Deleted

Finding Classes Boring, Dull and Ultimately Unplayable

Before and since 6.0, I've tried to play my characters - but I just can't find it enjoyable. I've got all classes at level 90, but most were just leveled and dumped. The only character I find playable is my Enhancement Shaman, and believe it or not I only got this toon when the Instant 90 boost was out.

Warriors, Paladins, Mages, Druids, Rogues, Death Knights, Priests and Hunters are extremely repetitive which makes them boring and dull. Especially since 6.0 when their spells were pretty much reduced to the ground. I find myself casting the same spell over and over and that isn't fun for me.

Warlocks and Monks are some-what decent but they still have major repetitiveness and really strike no interest in me at all.

As an Enhancement shaman, I feel like the class is pretty perfect. I have a wide range of useful spells and I love the combos you can create whether it be doing crazy AoE with Fire Nova or bursting your wolfs, fire elemental and ascendance on a boss - I simply find them enjoyable.

It was okay having one toon I liked playing for a couple weeks, but after rushing through LFR, Normal and Heroic difficulties and reaching the point where I'm geared up enough to not have to re-do LFR or Normal, I get all my progress done in a day.

I'd like to find some inspiration to play another class, but I try to play them, I really do - but I just can't.

What class do you play? Do you find it fun? Are you able to play other classes without feeling limited and without feeling as if the moves are repetitive? What are your opinions on the ability pruning?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think the classes will be more fun at 100 due to the massive improvements your abilities get along the way.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

I play mage, and I love it as well as other classes before 6.0 and after 6.0.

You said you don't find classes enjoyable before and after 6.0, sounds like your are tired of the gameplay, and it isn't enjoyable to you anymore. Nothing can really fix that unless you find it enjoyable. Like most all games, abilities etc and gameplay after a certain point are repetitive.

You shouldn't have to force yourself to find inspiration, fun etc in a game. It should just be fun and entertaining because it *is* a game. If it isn't well then, IMO it isn't worth the time at all.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

I don't really play anything besides my main much because other classes don't really interest me.

I enjoy my lock is all, and when I have nothing to do on it I just find something else to do on another game or watch some shows or something.

Though locks basically haven't changed mechanically from 5.4 to 6.0, you just can't move around as much while doing it.

I'm down to 3 classes right now that are worth playing

Warrior: fury is decent, prot is still quite fun, so tanking will be the main push. Arms is forgettable
    Druid: cat is good but a bit on the gimmicky side with HT procs (that you absolutely know are going to be nerfed). Resto is still fun enough, so healing will be the focus on this one. Boomkin is a very un-interesting ranged spec, but I thought that pre 6.0 anyhow. Haven't tried bear, ever.
    Warlock: destro is still reasonably fun. Haven't tried the other specs yet, never really cared for them.

Everything else that I've tried is officially relegated to bank bitch status (or had already been that way through MoP).

Quote Originally Posted by Orgtar View Post
    Before and since 6.0, I've tried to play my characters - but I just can't find it enjoyable. I've got all classes at level 90, but most were just leveled and dumped. The only character I find playable is my Enhancement Shaman, and believe it or not I only got this toon when the Instant 90 boost was out.

Warriors, Paladins, Mages, Druids, Rogues, Death Knights, Priests and Hunters are extremely repetitive which makes them boring and dull. Especially since 6.0 when their spells were pretty much reduced to the ground. I find myself casting the same spell over and over and that isn't fun for me.

Warlocks and Monks are some-what decent but they still have major repetitiveness and really strike no interest in me at all.

As an Enhancement shaman, I feel like the class is pretty perfect. I have a wide range of useful spells and I love the combos you can create whether it be doing crazy AoE with Fire Nova or bursting your wolfs, fire elemental and ascendance on a boss - I simply find them enjoyable.

It was okay having one toon I liked playing for a couple weeks, but after rushing through LFR, Normal and Heroic difficulties and reaching the point where I'm geared up enough to not have to re-do LFR or Normal, I get all my progress done in a day.

I'd like to find some inspiration to play another class, but I try to play them, I really do - but I just can't.

