Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    I recently installed WoW and subbed to see the 6.0 changes and I just got so god damn bored I couldn't handle it and I said "WTF am i even doing here" and logged off / uninstalled the game. Now I went to look up movies to go watch at the cinema and I cannot find anything that looks interesting, everything looks utterly average and not worth the time/effort/money. I look at steam games and it all looks boring to me.

In the past few years I've had some life changing things happen (positive things) started lifting, finished uni, obtained a great job, got engaged, started playing sports, started being a lot more active socially with family/friends. Going to be 27 soon and I always thought I'd be into gaming/movies forever but I just cannot even pretend to be interested any longer.

I use to always build a new PC every year and now that earn the most money Ive ever earned in my life and have so much disposable income I still don't even care about building new PCs, every so often I think "time to do it" and then it hits me.....I don't even have a reason to build them anymore, i don't even fkn do anything on the PC.

My PC is 3 years old soon and this is by far the longest I've ever gone without min-maxing a new build every time new CPU/GPU come out. Even recently now when the iphone 6 came out usually I'd be all over that shit but I just-dont-care - still using iphone 4, contract expired years ago.

What's wrong with me bros?
    I have had the exact same feeling while I was super happy with my life and had proper goals...

Now thats winter again and I stopped the gym well I feel the need to play... It seems to me that WoW is only playable during my unhappy-depressed times.

And it has to be like that I trully believe that people that play wow in general are depressed and have no need to participate in real life.
    I am talking for the guys that pick the game on their own and play on their own.

When I started the game and all of my friends were playing it I was definitely not depressed or anything it was just that everyone in my circle even the girls were playing it so ye that was a reason behind it. But noawadays depression is the only reason as my circle doesnt play this game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Only thing I have ever find beyond those things is misery
    Then perhaps you should stop searching for misery.

Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Then perhaps you should stop searching for misery.
    That is all there is these days. Everything has went downhill. Accept it and spare yourself the disappointment

10+ Year Old Account
    I can totally relate to you. I've also lost interest in most of the games/movies today. It's rare to find a game/movie that's actually good nowadays.
    I'm not actually sure if it's me, or the game developers/movie directors that are worse than they were before.

The difference between us though, is that I haven't found new stuff to do, so right now I'm mostly just sitting home doing nothing. Kinda sad :P

That said, I don't believe that it will be like this forever.

That is all there is these days. Everything has went downhill. Accept it and spare yourself the disappointment
    Is this supposed to be some kind of advice? To accept that there is 'only misery in this world'? The human is free to do whatever the hell he/she want. I guess society/media today has made it look this way, but I won't accept it.
    Last edited by Pivotal; 2014-10-25 at 12:16 PM.

Shows how much you need to grow out of your virtual reality.

You may either be (or both) tired due to more work/life responsibilities or depressed, seeking enjoyment in things that are not satisfying your actual inner desires.

You may be living an inauthentic life.

death is the only escape

I don't think anything is "wrong". Just do the shit you like. That will change over time, this isn't terribly surprising. Personally, I'm 29 and still like gaming, but I definitely invest less time in it than I used to.

Deleted
    I'm exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    For some invalid reason you view technological entertainment as a sign of immaturity and weakness.
    The only immaturity is a lack of balance and I am sure a fair few of us can admit to going off the deep end with wow. I do empathise with OP on WoW though, I find it very hard to pick up after a break, usually takes friends to get me back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently installed WoW and subbed to see the 6.0 changes and I just got so god damn bored I couldn't handle it and I said "WTF am i even doing here" and logged off / uninstalled the game. Now I went to look up movies to go watch at the cinema and I cannot find anything that looks interesting, everything looks utterly average and not worth the time/effort/money. I look at steam games and it all looks boring to me.

In the past few years I've had some life changing things happen (positive things) started lifting, finished uni, obtained a great job, got engaged, started playing sports, started being a lot more active socially with family/friends. Going to be 27 soon and I always thought I'd be into gaming/movies forever but I just cannot even pretend to be interested any longer.

I use to always build a new PC every year and now that earn the most money Ive ever earned in my life and have so much disposable income I still don't even care about building new PCs, every so often I think "time to do it" and then it hits me.....I don't even have a reason to build them anymore, i don't even fkn do anything on the PC.

