Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry ma'am your kid did't shoot up the school because hes a fucking mentally ill weirdo, he did it because video games and movies told him too.

It has nothing to do with the content of the games and movies and has everything to do with shitty parenting and teaching our kids to be decent humans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    May not be true. It's one of those "is it correlation or causation" things, but people who transition after puberty are more likely to be gay, people who transition before puberty (or at least, start their HRT before puberty) are more likely to be straight, which suggests that sexuality could be determined during puberty.

Edit: ALSO WHY HAS NO ONE COMMENTED ON MY POEM IN THE OP IT'S GREAT AND I SPENT AGES ON IT.
    Usually by the time puberty hits, you have developed a sexual Identity. And it's around these years that you might begin to realise that you're either gay or straight. But I don't believe it's an informed decision you make to take either (or both) paths. I'm pretty certain that your sexuality chooses you, and not the other way round.
    Saying that sexuality is determined by nurture, not nature is almost the same as saying you can change a homosexual into a heterosexual or vice versa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I forget how young some of you guys are.
    Resident evil was released 18 years ago. I'm 33 now, so I was pretty much still a kid back then too. How old are you? 45?

Meh, I watched "Rated R" since elementary. However, most rated R films in America are a complete joke. In fact I'm sure going to school should be rated higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, they are bollocks. I watched Hellraiser, Chucky and plenty other films as a kid. I've played Street Fighter, Doom, Carmageddon and more as a kid.
    And to be fair, I've had more nightmares from a kids cartoon then I had from those mentioned above.

It didn't mess me up, well, not in a bad way.

So yeah, ratings are overrated.

Asking gamers whether they agree or not with age ratings is like asking a prisioner in the death row whether they agree with death penalty.

One doesn't have to agree. The assumption is faulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ratings should be there, but the government should not be enforcing them. There shouldn't be a law that says children can't watch NC-17 movies, or that they can't buy an M game; parents should be fucking parenting.
    Putin khuliyo

I hate how the feeling in the USA is

Ultra Violent? No problem

Side boob at a awkward angle? OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Personally the way anything sexual is viewed in the United States is just plain backwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post

Personally the way anything sexual is viewed in the United States is just plain backwards.
    There's a whole lot of the stuff in the US that's just plain backwards.

As someone with kids who're now 15 & 12, ratings are useful as a rough guide. However you then need to look at why it has that rating and apply it to the child in question. For example certain violence in films bothered my son far more when he was 10, than my daughter at the same age.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2014-10-23 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post

I blame the Puritans.

Mass Effect 1 is a classic example of this, if you play FemShep or have Liara/Ash as a love interest. Spend 20+ hours gunning down aliens, robots, and alien robots? No problem! See FemShep/Liara/Ash's sideboob for half a second? Everyone loses their minds!
    Putin khuliyo

Definitely should be up to the parents. If we can provide tools for parents to make decisions we should.

Once kids grow up they can do whatever.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the ratings for the most part.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

The rating for movies / games are pretty accurate, and I would agree with almost all of them.

Although I wish World of Warcraft would be for players who are 21 years or older.

.. just imagine.... =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Sorry ma'am your kid did't shoot up the school because hes a fucking mentally ill weirdo, he did it because video games and movies told him too.

It has nothing to do with the content of the games and movies and has everything to do with shitty parenting and teaching our kids to be decent humans.
    I think it, in all banality, has to do with kids having access to guns. Kids are irrational and not capable of understanding the consequenses of their actions. I know alot of 8-year olds who would shoot a classmate if they had the opportunity. Any kid who got mad as his mom or dad would shoot a gun at them if they could because they don't know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    The rating for movies / games are pretty accurate, and I would agree with almost all of them.

Although I wish World of Warcraft would be for players who are 21 years or older.

.. just imagine.... =)
    It would actually be worse - you retain more information when you are a younger when you are interested in it.
    So here's one to the younger ones. Be it I'm only 21, but still. If you're 14-15 raiding in a serious guild - then clearly you can listen to directions, adapt, and make changes on the fly, and the amount of shit they get from "grown up" raiders is fucking ridiculous. I give our fury warrior shit all the time cause hes 16.
    If everyone started at 21, the community would be a giant of bin of "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY TO ME? IM A GROWN ASS MAN/INDEPENDENT WOMAN"
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

10+ Year Old Account
    no not always. some ratings aren't really warranted.

for example wow is rated t which is questionable since the alcoholic references aren't strong at all. it's just ale thats sold by a vendor.
    giving fps's like perfect dark an m rating because of blood........yeah because teenagers have never seen blood before.
    hell kids in cities like detroit and compton and L.A. can see someone die in the ghetto at the age of 8 in certain neighborhoods.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2014-10-23 at 02:44 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grown up watching Child's Play and playing Mortal Kombat, and I never killed anyone. All my friends were grown up the same and none of them is a murderer (as far as I know!).

I agree with you that rating by complexity would be better than rating by the explicitly of the content.

I think they're a good guideline, since most parents are clueless as shit when it comes to what their kids are doing nowadays. But it doesn't take the place of actual parenting and educating your kids on what is and isn't acceptable and how to differentiate fiction from reality. Which shouldn't be that goddamn difficult to begin with...

But it is treated so arbitrarily at times that it loses all meaning. I have to use my step mother and half brother as an example. He's like half my age, but she is a textbook definition of helicopter parent dumbshit. She uses the rating system in such a literal way that it's bordering on insanity, a rated M game says on it "17+" so in her mind, he couldn't play anything rated M until he was 17. As if there was some magical brain science that says a 16 year old kid is suddenly transformed into a perfectly mature and responsible kid the day they hit 17 and the whole world of M rated games is suddenly appropriate for them. Same shit went for PG-13 movies, I wanted to take him to see Lord of the Rings and was given a stern shit-talking to about how because he's only 11 that he isn't old enough to see it...fucking Lord of the Rings?!

TL;DR, dumb parents be dumb.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-10-23 at 04:53 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.