Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Plans for WoD crafted epics

What are your plans for the crafted epics in Warlords? They seem to have made it difficult to craft the fully upgraded ones in time for raids opening.

Each epic requires:
    450 profession cooldown items (BoP, needs 100 for base item, 150 for 1st upgrade, 200 for 2nd upgrade)
    30 Savage Blood from Barn (BoE)
    60-80 Sorcerous Elements (BoE)

For the BoP profession cooldown items you can craft:
    4 per day from profession cooldown increasing with skill. 10 per day at 700 skill
    6 per day from work orders. 12 with a lvl 100 follower
    1 per 10 Primal Spirits farmed. ??? per day

You'll probably average 10 per day early on, increasing to ~17+ as you get a few skill points and a lvl 100 follower. Overall you can get about 300 in time for Highmaul opening without considering Primal Spirits. That means you need divide the crafting among multiple characters or do a crap load of grinding for Spirits. You could divide crafting like this:

Characters 1-3 make a tier2 upgrade and tier1 upgrade each (350 BoP items per character)
    Character 4 makes 3 base epics (300 BoP items)

Supplement with Primal Spirits if you can't get to 350 items on any given character. Alternatively use 5 characters and you won't need Spirits. If you craft items from multiple professions, you can have one character count as two for crafting purposes.

That'll get you one raiding character outfitted with 3 items. Note that lvl 92 crafting alts won't have access to lvl 100 followers, and will have less output.

Savage Blood requires Primal Spirits or a lvl 3 barn, which requires 125 Barn work orders to build. The achievement is account bound (for now) so you can get the lvl 3 barn achievement very quickly by using low level alts with barns. Sorcerous elements are created through garrison work orders and profession cooldowns, and can be bought from the AH as well.

Are you going to have your raiders level multiple crafting alts, pay heavily for outside crafting, or maybe just not bother at all?

EDIT: In a recent patch it has become possible to buy extra BoP items with 10 Primal Spirits each. Primal Spirits can be found through gathering and killing mobs. It remains to be seen how much extra it is realistically possible to get from spirits. Also cloaks are intended to be included in the 3 limit, so you can only use 3 crafted items instead of 4. Things are still changing in the beta, so this information may not be accurate at launch.
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2014-11-02 at 11:00 AM.

With the level 3 barn now requiring 3 weeks' worth of work orders to unlock as of the latest build, Savage Blood is now the "real limit", and it seems it's no longer possible to get any upgraded ones in time for Highmaul!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    With the level 3 barn now requiring 3 weeks' worth of work orders to unlock as of the latest build, Savage Blood is now the "real limit", and it seems it's no longer possible to get any upgraded ones in time for Highmaul!
    Achievement progress is still accountwide unless they've changed it recently. The achievement only requires you to place work orders, not complete them.

6 characters with a barn each could place 125 work orders in less than 3 days. 84 work orders on the 1st day, 24 on the 2nd and 3rd.

It's insanely grindy to craft fully upgraded epics in time for raiding, but still possible as far as I can see. I doubt most people will bother. I don't think I will, but I won't be surprised if someone will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    Achievement progress is still accountwide unless they've changed it recently. The achievement only requires you to place work orders, not complete them.

6 characters with a barn each could place 125 work orders in less than 3 days. 84 work orders on the 1st day, 24 on the 2nd and 3rd.

It's insanely grindy to craft fully upgraded epics in time for raiding, but still possible as far as I can see. I doubt most people will bother. I don't think I will, but I won't be surprised if someone will.
    I can only imagine they'll nip that account-wide loophole in the bud, if only for the first few months of Highmaul.

My assumption is based off their past habits though, so perhaps I'm wrong and they're actually wanting to cater to their true hardcore players more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    My assumption is based off their past habits though, so perhaps I'm wrong and they're actually wanting to cater to their true hardcore players more.
    Here's the bottom line. No min/max raider should be "forced" into x choices period. It's why combat bonuses were removed and it's also why changes are being made so that you can't easily get crafted epics out before Highmaul unless you go to some pretty crazy extremes. A quick look at the number of mats required to the new changes to achievements necessary to unlock lv 3 plans, show that gearing without raiding is going to be less effective and a lot slower than finding groups to actually raid in.

Furthermore, the hard limit of 3 crafted items shows that Blizzard really wants raiders to NOT rely on crafted items except to round out the last few pieces of gear.

Can money be made here? Absolutely if you want to dedicate the time and resources necessary to pursue them.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to use crafted gear to get ready for raiding. Its not at all worth the time and resources invested into it, doing so would require quite an effort among various alts which would result in forgoing a lot of gold to be made with those same resources.

Blizzard has clearly made it so that crafted gear is not needed nor encouraged for gearing up for raiding, which is fine with me. If I have bad luck with a specific slot for a little while and crafted gear can fill that need and is available then I'll just buy it from someone. But I'm definitely not going to waste resources on something I will likely not need.

If the account-wide thing gets removed then I'm not bothering with the Garrison for crafted epics. We'll have two lockouts of Normal and Heroic to run by the time Mythic is available so there's a chance I may not even need crafted gear.

Deleted
    why bother.

level 100 MC LFR gives you like a 650 helmet, 3x world bosses drop 650/665 gear and you have 3 lockouts(+3 tokens.. if you really think it's worth it) to use it, prolly also get a 650 item from apexis fragments.