What class do you play? Do you find it fun? Are you able to play other classes without feeling limited and without feeling as if the moves are repetitive? What are your opinions on the ability pruning?
    I feel your pain man, i was leveling my enhance shaman, got him around level 86 prior 6.0., but after the patch i dont want to touch nor get him to 90, because leveling is so fucking boring, the took away the all the "challenge", now you can just insta kill mobs with one flame shock is so sad. leveling and high end content are the the true hearth of a mmoRPG . I ve been thinking on even summit a petition to blizzard to increase the dificulty.

I don't find my mage unfun to play, I am just more frustrated they have seemed to nerf my solo farming abilities with no more nether tempest and arcane explosion. I am still trying to find an efficient way to tag and kill large groups of mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    My current main is my fat Pandaren Monk. Mistweaving was exactly the type of healing I was waiting for (I main-ed a Resto Shaman for ages)...I enjoy the channeled Soothing Mists with Surging Mists and Enveloping Mists going instant cast while channeling a healing spell at the same time. Idk..I just fell in-love with Mistweaver healing the moment I started playing my monk.

I don't mind the ability pruning as much as we didn't loose too much as mistweavers, imo. Zen Meditation was negligible. Although I do know many who are not too fond to the changes to Fistweaving. As I rarely ever Fist...wove? I didn't find it too much of a bother. I am most excited to the level 100 abilities we get to choose from...from Chi Explosion (for 5-mans) and Breath of the Serpent to Pool of Mists which would make Uplifts for raiding healing so much more efficient. And Mistweaver healing is visually pleasing, IMO. I haven't grown tired of it.

I mostly abandoned Resto Shaman healing because of the changes to Totems...I might give it a try again in WoD but I already have my main healer. And I am not one who enjoys having alts. Once I have a main I usually just stick to playing that main.

Enhancement is my most favorite DPS spec. I love magic but I got tired of being ranged (Arcane mage) and Enhancement brought something unique to the table mixing melee prowess with magic. And come on, Storm Strike is one of the coolest looking abilities in the game.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2014-10-23 at 08:09 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I've felt all of the classes were slowly melding together and there really wasn't much diversity. Also, the rotations for each class keep getting more and more simple, and after 6.0 they've pretty much hammered that one home. Every class I play is so easy, so basic, boring, and dull. I still play my BM hunter and Arms warrior, which have sentimental value to me. BM isn't terrible, but arms is so easy a 2 year old can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geers View Post
    I don't find my mage unfun to play, I am just more frustrated they have seemed to nerf my solo farming abilities with no more nether tempest and arcane explosion. I am still trying to find an efficient way to tag and kill large groups of mobs.
    Frost. With Improved Frost Nova, Ice Nova. Because it's targetable.

With Ice Nova, Deep Freeze, Icicles and Blizzard I can kill around 10-15 normal mobs at a time. I can kill around 5 elites at a time on Timeless. Of course that's the bottom rung elites. Emperor Elites and such, around 3 at a time, depending on the comp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Druid. I can tank, melee dps, ranged dps and heal.

Instant mounts (both ground and flight) are ftw.
    Druids are going to get a huge nerf. I'm a full Heirloomed, with the proper PvP Heirlooms, lvl 59 Warrior, gibbed in 3 seconds by Feral in blues. That is just retarded.

Any Priest right now in PvP is ungoldy. They literally faceroll, and laugh at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm down to 3 classes right now that are worth playing

Warrior: fury is decent, prot is still quite fun, so tanking will be the main push. Arms is forgettable
    Druid: cat is good but a bit on the gimmicky side with HT procs (that you absolutely know are going to be nerfed). Resto is still fun enough, so healing will be the focus on this one. Boomkin is a very un-interesting ranged spec, but I thought that pre 6.0 anyhow. Haven't tried bear, ever.
    Warlock: destro is still reasonably fun. Haven't tried the other specs yet, never really cared for them.

Everything else that I've tried is officially relegated to bank bitch status (or had already been that way through MoP).
    Looks almost like my lineup.

