Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I've Quit WoW, But Not MMORPGs

First and foremost, this is not a "WoW sucks, bye." thread. I can't stand those.

Lately I had to admit my overstay in World of Warcraft, and it wasn't easy. I've played WoW since 2008, and I've played it a lot. As of lately, I've been feeling the need to move on and find a fresh start in another worthy MMORPG. It seems that the last few years or so haven't been good for MMOs, and I hope this changes. I'm having a hard time finding a new one that suits my wants and needs. Other than GW2 and ESO there doesn't seem to be much on the table. All I want is an MMO that will hold up for years to come, and is expansive and interesting. PVP is an important element, as I like challenging, fair competition. Are there any MMOs you'd honestly recommend? I gave GW2 a shot, and I like it. I just don't want to end the search too soon.

This goes to anyone who has quit WoW and has found another worthy MMO. Which one do you play now?

I didn't quit WoW ( well i've stopped playing until the release of WoD, but i always stop playing towards the end of an expansion) but I am really digging Archeage now. Give it a try. While it has quests and dungeons and stuff it's very sandboxy and there is a lot of player interactions. You can buy land, have a farm, grow stuff, do trade routes and sell wares for profit, build a boat, navigate the ocean, naval combat etc. I'm personally enjoying it.

I've played most MMORPG, but nothing comes close to WoW. So you will have to settle for something slightly smaller on scale. With the remarks you made i could recommend Wildstar.

ultima online is still running, our guild (which was huge) changed to wow, so i started with it,
    eve online is HUGE if u like sci-fi settings and trading.

Newer stuff i dont really care about, Elder scroll seems promising.

I've played almost all available MMOs, nothing comes close to how good WoW is. You will probably try others and end up coming back, like most of us! Not all, but most.

You should check out SWTOR, levelling your first character is very fun and it is also F2P. There is a bonus just now until December where you level solo through class missions, but that's really only a bonus for players who have already done the side missions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I don't think one can quit WoW but not mmorpgs, you'll be back, they all come back eventually. But for your time out I would highly recommend rift

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    But for your time out I would highly recommend rift
    Rift is a meh now. Nothing new.

I would recommend to try Wildstar, but he will drop it soon (due to lack of eldergame content and boring farm, althrough it has a couple of really interesting gameplay mechanics - like playing in lower gravity locations for example - it was fun on leveling).

Currently there is no real alternative to World of Warcraft, at least in PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can play Archage or Wildstar. One is free and one is sub.
    However its not totaly free.....12.99 a mounth. 2 euro cheaper than wow. Well it gives you priority in queene.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

if you love pvp i cannot recommend DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) enough. it's an old game but it has some of the best pvp of any game out there. I played it for 6 years and never grew tired of it..only reason I don't play it anymore is because I miss the way it was during its glory days and playing it now is nostalgically-painful, but to a new-comer they wouldn't know the difference..it's still a fantastic game...think you can do a free week or 2 trial as well.

I wouldn't recommend Wildstar at all. One look at the megathread on any given day and you'll understand why.

GW2 is good in the beginning, but once you have 100% map completion if you hate their Living Story content updates (which I did) then enjoyment of the game basically takes a nosedive. I probably could have quit after 3 months of playing and saved myself a lot of time and frustration.

I've thoroughly enjoyed ESO, but it's not for everyone.

It's interesting because I quit WoW about 3.5 years ago, shortly after Cataclysm. I'd been playing since early 2005, so about 6 years? I've bounced around from MMO to MMO since trying to find another 'home' and have never found one I felt like playing longer than a year at maximum. I wish you luck, but it's not easy finding a replacement for WoW and you may find that you never do.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    if you love pvp i cannot recommend DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) enough.
    Yes, DAoC or EVE Online if you love all forms of PvP.

As much as I despised what it turned out to be, there's also SWTOR as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    You can play Archage or Wildstar. One is free and one is sub.
    However its not totaly free.....12.99 a mounth. 2 euro cheaper than wow. Well it gives you priority in queene.
    but there is like no queue left in archeage.

10+ Year Old Account
    ArcheAge truly is awesome. The graphics look amazing and the feeling of the open, alive world is awesome as well. The game can be repetitive, though, but it really is a game where you have to find something fun for you.

