Thread: Skinny Arms

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Skinny Arms

Hello,

I recently ended a long diet and I lost alot of weight but I no longer have any strength anymore. I have weak arms now and I want to increase some muscle mass but there aren't any decent GYMs near my home but I have 2 5KG dumbells.

Could you guys tell me whats the best way I can use these at home and gain back some strength......?
    "It is always darkest just before the dawn " ~Thomas Fuller

Deleted
    5kgs is nowhere near enough, invest in a decent weight set using olympic style bars and weights, more expensive but will last a lifetime.

lift weights
    eat lots of meat
    dont quit

that will solve the problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post
    Just do what this guy is doing for a living: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g
    Planet fitness is a no judgment zone, they kick the bodybuilder out after judging him. Classy.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 - 15 lbs weights can be a good start. 5lbs is a bit pointless.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Well, you could start by doing push ups and pull ups, basically just using your own bodyweight for the exercise. It won't cost you a thing. Then if you think that isn't enough you can invest more money for weights.

Don't want to be hungry, buy food. Don't want weak ass fucking arms, buy weights.

To get really jacked, and you are unsure how to do it alone, invest in a personal trainer.

Some say it be a waste of money, but they can better set you up with your goals, diet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    5 kg =/= 5 lbs...

To the OP, you may need to invest in more free weights. Some stores have decent home gyms. Look for one with a bench, possibly some sort of cable system and with a barbell.

From there you can put together a program to get some strength training in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    5kgs is nowhere near enough, invest in a decent weight set using olympic style bars and weights, more expensive but will last a lifetime.
    I got myself a set of these (or equivalent) the other day:

Much cheaper than buying non-adjustable weights or those fancy on the fly adjustable weights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    5kg is about 11 pounds.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Compound exercises is what's going to make your body grow, not isolation.

If you have no literal base to build upon use your own bodyweight as a core, ergo, push ups, chin ups, sit ups ect.

Eat at a surplus of 3-500 calories a day and watch as you put on weight and strength.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2014-10-24 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankipappa View Post
    Well, you could start by doing push ups and pull ups, basically just using your own bodyweight for the exercise. It won't cost you a thing. Then if you think that isn't enough you can invest more money for weights.
    If you're already pretty heavy, it's often easier to start with weights. I have about 120 lbs in dumbbells, for example that I can adjust to whatever level I want, whereas I weigh about 240 lbs and I'm not very adjustable. That's an issue for stuff like pull ups, and while I can do pushups, they put a lot more stress on my joints than using dumbbells.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    To get really jacked, and you are unsure how to do it alone, invest in a personal trainer.

Some say it be a waste of money, but they can better set you up with your goals, diet, etc.
    In my experience, personal trainers don't know shit. Depends which one, and what gym you go to I suppose.

@OP you could use a bodyweight exercise routine aimed at hypertrophy, but that's definitely not the most optimal way to go about it. My personal recommendation is to gain access to an olympic bar and start on a 5x5 routine like the one on Stronglifts. It'll develop strength as well as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. You don't have to go to a great gym, any place that has an olympic bar, some weights and a squat/power rack will do, and I've yet to hear of a gym that has none of those.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Don't go for dumbbells that are exaggeratedly heavy... that's some real gym-anxiety right there.
    Personally I think I am lucky and build muscle quite easily (noticed after my loss, sig), but when it comes to male arms, is there really anything else than daily physical exercises and a surplus of protein? Casein products...?

Again, don't go for dumbbells so heavy you can barely do a few reps.. what's the point if you won't allow yourself to build your strength?
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2014-10-24 at 07:40 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Don't go for dumbbells that are exaggeratedly heavy... that's some real gym-anxiety right there.
    Personally I think I am lucky and build muscle quite easily (noticed after my loss, sig), but when it comes to male arms, is there really anything else than daily physical exercises and a surplus of protein? Casein products...?

Again, don't go for dumbbells so heavy you can barely do a few reps.. what's the point if you won't allow yourself to build your strength?
    Strength training is about low reps at high intensity. Entire programs are built around this idea. So heavy dumbbells absolutely work, and work better for strength than lower loads with more reps/sets.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted

No cardio, no walking, no letting any protein leave your body.

Invest in a wheelchair to save those sweet, sweet gainz, when you fap ingest that spent protein, and always, always remember to bring a tub of protein powder and take your creatine in lines.

Or alternatively utilize dat dere celltech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    No cardio, no walking, no letting any protein leave your body.

Invest in a wheelchair to save those sweet, sweet gainz, when you fap ingest that spent protein, and always, always remember to bring a tub of protein powder and take your creatine in lines.

Or alternatively utilize dat dere celltech.
    interesting methods... x)

"oh so that's why my thighs became so muscular after a thousand miles on a treadmill"

It's actually quite fascinating what kind of "balance" the body needs to build muscle instead of using it in vain
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2014-10-25 at 06:31 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

"oh so that's why my thighs became so muscular after a thousand miles on a treadmill"

Meh what do I know x) Muscles needs plenty of minerals, proteins and whatnot to build, but at the same time it's not like you want to build up your fat reserves in the process. Personally I think visible strength is a bi-product of hard work, not that you work towards visible toning and hope your strength builds in the process.

It's actually quite fascinating what kind of "balance" the body needs to build muscle instead of using it in vain
    You can very much train specifically for hypertrophy. You end up with huge muscles, but not the strength to match it unless you also dedicate time to strength training. While if you train for strength, you usually end up with a more athletic-type build with obvious muscle definition but without that much mass.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    Actually, 5kg dumbbells are enough to start building bigger arms!

Just look up some youtube instructions and focus on only a few exercises at first and slowly build up.