Warrior: I always played warriors, so they never quite go out of fashion for me. I was very worried about the removal of abilities, but somehow prot managed to pull through without major damage. I MT'ed warriors vanilla->wrath and will probably never really give up on them. So far a good bet on what will be playable in WoD. Right now my warrior is off-spec'ed to arms. But to be honest I don't really care to dps as warrior, so the less buttons the better. I only use the dps spec for blasting through old raids too, so it makes little difference. Closing comment: super exited about gladiator stance!
    Druid: My current plan for a "main" (as much as I can ever main anything - altoholic at heart). This character is new and joined my stack when I returned in MoP. I did have a backup-healer-alt druid at lvl60 way back, and did level quite a few to 40-70 during the years, but this was my first real stab at the class. Reason for picking it: It allows me to do tank+healer specs without playing pally (pallies never worked out for me, and I did give them plenty of chances). Guardian sort of made it through the 6.0 changes, but still feels like it has that "hybrid disadvantage" going for it - despite Blizzard killing the powershifting playing style recent years. Resto is also working out pretty well. Right now the plan is to level the druid first in WoD and see how long I can stick to it (probably not more than a couple of days at max level).
    Warlock: I made my first ever above-lvl-20 warlock a couple of months ago. I never liked pet classes, and never liked casters. I made it exclusively to try the green fire questline. By the time I completed the quest I had quite gotten to like it though. I have not played it a lot since 6.0, but destruction seems to have survived pretty well. I don't like that they removed the ability to cast spells while moving though (or rather, made it a cooldown). So purely because of that, I will most likely never play the lock more than a bit here and there.
    Death Knight: Rolled this one up at the beginning of wrath. Played it together with my warrior through wrath as co-main. I never quite got past the pigeonholing into specs for specific roles. Maybe because they swapped my wrath-time setup with blood-dps and frost-tank. Blood got hit hard by 6.0 and is pretty lame now. DW frost is more or less the same, but still primarily a cruise-chill-spec for casual play. This character is my only miner, so will probably see some play-time because of that, but otherwise it is benched.
    Shaman: This one got leveled to 90 in MoP. Elemental is alright, but it didn't win the attention competition over the others and actually didn't get much playtime in MoP. It more or less got leveled on restpoints and currently sit in a set of transmog'ed timeless stuff.

The rest have been played too little to have a real baseline for an assessment.

So to summarize: Out of my old favorites, 6.0 has killed my interest in the DK and lock. Failed to ignite my interest in the shaman (or any of my other 3rd-rank alts). But still managed to keep me motivated to play the warrior and druid. Both druid and warrior seems to be getting some interesting twists at 100, so it might work out.

Deleted
    So much QQ =)

ALL Classes are repetitive. ALL roles and specs have rotations. This is not authoring a scientific paper, or climbing a mountain, or cooking a wonderful meal. Its WoW, its a computer game. Classes had rotations way back in what so many QQers glorify as the "golden age" through nostalgia-glasses so large, were they used to collect sunlight, our energy problems would disappear.

If you don't like it: Don't play it. Its as easy as that. Just reroll, or unsub, or try playing with your keyboard turned upside down...whatever works for you.

But please, for the love of god...stop these completely useless QQs. They don't change anything, they are not valuable input to blizzard, and they don't change the fact that in "VANILLA MAAAAAN!" every single class in the entire game, was more boring to play in a raid environment, than even the simplest class is today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorzzara View Post
    So much QQ =)

ALL Classes are repetitive. ALL roles and specs have rotations. This is not authoring a scientific paper, or climbing a mountain, or cooking a wonderful meal. Its WoW, its a computer game. Classes had rotations way back in what so many QQers glorify as the "golden age" through nostalgia-glasses so large, were they used to collect sunlight, our energy problems would disappear.

If you don't like it: Don't play it. Its as easy as that. Just reroll, or unsub, or try playing with your keyboard turned upside down...whatever works for you.

But please, for the love of god...stop these completely useless QQs. They don't change anything, they are not valuable input to blizzard, and they don't change the fact that in "VANILLA MAAAAAN!" every single class in the entire game, was more boring to play in a raid environment, than even the simplest class is today.
    This reply shows how ignorant you are.

I actually found a new joy in playing multiple classes once more after patch.

I've played my main combat rogue nearly 10 years now and it still doesn't bore me. I've only played a short time as sub during Sunwell patch and recently picked it up again after the patch and it seems fun also. But still going strong as combat main. Never really cared for assassination.