You can also do yolo 2v2 and get one major part 660 item per week or 2x smaller item on the very first day of highmaul, hell, the pvp trinkets are mainstat passive + mainstat proc/use, they are frickin good.

highmaul normal will be as brainlessly easy as flex org and you can get some 655 gear before doing HC/mythic. You'd probably be item level 650 before you even step foot on HC.

I plan on selling whatever I get for a lot of gold. Doing the CM daily every day should be sufficient for my purposes. Plus we'll have both heroic and normal week 1 to get ready for mythic week 2, as opposed to just normal in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    why bother.

level 100 MC LFR gives you like a 650 helmet, 3x world bosses drop 650/665 gear and you have 3 lockouts(+3 tokens.. if you really think it's worth it) to use it, prolly also get a 650 item from apexis fragments.

You can also do yolo 2v2 and get one major part 660 item per week or 2x smaller item on the very first day of highmaul, hell, the pvp trinkets are mainstat passive + mainstat proc/use, they are frickin good.

highmaul normal will be as brainlessly easy as flex org and you can get some 655 gear before doing HC/mythic. You'd probably be item level 650 before you even step foot on HC.
    More gear for progress is always good. There's guilds who aims to clear full mythic highmaul before the next instance is released, just like we did MSV before HoF. Any little bit helps.

IMO spend most of your reserves you saved up at the start of WoD gold wise. If you dont spend your gold at the start of the expansion, when on earth are you going to spend it? Buy expensive enchants, buy expensive gear, and once you're halfway into mythic you have months ahead of you to save up some gold again.

Trying to whore gold at the start of an expension defeats the whole purpose of having a gold reserve in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weapons>Trinkets>Off hands>Non set piece items

Deleted
    I'm a raider, so I'll spend all my gold (~1M) to crafted gear, I have the rest of the expansion to get gold again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    I'm a raider, so I'll spend all my gold (~1M) to crafted gear, I have the rest of the expansion to get gold again.
    You won't. All crafted gear has unique-equipped(3), so you won't be able to equip more than 3 crafted items.

Before someone starts complaining about not being able to equip more than 3 items consider this: before WoD there were no more than 3-4 pieces of crafted gear per tier anyway, the difference is now you have a choice of what to equip instead of using same pieces everyone else uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    You won't. All crafted gear has unique-equipped(3), so you won't be able to equip more than 3 crafted items.

Before someone starts complaining about not being able to equip more than 3 items consider this: before WoD there were no more than 3-4 pieces of crafted gear per tier anyway, the difference is now you have a choice of what to equip instead of using same pieces everyone else uses.
    I woudnt be suprised if 1 fully upgraded item (Ilvl 565) sells for ~200k on the ah before the first raid opens. So it woudnt be too hard to spend 1 million on 3 items+best consumables+best enchants in the first progression tier of WoD.

1 million really isnt that much these days. In my rather casual guild plenty of its members are millionaires. Top end guilds sold boosts for 200-300k each for over half a year now, each member should easily be able to spend a million on gear with that cash. With all these gold reserves prices will be high in WoD im sure! People that want to spend the effort doing garrisons/professions on 4-5 alts will certainly gain a LOT of gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    And most raiders have similar amount of gold anyway, from simply raiding. No point in hoarding it when earning that amount is going to be even easier in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post

I wouldn't mind if the crafted gear limit increases over time so as to keep the value of crafted goods in some demand throughout the expansion. Maybe an extra piece per month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the crafted gear limit increases over time so as to keep the value of crafted goods in some demand throughout the expansion. Maybe an extra piece per month.
    Seems like a foolish plan. First off, as time pass, raiders will have started farming raids so the necessity for more crafted item drops when compared to tier armor / trinkets from raids.

Second, crafted goods have traditionally seen a boost only after the major content patch (i.e. 5.2 with Thunderforged crafted BC-like weapons as an example). So it's not a monthly process but more like a periodic length that's typically several months in-between.

Third, crafted goods (at least the good ones) usually have some sort of CD mechanism to prevent the market from being flooded. This has again been traditionally a 30 day cycle (if not longer). Thus it would be really crappy to make something on the 30th day only for a new shiny craftable to be available on the 31st day with another 30 day cycle worth of CD.

The value of crafted goods usually sees it's first peak at 29/30 days as the first set of CDs have finished. In WoD, I think you'll get bigger margins with Savage Blood over the item upgrades because there's a higher demand for Savage Blood (used for all upgrade item recipes) vs item upgrade X (which is only good for X and not for Y).
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    why bother.

^ /endthread

Seriously, unless you're not doing at LEAST Normal/Heroic raiding, there's almost no point to the crafted epics since it will require an astronomical amount of materials and time, and those mats (and time!) could be used elsewhere. I plan to completely ignore crafted gear because I have no need for it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    ^ /endthread

Seriously, unless you're not doing at LEAST Normal/Heroic raiding, there's almost no point to the crafted epics since it will require an astronomical amount of materials and time, and those mats (and time!) could be used elsewhere. I plan to completely ignore crafted gear because I have no need for it.
    I'd love to know where my time could be spent instead that would benefit me raiding. And before you say "just raid more hours", that's not an option. That leaves improving my character in any way possible to prepare for the next raid instead. Pray tell, what else could I spend my time on that's "better" than getting the BoE's?