Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Crossfire, LoL and WoW Remain the World's Top Online Games in Revnue Intake (Report)

Unsurprisngly, Riot, Z8Games and Blizzard remain on top, but are joined by Nexon (Dungeon Fighter Online) at 3rd place. All four companies made about $750+ million in a 9 month time span (January to September).

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/th...ue-of-legends/

New comers include Hearthstone (10) and Dota 2 (9).

EDIT

-snip-
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-10-25 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ESO ahead of SWToR nice to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep this is not surprising at all, wonder why Blizzard's jumped so much, is the "micro transactions" counting WoD sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacabra View Post
    Yep this is not surprising at all, wonder why Blizzard's jumped so much, is the "micro transactions" counting WoD sales?
    Blizzard gained 600k subs the last quarter; WoD sold a ton preorder for at least $50 a piece (not going to quote sales numbers because I don't remember); Hearthstone had a new $20 expansion pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Considering ESO launched this year so it had the bevy of $60 box sales, that's not super impressive given that it's barely ahead of SWTOR : /

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Blizzard gained 600k subs the last quarter; WoD sold a ton preorder for at least $50 a piece (not going to quote sales numbers because I don't remember); Hearthstone had a new $20 expansion pack.
    Ah I messed up and thought this was micro transactions only, makes sense now :P!

15+ Year Old Account
    So LoL, Dota 2 and Hearthstone, to name a few, are classified as MMOs?

but are joined by Nexon (Dungeon Fighter Online) at 3rd place.
    Wonder why Nexon shut down DFO then...

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Yes because MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online game, they didn't add rpg/moba/fps/rts/etc to further classify it.
    Last edited by Rigrot; 2014-10-25 at 04:45 AM.
    I don't know. Something.

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    The study focuses on online games in general, not necessarily real MMOs exclusvely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacabra View Post
    Ah I messed up and thought this was micro transactions only, makes sense now :P!
    This was micro-transactions only.

Total WoW revenue counting Subscriptions and game sales puts it around 1.1-1.2 billion at the lowest.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

-snip-

/10char
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-10-25 at 05:41 AM.

700 million just off the cash shop? Jesus Christ.. WoW alone pulls in over A BILLION dollars a year..

I'm assuming this includes faction changes/race changes/etc also?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    So for ESO this means box sales and the limited stuff in the store only. Still nice to hear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    So for ESO this means box sales and the limited stuff in the store only. Still nice to hear.
    5 million more but that is a good 83k box sales if people paid retail, and no one paid retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Clarification: the study does not include the subscriptions for WoW; just microtransacions. That means WoW made over 700 million off of pets, mounts, and helms. If you included the pric of subs, WoW made fa, far more than LoL this year.
    Revenue also includes subscriptions

also this study is a bit fuzzy since it is based on superdata (which has been wrong before)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Revenue also includes subscriptions
    That's not what the study said.
    "Check out the full list below, and keep in mind that this only takes into account revenues from in-game spending on PC (so no subscription revenue for World of Warcraft or mobile spending for Hearthstone)"

That's not what the study said.
    that article is wrong

also look at that superdata chart compared to last years chart on micro-transactions. Specifically look at World of Warcraft

2013 - $213 million. A believable number for micro transactions for WoW considering their huge player base (with a limited cash shop as well)
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/20/10...les-last-year/
    2014 - $728 million. That is most certainly combined with sub revenue. Plus if you read the actual chart it doesn't say it excludes subscription revenue, only the the third party article says that.
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/th...ue-of-legends/

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrot View Post
    Wonder why Nexon shut down DFO then...
    In the West. It wasn't making any money over here, but it's massive in China/Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    that article is wrong
    This. It appears the article is incorrect in excluding subscription revenue. There's no way many of those games (SWTOR, ESO, WoW) would be anywhere near that amount of revenue from non-subscription revenue alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    In the West. It wasn't making any money over here, but it's massive in China/Korea.

This. It appears the article is incorrect in excluding subscription revenue. There's no way many of those games (SWTOR, ESO, WoW) would be anywhere near that amount of revenue from non-subscription revenue alone.
    Yeah I mean I'm not one to underestimate people's willingness to throw money at Blizzard for all things WoW but $728 million for micro transactions is a ridiculously high number.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ahh I assumed it was based of US sales for some reason, either way DFO closed beta is opening march 2015 so I'm excited.
    I don't know. Something.