Enhancement shaman has been my second love ever since i started the character and keep it following close as my second main, one might say.
    The 6.0.2 patch did alter the shaman a bit, i liked it more previously, but it's still fun to play. For priority based class it's got enough things to do, although that was one of the down sides of patch 6.0 with the shaman, it also brought some down time to the spec. Probably also gonna gear resto in WoD, now that i'm taking my warrior to pvp.

Warrior, another great toon, prot is probably the most enjoyable tank spec to play currently and i can't wait to get gladiator to get some pvp done with it.
    Also after the newest patch the more old style fury is definately the go to dps spec. Arms is boring and the down time, omg

Played quite a lot with my warlock pre-patch and destro is definitely my favorite ranged spec to play with. It didn't really go through that many changes with the patch and still the go to spec on lock. I really favor the pruned down playstyle, even though some might call it dumbed down and boring, it's just more relaxed and enjoyable to play than maintaining 15 different buffs and debuffs and cds. Affliction with multidotting isn't my cup of tea and never really played demo.

Today i took my druid out in a long time and first time in a really really long time i can say i enjoyed, really enjoyed playing feral. The quality of life changes that spec now has, awesome. Just simply put awesome. Guardian was a bit boring and currently changing and gearing it to resto, since it's one of the top healer specs in WoD.

Priest, even though some have been saying that disc isn't at it's prime, it's still fun to play. It has seen better days, WotLK anyone?!? Probably picking up holy for dual spec, since shadow just feels a bit clunky and slow right now.

Oh and paladin, ditched holy just pre patch and went prot first time ever and gotta say, my second favorite tank spec atm. It's rolls really nicely. More relying in active migitation and self heals than massive cds and just pure hp, feels good. Dualspeccing retri, but for me that spec is a bit too gimmicky with procs, just procs after procs.

Hunter feels alright, they did some improvements with separating the spec playstyles a bit and that's a good change. Sadly marksman isn't anywhere near top dpswise so beastmaster it's probably the spec to play, even though marksman feels a bit more fluid.

So that's 8 out of 11 classes that have at least one spec that's highly enjoyable to play at the moment.
    The rest? Well..

DKs it's just not rolling enough. Blood is still valid for soloing and surviving, but it's not the top pick tank spec anymore.
    Frost and unholy just both feel really clunky. Not fan of either dps spec currently.

Mages, Haven't played with fire after the patch, but well arcane is arcane. It's the same. One might say that same thing about combat rogues, but i don't know..
    Can't put my finger in to it why arcane mages just don't light up as fun. Frost is probably the spec i'll be playing, but not too fussed about playing a mage right now.

Monks, seems that this class bypassed the whole ability pruning and was infact added a couple spell on top. Really not feeling it. Just way too cluttered when 42 slot action bar is not enough to cater a class. Windwalker has so many damage migitation cds for raid and self, things that could have been given to other classes, you know spread out a bit. Brewmaster is currently one of those specs that makes you really feel like playing on your toes. It's constantly dropping your hp in huge chunks and low, you can still survive with your multiple cds. But it doesn't feel good to play like you're constantly on the edge. Windwalker can pull it's weight in numbers, it just feels bloated. Essentially it's trying to reach the same mind set that enhancement shaman currently has, but it just can't quite get there. Easily my least favorite class at the moment is the monk.

The ability pruning was actually a viable reason of mine to return to the game after being away nearly a year. And so far it feels and looks good.
    I really disliked to play multiple classes in MoP and Cata, some dps specs had no flow at all. I've started to shift more and more in to tanking the past two expansions and tanks have generally had much more enjoyable playstyles. Still can't beat combat rogue or enha shaman, but.. yeah. For WoD gonna also add some healing to the mix via dual priest, resto druid and shaman. Played holy pala and mw monk during MoP, but those journeys ended quite shortly.

Most of the opinions are from beta and level 100. The current level 90 situation is just pre expansion stuff, like it has always been. Not really comparable in any way.
    Lot of stuff is just broken and mob difficulty is a joke compared to what it is in WoD currently.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2014-10-23 at 09:14 PM.

I went from pressing 3 buttons on my Fire Mage to pressing 3 buttons on my Fire Mage. Not much has changed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorzzara View Post
    So much QQ =)

man just let em people discuss, its a forum ..