My PC is 3 years old soon and this is by far the longest I've ever gone without min-maxing a new build every time new CPU/GPU come out. Even recently now when the iphone 6 came out usually I'd be all over that shit but I just-dont-care - still using iphone 4, contract expired years ago.

Someone posts this exact same thing at least once a month. Congrats on discovering women at 26.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Some people's tastes change with age.

Me? My way of being totally enraptured by technology has only gotten more prevalent as I've gotten older. I'm nearly 28 now and even more of a tech-head than I was when I was in university 5 years ago.

I know what I like. I knew it back then, too; I always knew that I loved technology, and I loved to write.

As I've gotten older, I've really only cemented myself into what I do. I've made those things my career, I've surrounded myself with likeminded folks. Some people find other things that interest them as they grow, but me? I guess I was a little too focused for that.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-10-25 at 02:28 PM.

I got burned out on WoW a few years ago because the devs keep pushing useless changes. Every time a new xpac would get released, I would logoff and not play for weeks or months because I don't want the hassle of relearning game mechanics. I would slowly get back into it via some PvP. MoP was the first time my interest completely died with a new xpac and I never came back, altho I barely came back for cata.

With movies, I am VERY careful not to become a movie "expert". I noticed that seemingly all movie experts are cynical and hate movies. People who don't understand much about how movies are made seem much more happy with movies. Movies are pure entertainment, so I made a conscious decision to NOT learn too much about how movies are made. It increases the odds they will keep making me happy. The key thing is, once you get turned into a cynic from the knowledge, I don't know if there is a way back.

Same. Technology used to fill a void much like I'd eat brussel sprouts if I were hungry and had no other option. But if there's something else available, I go for that instead. And as you age and your life gets more broad, there are far more "somethings" available to fill the void and maybe you never really liked tech/video games as much as you thought. Maybe you just liked having your void filled. That's not immaturity, it's just growth.
    Last edited by drakensoul; 2014-10-25 at 02:41 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    For some invalid reason you view technological entertainment as a sign of immaturity and weakness.
    Exactly this!
    You've not "grown out" of it, That's a completely stupid choice of words, It's not an immature, or a childish thing to do.

But it's just obvious your interests have changed, But ofcourse one could ask if you've "grown out" of games, Why are you here, seeking validation, on a gaming website?

You just couldn't moderate it before, and so now you're treating it as all or nothing. I'm engaged, I play hockey, I work a demanding job, and i still like to play WoW a fair amount when I'm not spending time with my fiancee or working.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    How exactly would you "grow out of technology"? Well, I guess if you never lived before certain technological advancements, then it might feel like a quaint thing to "grow out of them."

How far are you taking this Luddite lifestyle of yours? Moving from a smartphone to a regular cellphone? Ditching mobiles altogether and getting a landline, or getting rid of the phone completely? Throwing out your PC, laptop, tablet? Throwing out your gaming consoles? Going from an iPod to a DiscMan, WalkMan, or getting rid of portable music altogether? Getting an oldschool boombox, going straight to a radio, or not listening to music at all? Going from bluray to DVD, VHS or even betamax? Downgrading your flatscreen to an oldschool 24" CRT stereo TV, perhaps a 20" mono, or a 15" black and white one? Getting rid of your microwave? Getting rid of all kinds of kitchen appliances? Getting rid of your dishwasher and laundry machine?

Yeah. Have fun in the "shit technology" -land. I've been there. That place sucks, and I'm not going back there.

Deleted
    A lot of overly ridiculously defensive people posting here

15+ Year Old Account
    How is this a problem? Sounds like you've improved your life a great deal. Besides entertainment, there's very little value to gaming, no point forcing it.

Deleted
    In my opinion, it's perfectly normal and actually a good thing to stop playing / play less video games and do more social stuff once you grow up (and imho some or even most people only start growing up during their late university years when relationships start to get serious, as in getting married / get children / you're about to get your first real job etc.). I never thought that I'd be there playing video games forever. I turn 25 this year, just started my master program at the university and I already feel quite similiar to you.

I used to be the guy that was super hyped when some new game would be released, I literally played videos games every day since I got my first game boy in 1996 but over the years my interest faded away to a point where I would exclusively play wow because every non online game would bore me to death. Now I'm at a point where even online games begin to feel boring.

It's exactly the way you said it, you start the game and get this sudden realisation of 'what am I doing here' and you just don't know what kept you playing for such a long time but I guess that's just how growing up works and I feel quite positive about it.