Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Improper Calibration" blamed for votes changing in Chicago

So I heard about this the other day, and they updated it a bit:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...-vote-to-dems/

Basically, at that voting place, if you voted for a republican, it registered it as a vote for the democrat opposing them. Why are we using voting machines that have "Errors" like this? Do they just not take the time to "Calibrate" them?

"“This was a calibration error of the touch-screen on the machine,” Scalzitti told Illinois Watchdog. “When Mr. Moynihan used the touch-screen, it improperly assigned his votes due to improper calibration.”"

Make sure you check your votes before you submit, no matter which side you vote for; who knows how many of these machines are not set up correctly?

I'd take hanging chads over trusting some random machine that may or may not actually work.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be clear, this is not a situation where votes were changed, but that the touch screen was miss-calibrated so it registered the touch as being in the wrong location.

Anyone know if they were diebold machines? Would be funny given their anti-democrat stance.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Someone needs to get Garrus on the job.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It lets you read your results before you confirm them. Does not sound much different from how my phone acts when Im sweating

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Gawd Damn it, I was gonna say that.

Garrus really does need a new job now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    It's probably old touchscreen tech, anyone ever use a smartboard? We had to recalibrate those things every day back in high school, cause otherwise they would mark everything except the thing you were trying to highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFS people.

Here's a sensible method of voting. Unfold it, draw an X in the circle next to the name, fold it back up, and drop it in a sealed box. Then at the end of polling hours, the box is opened and the votes counted, with witnesses from all candidates who bother to send one.

No miscalibration, no hanging chads, no absurd connect-the-dots nonsense to figure out which box votes for which.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    It's probably old touchscreen tech, anyone ever use a smartboard? We had to recalibrate those things every day back in high school, cause otherwise they would mark everything except the thing you were trying to highlight.
    Yeah, that seems like something we should be voting on ;P

- - - Updated - - -

Minnesota still has paper ballots like that.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    FFS people.

Here's a sensible method of voting. Unfold it, draw an X in the circle next to the name, fold it back up, and drop it in a sealed box. Then at the end of polling hours, the box is opened and the votes counted, with witnesses from all candidates who bother to send one.

No miscalibration, no hanging chads, no absurd connect-the-dots nonsense to figure out which box votes for which.
    There is an error on that ballot though.

They put a Green Party candidate on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Gawd Damn it, I was gonna say that.

Garrus really does need a new job now.
    ha ha, my ban is over so now all of the good jokes are mine again!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Let's be fair. We're talking about Chicago. And while it might be annoying that this happened, the fact is Republicans haven't had any serious presence in that city for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Yeah, that seems like something we should be voting on ;P
    After 2000 everyone wanted touch screens because people had trouble with paper ballots. Considering they probably cost several thousand dollars Id like to get some years out of them before they junk from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    After 2000 everyone wanted touch screens because people had trouble with paper ballots. Considering they probably cost several thousand dollars Id like to get some years out of them before they junk from.
    The only people that had trouble with paper ballots should probably not have been voting to begin with, unless they were in some random crazy place with weird ballots. paper ballots=simple, they don't have to be all complex.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Let's be fair. We're talking about Chicago. And while it might be annoying that this happened, the fact is Republicans haven't had any serious presence in that city for how long?
    That is true, but the simple fact remains that these voting machines have this problem, and this was mainly a PSA that had nothing to do with what party it was effecting, but just reminding people to double check that the machine counted it as right, and if it doesen't, talk to the polling people.

Which is sad, because voting is supposed to be a private thing, but in that case you would have to tell the poll running people who you were trying to vote for when it happened.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another reason I favor vote by mail. You draw it in with a pen in your own time. Only yourself to blame.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    unless they were in some random crazy place with weird ballots.
    The "butterfly ballots" count as weird from where I'm sitting.

I was rather stunned when I discovered that the voting machines in the Election Day heist in Payday 2 are accurate representations of the real thing.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-10-23 at 10:53 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    It lets you read your results before you confirm them. Does not sound much different from how my phone acts when Im sweating
    Are you sure you want to vote for X?
    "No I want to vote for Y!" *mashes cancel*
    Vote confirmed. Thank you for doing your part and voting!

Chicago has always been shady. Even today they find ballot boxes of uncounted paper votes in basements and cellars.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Chicago has always been shady. Even today they find ballot boxes of uncounted paper votes in basements and cellars.
    Can you show me a source for this? My Google-Fu is weak and only shows the mess up in Florida during the 2004 Presidential Election reported by the Chicago Tribune when I type in Uncounted Paper Ballots in Chicago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Pff he'd just shoot the corrupt politicians(I am not advocating this but it's in Garrus' character).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

So I heard about this the other day, and they updated it a bit:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...-vote-to-dems/

Basically, at that voting place, if you voted for a republican, it registered it as a vote for the democrat opposing them. Why are we using voting machines that have "Errors" like this? Do they just not take the time to "Calibrate" them?

"“This was a calibration error of the touch-screen on the machine,” Scalzitti told Illinois Watchdog. “When Mr. Moynihan used the touch-screen, it improperly assigned his votes due to improper calibration.”"

Make sure you check your votes before you submit, no matter which side you vote for; who knows how many of these machines are not set up correctly?

I'd take hanging chads over trusting some random machine that may or may not actually work.
    what I find dubious these calibration errors more often then not seam to benefit democrats
    no conspiracy just an observation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Can you show me a source for this? My Google-Fu is weak and only shows the mess up in Florida during the 2004 Presidential Election reported by the Chicago Tribune when I type in Uncounted Paper Ballots in Chicago.
    http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...tes-in-chicago

As a software tech - it's insanely easy to mess up calibration when it comes to touch screens.