Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I do not think Arena.net have ever claimed the endgame is about cosmetics. Nor do I think Arena.net have ever defined an endgame in any of the five Guild Wars games- as none have an endgame.

A Google search returns no results of Arena.net defining an endgame in Guild Wars 2 on cosmetics. All refernces I found to endgame and cosmetics were player commentary.

Shitty move!

So glad wow is sub based!
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I do not think Arena.net have ever claimed the endgame is about cosmetics. Nor do I think Arena.net have ever defined an endgame in any of the five Guild Wars games- as none have an endgame.

A Google search returns no results of Arena.net defining an endgame in Guild Wars 2 on cosmetics. All refernces I found to endgame and cosmetics were player commentary.
    Well the only thing to do in end-game (mostly, after map completion and 1 hour living story every so often) is cosmetics. Legendary weapons, armour, everything, all cosmetics. And most of the armour, like 90%, is added through the gem store, at prices which make you use gold for gems (eg something costs 900 gems, you need 100 more after buying 800) which you can not do anymore. Hence the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    Shitty move!

what does wow have to do with this?

Deleted
    Slightly concerning piece about gold>gem prices being manipulated (from reddit):

"That's quite honestly the least of the problems. There's extremely powerful evidence that they're manually setting gold -> gem prices in order to discourage that, which I said in a couple other threads. Namely as a tl;dr:
    22% increase in gem prices which occurred instantaneously with the patch (this is a greater magnitude spike than every holiday event to hit the game, and it took effect over a period of just a few minutes as the patch rolled out).
    Gem price history pulled from the game UI.
    Market API call to query gem price disabled coinciding with the patch and gem price spike. This means players cannot reconstruct their own gem price history, making fluctuations nearly impossible to observe without scraping the black lion UI (and even then, that data is not refreshed continuously).
    What they're doing now is not forgiveable. Using new players as a scapegoat for this change is one thing. The nature of the change and the cloak-and-dagger they're pulling to cover up artificial inflation is a whole other beast, and foreshadows a really shitty future for the game.
    Someone on the forums was apparently running an independent tracker on gem price over the patch period and this is what it showed: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net...gemhistory.jpg
    Nothing like that has ever happened. You can tell it's artificial because
    (1) patch anticipation causes more up-front buying of gems to anticipate a price rise rather than a sudden spike on the exact minute of the patch and
    (2) there would be many smaller dips during the spike as people cash their gems in for gold before the price normalizes, rather than one giant dump after the spike. Assuming this tracker is genuine, everything about that curve is artificial."

"Market API call to query gem price disabled coinciding with the patch and gem price spike. This means players cannot reconstruct their own gem price history, making fluctuations nearly impossible to observe without scraping the black lion UI (and even then, that data is not refreshed continuously)."

not true, the API got updated a while back and spidy runs/ned the old one while a-net dropped it, other sites using the new API still are up.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    Shitty move!

Yes, because being forced (if playing) to pay (sub) is so much nicer than having the option to pay for cash shop items (which obviously don't exist for sub games... /sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Yes, because being forced (if playing) to pay (sub) is so much nicer than having the option to pay for cash shop items (which obviously don't exist for sub games... /sarcasm)
    No but it's better than being forced to pay extra for the only new armour sets released in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by raguun View Post
    No but it's better than being forced to pay extra for the only new armour sets released in the game.
    Because of course you can't play the game without new armor, nor can you get that armor without spending a penny...

10+ Year Old Account
    They added new armorsets last month, the Glorious armor. I know because I've earned a few pieces
    You cannot get Glorious armor through the gem store or with gold anywhere, you must play the game to get these sets.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    you must play the game to get these sets.
    Or join a farm map where all you do is run in get 10 points and boost to 500 score...
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Or join a farm map where all you do is run in get 10 points and boost to 500 score...
    Which still isn't money-grubbing (not that you said it was, just for emphasis)

Deleted
    Nobody forces you to pay anything.

Been a long time since we had a game v. game argument in GW2 sub forum. But I could feel this brewing as soon as the topic was posted. That said;

1. Stay on topic: Changes to the GW2 gold to gem conversion methodology.
    2. This is not a topic about World of Warcraft or anyone's dismay/satisfaction with World of Warcraft.
    3. Stay civil. Trading insults is not acceptable under any circumstance.
    4. Respect the right others have to their opinion.

Don't make me italicize this post.

-- Fencers

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Shitty move!

There will always be those under the delusion that because they pay a sub they get "all" the content for the sub fee... when in fact many subs games require that sub in addition to having a cash shop for those pretty, pretty mounts you can't get in game.

As far as the hub, bub of the gem thing goes. I pretty much always buy gems with cash so doesn't effect me at all. However I do think it was a dumb / short sited move to create artificial price points for gold to gems. I don't really see the reason or benefit of it beyond them hoping to make more money out of it. In the end a few more shiny whoozits on the gem store would probably of turned out better for them than this.

Well the only thing to do in end-game (mostly, after map completion and 1 hour living story every so often) is cosmetics.
    This is false.

Cosmetic items are not gameplay. The effort to acquire them is a personal decision in game.

And most of the armor, like 90%, is added through the gem store, at prices which make you use gold for gems (eg something costs 900 gems, you need 100 more after buying 800) which you can not do anymore.
    They are not necessary to play the game. The desire to own cosmetic armor sets is self created.

Basically ANet wants more of your money and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Yeah, and it's so terrible, you poor little things.

I think you guys really need to stop expecting game developers to love you and hold you dearly to their hearts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know anything about this, I only run Solo and Team Q. They should probably disable earning rank points from Custom Arena altogether, I can hear the howls now! Point is the Glorious armor can only be earned in game, it is in no way a gemstore item (to the guy who said they only add new armor sets as gem store items).

"Market API call to query gem price disabled coinciding with the patch and gem price spike. This means players cannot reconstruct their own gem price history, making fluctuations nearly impossible to observe without scraping the black lion UI (and even then, that data is not refreshed continuously)."

not true, the API got updated a while back and spidy runs/ned the old one while a-net dropped it, other sites using the new API still are up.
    For some reason Spidy always runs a couple weeks late in adding new database items or new API to its site. Don't know why unless he is manually plugging it in, gw2tp.com always has it instantly.
    Valar morghulis

I don't think armor sets have been added even to the gem store in a while, it has been outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
    I actually prefer monthly sub instead.
    I am totally against a monthly sub. I have always felt pressured to play when I pay a sub. I don't like the over emphasis on the cash shop either. IMHO, there needs to be a balance. I am happy to pay for an expansion. I would actually prefer to pay for an expansion rather than have the cash shop drive everything. They could even let people buy the expansion with gems. The drips and drabs we have been getting of late is not great.

I don't think the change is that severe but I don't like it either. It's annoying. I often used to swap some gold for gems to build up a store of gems. I won't be able to do that now.