Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would it really be so bad if they merged servers entirely?

Would it honestly be that bad from a shareholder perspective? I see people from realms where my first reaction is 'that realm exists?' I just think they have too many.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lag from having 6-7 million people on the same server would be absolutely asinine.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The lag from having 6-7 million people on the same server would be absolutely asinine.
    haha I don't mean cut it down to 2 servers. I mean having maybe 10-15 servers instead of 30-40

FUCK the shareholders!! LOL jk man, it's probably not something you should worry about. i've had that reaction before as well and I personally find it kind of neat. i do think they could have swallowed their pride and just merged servers, but with CRZ and connected realms it would prob just be redundant. either way have fun this week!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, it's fine the way it is. As the game loses players, they'll just keep merging servers. I'm sure in 10+ years from now they'll be down to like 10 or less.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

They need to fix low level content so that it's designed with more than 1 player in the area in mind first
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainn View Post
    haha I don't mean cut it down to 2 servers. I mean having maybe 10-15 servers instead of 30-40
    30-40? WoW has like 120 per region right now. :P

But I think they will eventually get down to 20 or so per region via connected realms. They're just doing it veeeeeery slowly.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish there was a way on the server browser to tell what servers are connected, so that the connected realms would feel "unified", if you get what I'm saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure connected realms don't even have a shared forum on the WoW site. That's just stupid.

Would it honestly be that bad from a shareholder perspective? I see people from realms where my first reaction is 'that realm exists?' I just think they have too many.
    Ignoring the "They are merging servers. The game must be dying.". Merging servers has good and bad benefits. More people means more playing together, but also means more competition. For example, having a zone full of people all trying to do "Collect ten teeth from beast" would be a nightmare. You would hope people would group together to do these quests but they will not.

I'm with this guy if they cut it down to 4-5 servers of each type (RPPVP, RPPVE, PVE, PVP) it'll still allow for some low to medium pop servers for those players that choose to play on those servers and still allow alliance/horde over population on certain servers

ideally they'd make the 5 new RPPVP servers then allow all RPPVP/PVP servers to xfer to any of the 5 servers for free and do that with each server type, of course these new servers would be new hardware and high end hardware to manage any of the lag and what not

This will still allow CRZ in some zones still have mutiple servers and have few servers being super high pop

There are definitely too many unique server names.

Connected realms are, for all intents and purposes, completely merged.

Keeping the realm tags allows Blizzard to save face, makes it possible for everyone to keep their character names and allows us to get around the character per server limit.

It *would* be nice if they added names for the realm groupings and a section for those names on the realm select screen tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with merging is people lose their names, some they've had for years and they can lose their guild - again, a guild that has been a staple of a server for a long time. That's the primary reason I think Blizzard avoids just merging them.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Yeah this would be the main downside. That's why they use Connected Realms and Cross-Realm Zones instead. Keeps the lag segregated to a degree.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

No holy fuck no until they fix questing and turn off shitty CRZ they shouldn't throw more wood on an already blazing fire.

The connected realms are basically merges.... so they are already working on it.

yes because blizzard would have a hard time doing it and we'd suffer for it. It's something they would have to do on wow 2.0 or something. just crz was difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shareholders in Activision don't spend a lot of time thinking about the number of realms that Blizzard has up for World of Warcraft. Really, they don't.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that realms are largely virtual these days anyway and that connected realms are more connected/merged databases than anything else. I'll be the first to say that I don't know anything one way or another but with the sort of tricks they can play with their network I suspect the days of one realm = one blade server are long gone.

Connected realms are good things and they're going slowly enough at it that it's barely noticeable as a population merge. They don't make their subscription numbers a secret. If someone doesn't notice that subscriptions are down until they see connected realms they haven't been paying any attention.

There's this though: if at some time in the future, they decide to pull the trigger on 1-90 as B2P or F2P, they'll need their realms. Blizz plans ahead. Never forget that.

If I won a day at Blizzard where I could spend any amount of time with anyone and ask any question I wanted to I might put half of that talking to their network people and getting a feel for their actual network infrastructure.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-10-21 at 06:01 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing, it would completely break the name/mail system. Without having only one name available per server mail breaks. The no flying outcry would pale in comparison to people having played for 10 years with a character name being forced to change it.

I think the quality of life for some smaller population servers should be taken into consideration and continue to be merge via coalescing realms, but I'm on Stormrage and I can't imagine us being merged with anyone at all. T_T Ditto for realms like Area 52 that are locked sometimes during peak times on weekends.