb and mining to gather purely for the primal spirit drops, so you can turn them in for savage bloods, to AH them, might be the highest gold return to time invested. Depends on how many people actually try to craft epics in the expansion, and the going rate for bloods on your server.

Have a nice day.

Deleted
    Whats with skinning ?
    Will they award any spirits ?
    Im thinking of going from LW/Alch to LW/Skinning.
    Is it worth it ?