Poll: Whats the seating etiquette in university?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I never had a "spot" but I did notice during law school there were WAY more people who had "their" spot versus people I saw sitting in the same seat during undergrad. I wonder if that is tied to a certain personality trait...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I never had a "spot" but I did notice during law school there were WAY more people who had "their" spot versus people I saw sitting in the same seat during undergrad. I wonder if that is tied to a certain personality trait...
    If you've been to law school, you probably know very well what that trait is. It may begin with "A" and end with "L." I have that trait too, but in a different profession.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    There are no reserved seats in college/university...
    Yes, there are. You sit in my seat in the Workshops or Lectures, you're getting death stares all the way through!

As others have said there is no reserved seats; you get what's available. Maybe the guy is autistic or something? I don't mean that in an insulting way but I work with SEN kids and there is a boy in my year 13 group who would do exactly what you just described without even realising how odd it comes across.

Deleted
    At university it dosen't matter where you sit, people normally dont care.
    Last edited by mmocf08512cd4b; 2014-10-25 at 08:37 PM. Reason: misspelled something

Reserved seats, no, not usually unless the instructor sets up the class that way (more likely for smaller classes). So you didn't break any rules. Seating etiquette, yes, that exists. People have preferred seats, sometimes for good reasons you may not know. So you did break etiquette. I know that's not the what you're expecting for your little echo chamber, because of how you loaded your pole choices.

15+ Year Old Account

Smaller lecture halls/classes: Where you sit is generally "your" seat. If you take someone else's seat expect to get looks from them at the least.
    Big lecture halls/classes: Unless you get there 30 min early don't expect to ever sit in the same seat twice.

The amount of the above mentality depends on how big or small. For instance in a lecture hall of 100 you might have a lot of people who claim seats while others don't give a crap. In a lecture hall of 500 nobody is gonna give a crap except for the front row sitters. In a class of 20 yeah everyone is going to sit in pretty much the same seat that they did on the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    I know that's not the what you're expecting for your little echo chamber, because of how you loaded your pole choices.
    The way i loaded my pole choices was totally subconscious and not intentionally biased. I am expecting fair answers, im not that sensitive towards different opinions to mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Front row part two: "I hate all of my classmates and don't want to look at their ugly heads."

*Raises her hand*

Also, my last two years had about 90% of lectures in a 200 seat room; the vast majority of the time always had the same seat.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-10-25 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If you've been to law school, you probably know very well what that trait is. It may begin with "A" and end with "L." I have that trait too, but in a different profession.
    Hahaha.

Touché.

Deleted
    By nature we get used to a routine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    you're getting death stares all the way through!
    Made me chuckle.

I always sit on the second leftmost seat in the second row. Always!

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It went like this for me: where you sat the first day of class was your spot.
    Same for me, everyone sat in the same spot and only moved if the teacher asked us to for group work. I never had any 150 person classes though, all mine were 30 people or under in both undergrad and grad.

I always sat in the back of the room, usually on the edge because it was where I was most comfortable. I once had a teacher once tell me people who sit in the back of the room usually do bad in her class. I told her I like the back of the room and have no plans to fail. I got an A in her class. At the end of the semester I told her I was a 4.0 student and that where I sit has no bearing on how well I do.

in big lecture I sit wherever

if it's <40 people we kind of all sit in the same spot

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hahaha.

Touché.
    It's a fine trait, if used well.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    No, but if the person for example has problems reading from the blackboard, it would be polite to change seats (if you're sitting in the front).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i think in every single lesson people instincitvly sit in the same/similar spots throughout the year and barely move, no idea why :S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Smaller lecture halls/classes: Where you sit is generally "your" seat. If you take someone else's seat expect to get looks from them at the least.
    Big lecture halls/classes: Unless you get there 30 min early don't expect to ever sit in the same seat twice.

The amount of the above mentality depends on how big or small. For instance in a lecture hall of 100 you might have a lot of people who claim seats while others don't give a crap. In a lecture hall of 500 nobody is gonna give a crap except for the front row sitters. In a class of 20 yeah everyone is going to sit in pretty much the same seat that they did on the first day.
    I usually sit on the seat behind the mid center guy :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually sit in the middle of the front row so that I have perfect visibility of everything on all blackboards. No one in my courses complain if anyone sits in "their" seat, though not a lot of people take courses like commutative algebra and galois theory so there are a lot of seats to choose from.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn what kind of people are on your course.

Maybe it's different with smaller groups though, in our little 18man lecture (my smallest) theres at least 4x as many seats as people so it's just wherever, people form little clusters. Rest of my lectures its like 80+ sometimes 120+ because they've mixed a lot of 3rd and 4th year modules and like 4 different courses into one. People tend to sit in "similar" places there. Like I get shouted at by a friend if I don't sit on the back row like normal.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Depends size of class. Big rooms is FFA. small rooms are a complex matter, I'd say by rule of thumbs if u spend 3 times a week in same room people tend to find a regular seat.