It has been said before, but if you like spaceships / sci-fi setting than I can recommend EvE Online wholeheartedly. I still play WoW now, especially since 6.0, but I have played since Vanilla beta and these days I spent most my time in EvE Online. The majority of players just does a bit of PvE to generate income to pay for PvP activities, PvP is extremly fun, exiting and awesome. PvE is okay in the game but PvP is where its at, it is not only challenging, it is easy to start getting loads of fun out of it but very difficult to master. Years and years of fun to be had. I have been playing EvE since about a year and a half and am sad I didnt discover it earlier.

One downside though, learning curve for doing anything in the game is extremely high, tutorial is a bit on the crappy side... hit me up on MMO-C messaging or something if you want to know more or need a guide in EvE. The game has many advantages, for instance only one server, so if you start playing it, we will be on the same server called Tranquility, with about 7500 star systems.
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know why people dog Wildstar so much, sure it had its flaws but personally I really enjoyed the time I played the game. Ive quit for the time being to prep for WoD but when Wildstar does fix more of the problems theyve had and WoW gets to the point im bored again I'll gladly give the game another shot. Its the closest game to WoW I've found and played

Same situation here - having no more fun anymore in WoW, i searched for a decent substitute to fill my MMO needs; i simply like to be in a world with other people even if i'm playing alone.

Archeage looks pretty cool, but i don't know why after a couple of hours of playing i simply felt no more the need to log and play again. I think it's been the fastest burnout ever for me - i'm not saying the game is bad, just that i never experienced anything in this way.

Wildstar was a game everyone had lots of expectations about - myself included - and i have had a blast playing my Chua Engineer. Imho, it's not THAT demanding in terms of personal effort, the combat system just forces you to be aware of the surroundings and focuses much more on your personal skill unlike other more "forgiving" games like WoW. Anyway, this isn't the real problem - the commitment required to play endgame is way too high for the majority of players, added to a very bad management from the team and more importantly the refusal to admit they have taken such decision is waht is driving this game to the pit.
    A transition to F2P plus a rework of the endgame to be accessioble to everyone can make the difference but it's something they need to start right now - the more time passes, the uglier the future is looking for this game. I'm truly sad about this, but it's no way worth the sub fee.

I just started playing RIFT, and it seems the right one for me. I've seen very little of the game but it looks alive and fun - alòso it's F2P so there is no reason at all to not try it. At worse you're going to uninstall it in a few days or hours.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I don't think one can quit WoW but not mmorpgs, you'll be back, they all come back eventually
    /shrug

Been clean for years now.

Hell, even done with "tab target" MMOs in general.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I am back in Lotro. With my guild practically dead in Cataclysm (even Pandaria when it was new couldn't really revitalize what Cataclysm destroyed), and my sister and her husband having left in Cataclysm, I can't really seem to get enjoyment from WoW anymore (though I had fun during my time in Pandaria for the most part). I have tried many MMORPGs. The only ones to actually keep me interested were Rift and Lotro.

Although, when Rift released Storm Legion expansion, I felt the quality and fun of the game dropped. I couldn't even force myself to get past level 55. The aesthetics of the Storm Legion zones also didn't do much for me (though the rainforest-like start zone for SL looked good).

I enjoy Lotro, even though you need to pay for quest packs. But that's not nearly so bad as you gain their cash shop currency by completing deeds (sorta like achievements), which makes that part of it tolerable. And they have weekly sales on their cash shop, so if you are patient you could get those quest packs (and other things) for 25%-50% off. The class design could be better.

Are there any MMOs you'd honestly recommend? I gave GW2 a shot, and I like it. I just don't want to end the search too soon.
    IF PVP is an important factor; no. PVP in 2nd era design is a corruption. It is popular but it is not good game design. No game developed in the 2nd era style of MMORPG game design supports such- not even World of Warcraft. The latter is simply large, populous enough, to offset the contradictory game design.

However, Rift is as well made a 2nd era MMO as has ever been. Lord of the Rings Online and Everquest 2 are also fairly well thought out in their design.

Of 3rd wave MMOs; Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 have a lot of embedded design for extended play.

I don't think one can quit WoW but not mmorpgs, you'll be back, they all come back eventually. But for your time out I would highly recommend rift
    I never went back to World of Warcraft. It was the least enjoyable of all 2nd era MMOs I played.