Getting lag, what needs upgraded?

I've noticed that since 6.0, I am running into some lag on occasion where it hasn't been before. I play with Vsync on because that's the only way to play IMO, and so dips in framerate are noticeable. I imagine that it will get worse when WoD is released because new content always seems to be more detailed than previous. I'm not playing at ultra settings because I raid and don't care about graphics too much. I think they are at "high."

My computer:
    Intel Core i5 4670k at stock speeds
    8GB of RAM
    EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Superclocked
    256GB Intel SSD

My options: overclock the processor, get another card for SLI, or get a new video card altogether. I got the 660 a few months ago because my old video card died and I only play WoW, which seemed unlikely to utilize anything better. I'm familiar with overclocking, but I've avoided doing it because I value complete stability over uber 1337 benchmarks, but now that it's becoming a problem I'm considering it. I have a custom water cooling system in my closet but I haven't used it with this processor because it's a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by triplebeam; 2014-10-24 at 05:15 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, that system would've been enough to run ultra (or close to it) prior to 6.0. 6.0 IS WOD graphics-wise though, and it requires a much better GPU than 5.4 did. Your CPU is more than fine. I would look into a video card upgrade. Maybe look into getting a 970.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your rig looks fine to run Ultra minus Shadows (which are never worth it, by the way). Overclock the CPU and you should be good.

So turn Shadows to 'Low' at most, make sure you have an adequate CPU cooler, and you should easily hit 4.4GHz on the CPU and be good to go.
    Last edited by Marxman; 2014-10-26 at 02:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Your rig looks fine to run Ultra minus Shadows (which are never worth it, by the way).
    Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Well, that's just like your opinion, man.
    For raiding*.

Since you can set different profiles for each now, I see no reason to ever have Shadows better than 'Good' in your Raid and Dungeon tab. It's just a tremendous resource hog, even on top-of-the-line machines.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Your rig looks fine to run Ultra minus Shadows (which are never worth it, by the way). Overclock the CPU and you should be good.

So turn Shadows to 'Low' at most, make sure you have an adequate CPU cooler, and you should easily hit 4.4GHz on the CPU and be good to go.
    A 660 would've cut it for mostly ultra in MOP. In 6.0 it will not. You need a better GPU. I'd recommend at minimum a 770 if you want to push full ultra, bumping up to a 970 if you can afford it, especially if you play other more GPU intensive games.

As is, the 660 is not a bad GPU, it's not just enough for ultra anymore. It should still be able to run high.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a Radeon R9 290. However, I also got a 1440p monitor and the lag is more noticeable than before. Most of my raid settings are on fair.

Weird observation: my GPU load in GPU-Z looks like this when in WoW:

Doesn't the spikiness/low utilization show that its not being used fully, i.e. it is not the bottleneck?

For the record, I don't think it is throttling itself due to heat. I ran 3DMark and it was pegged at 100%, and my score was within range of what I'd expect.

Edit: Embedded the image for you. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2014-12-31 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty typical when your CPU is the bottleneck. It's not a GPU problem in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's pretty typical when your CPU is the bottleneck. It's not a GPU problem in that case.
    Which should have been apparent to begin with, imo. Don't listen to random people on the internet without doing some background. Your GPU never was the problem, as a GTX 660 was more than capable. A simple overclock would've sufficed, as WoW is highly CPU dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellum View Post
    Which should have been apparent to begin with, imo. Don't listen to random people on the internet without doing some background. Your GPU never was the problem, as a GTX 660 was more than capable. A simple overclock would've sufficed, as WoW is highly CPU dependent.
    I knew that it was, but I've been told that it became GPU dependent with WoD. I just don't understand how anyone can run at 4K resolution if I can't get 60 fps at 1440p on fair settings. I'll try overclocking.